So now that the strike is done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you expect to be offered a salary with benefits, or any changes to happen immediately? This is a process. It takes time for the movement to build.
I expected nothing to happen. Which is what happened, nothing. Uber already destroyed all the benefits that taxi driving had. I don't expect Uber drivers to be able to redo what they did over 100 years in just 20 years before automation.

UberBeemer

Nothing yet. But the fact is, people all over get to hear us via news stories.

The UAW had to fight for years before they succeeded in organizing and gained collective bargaining. And they had to fight thugs that beat and shot protesters.

UberBeemer

Uber drivers logic: "if I hurt one of my only two business partner enough, my working condition and pay is sure to improve!"

Uber logic: "If we are hurting, we need to cut pay driver pay to improve our financial performance!"

Everyone loses.
I prefer to try rather than sit back and repeat over and over again that we're all doomed, while at the same time, complain about working conditions.

Seems there's just not a lot of "try" in some folks though.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
At least people now get it that rideshare drivers aren't rich so stop with the expectation that water and mints must be in every car. If there are drivers who can afford this on a regular basis, great, but hopefully pax will slow down with the entitlement.

UberAdrian

Is it obvious to everyone that striking doesn't work? I hope we all learned our lesson and we can move on without anymore silly strikes.
It's not and you're completely wrong. It was highly effective. I can guarantee you the media coverage alone will scare enough investors to mess with their IPO. That was the point. The direct damage caused by the strike is irrelevant at this point.

It also spread a lot of awareness among pax/general public etc and it serves as a stepping stone to future, larger strikes.

It even made it into late night shows like Trevor Noah. I consider it a great success.

Think harder and wider!

AveragePerson

I prefer to try rather than sit back and repeat over and over again that we're all doomed, while at the same time, complain about working conditions.

What is there to try though? Uber makes the rules, you take it or you leave it. Thats it. They are the creator, they get to dicate how the ship is steered.

Point is, imagine a world without Uber, you'll have to do something else. Because of Uber, there's an additional option for you to make money. If your not happy with that option just pretend Uber doesn't exist and your back at square one, instead of trying to sabotage someone else's creation just because you personally can't financially take advantage of it.

UberAdrian

What is there to try though? Uber makes the rules, you take it or you leave it. Thats it. They are the creator, they get to dicate how the ship is steered.
That's merely how it's been done in the past. Things change. Uber are a few thousand nerds, drivers are millions of people from every profession and every walk of life. There are many things to try, such as banding together and rising up to kick Uber's ass until they go bankrupt or co-operate, doesn't matter which. The real power is actually with the drivers, we just haven't been using it.

Imagine a world without Uber, you'll have to do something else. Because of Uber, there's an additional option for you to make money. If your not happy with that option just pretend Uber doesn't exist and your back at square one.
I have imagined that world, and I can guarantee the moment they go bankrupt 10 new companies will replace it and feast on it's carcass. Like a forest fire making room for new growth and feeding it with the ashes of the past. You won't have to do something else. You will have to exact same job under much better terms. You might have to go on vacation for a week or something during the transition.

AveragePerson

It's not and you're completely wrong. It was highly effective. I can guarantee you the media coverage alone will scare enough investors to mess with their IPO. That was the point. The direct damage caused by the strike is irrelevant at this point.

It also spread a lot of awareness among pax/general public etc and it serves as a stepping stone to future, larger strikes.

It even made it into late night shows like Trevor Noah. I consider it a great success.

Think harder and wider!
Explain how is hurting Uber IPO (it's valuation and ability to raise capital) translates into better driver pay and working conditions?

If the public gives no tear about child labor that goes in to gathering cobalt for smartphone production, why would they care about drivers feelings?

UberBeemer

Explain how is hurting Uber IPO (it's valuation and ability to raise capital) translates into better driver pay and working conditions?

If the public gives no tear about child labor that goes in to gathering cobalt for smartphone production, why would they care about drivers feelings?
Once its in the public eye, it becomes a political issue. One of the camaign planks of the mayor elect in chcago was regulation along the lines of new york's initiative. Better screening, caps on number of drivers, livable wages...

UberAdrian

Uber has blatantly lied and stolen at every.single.opportunity, therefore they can't be trusted to do anything no matter what they say, at this point. Not hurting them doesn't help us with anything. They will continue to assume we are pushovers and continue pulling the same crap forever. The point where I turned on them completely was when they lowered pay by a lot, whilst simultaneously telling everyone that pay went up. They could have just said that pay "changed", they didn't have to lie through their teeth about it going up! They can't be trusted at all, with anything ever and it would be best if they just went bankrupt so their replacement can learn from their mistake.

Alternatively I would also accept if they found a way to make things work under the threat of bankruptcy. I don't know if they can after how badly they've already screwed up, and it's not my job to figure that out. They will either figure it out or get rekt, that's how business works.

Last edited:

UberTrent9

Nothing yet. But the fact is, people all over get to hear us via news stories.

The UAW had to fight for years before they succeeded in organizing and gained collective bargaining. And they had to fight thugs that beat and shot protesters.

But they're a UNION, we ARE NOT! Big difference
Post automatically merged:

Or, You can simply QUIT and not deal with it, pretty simple right?

AveragePerson

This movement led to changes in new york already... cap on drivers and minimum hourly earnings.

Tell me, how is the nay-saying helping?
Lets look from the other lens...

Cap on drivers? Artifical scarcity is great, hope your one of the lucky ones given the pass to drive and not one of the ones denied because of the cap. Guess we'll have to say tough luck to those that didn't get to work even though they want to... what's that? You have bills to pay? Too bad.

Artifical price floor. Nice, inflating something beyond it's market value. Ridership takes a nosedive, more time to wonder the street aimlessly. Riders that depends on it gets gouged on price and leaves dissatisfied.

UberAdrian

You could, but some of us are fighters, not quitters.

Cap on drivers? Artifical scarcity is great, hope your one of the lucky ones given the pass to drive and not one of the ones denied because of the cap. Guess we'll have to say tough luck to those that didn't get to work even though they want to... what's that? You have bills to pay? Too bad.
Every industry in the entire western world relies on artificial scarcity to stay in business. Otherwise the Chinese would flood the market with the cheapest possible stuff that nobody can compete with and your entire economy would collapse. Why does Uber think it's special?

Artifical price floor. Nice, inflating something beyond it's market value. Ridership takes a nosedive, more time to wonder the street aimlessly. Riders gouged on price and leaves dissatisfied.
There is nothing artificial about the price floor. The inherent costs of private luxury car service are very high, much higher than the current rates being charged. That's why you need a price floor. Nothing is being inflated above market value lol, it's being inflated above COST.

UberBeemer

They were a union eventually. Ford was the last of the big three to allow unions in their plants. But the union itself started with plucky groups of like minded people, standing up for a common good.

And, i dont subscribe to telling people to quit. That's a personal choice they have to make.