So, I'm in Detroit as a rider..

JuanMoreTime

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I take another ride, I'll be sure to not mention that I'm a driver. Dude in the Terrain even had a cooler with water in his passenger footwell. On $.70/mile! But he gets two separate pensions, so this is just something to pass the time for him.

Tedgey

Did you out yourself as a driver?

I don't. I ask the same stupid questions the pax ask.

1. How long have you been doing this?
2. How much money do you make?
3. What's your weirdest experience?

But I always tip and rate the driver a 5.
You get great questions. It's only the girls that ever talk to me and they always say the same thing. "Could you say Aflac for me?" Over and over and over and over ...

Chargr

In New York I had pure SUVs picking me up for Uber X. TAHOES, Cadillacs, fords. I was like "rates must be awesome here " ............ Yeah

Hope_Solo

I had a BMW X5 pick me up on UberX in Northridge before. And it wasn't even on a surge. Just lowest rate.

ChortlingCrison

There was a snafu at the rental car place, so I took an Uber to my hotel. I'm waiting on one to get to the office. Yesterday it was a Dodge Caravan, and right now I'm waiting on a GMC Terrain. How do these people afford to drive big vehicles on $.70/mile??
They can't afford to drive on the short term. But when the repair bills start piling up. Some of them are gullible enough to think that uber was being generous, raising the rates from .30 mile to .70/mile.

Just Another Uber Drive

You get great questions. It's only the girls that ever talk to me and they always say the same thing. "Could you say Aflac for me?" Over and over and over and over ...
Not so great really.

My answers are:

1. I answer truthfully as to length on the job.
2. I like to burst their bubble a bit on earnings. But I always throw in "but in LA they make $2,000 to $3,000 a week!"
3. For weirdest ride, well, I lie.

I never relate actual experiences to the pax. I fear it could hit too close to home and cause a ratings backlash. Plus I doubt I could relate some experiences to pax without revealing a hostile undertone in the telling.

And honestly my trips are for the most part pretty boring.

So I have a few well-crafted stories designed to make the passengers laugh. Little snippets from real experieneces mixed with stories from here and there and then just twisted a bit for comedic effect.

I had a couple of guys last week ask me about the ethical and moral rules involved in a married guy getting a "happy ending" at the local strip club... where they were heading of course.

The guy told me my opinion didn't really matter but he was just curious as to my opinion. In reality they were looking for validation. Validation from an older guy. So do I tell these soon-to-be divorced idiots the truth or do I blow smoke up their butts to preserve my ratings?

See to me that was a weird ride. But I can't tell that story to pax as it would offend somebody.

mghtyred

If I had to guess, retired auto workers who got big discounts on their cars. Even still, the car certainly costs more than their house. You can buy a house in Detroit for the price of a Happy Meal.

tb1984

There was a snafu at the rental car place, so I took an Uber to my hotel. I'm waiting on one to get to the office. Yesterday it was a Dodge Caravan, and right now I'm waiting on a GMC Terrain. How do these people afford to drive big vehicles on $.70/mile??

Did you pay for surge prices? Or just regular price?

Tedgey

Not so great really.

My answers are:

1. I answer truthfully as to length on the job.
2. I like to burst their bubble a bit on earnings. But I always throw in "but in LA they make $2,000 to $3,000 a week!"
3. For weirdest ride, well, I lie.

I never relate actual experiences to the pax. I fear it could hit too close to home and cause a ratings backlash. Plus I doubt I could relate some experiences to pax without revealing a hostile undertone in the telling.

And honestly my trips are for the most part pretty boring.

So I have a few well-crafted stories designed to make the passengers laugh. Little snippets from real experieneces mixed with stories from here and there and then just twisted a bit for comedic effect.

I had a couple of guys last week ask me about the ethical and moral rules involved in a married guy getting a "happy ending" at the local strip club... where they were heading of course.

The guy told me my opinion didn't really matter but he was just curious as to my opinion. In reality they were looking for validation. Validation from an older guy. So do I tell these soon-to-be divorced idiots the truth or do I blow smoke up their butts to preserve my ratings?

See to me that was a weird ride. But I can't tell that story to pax as it would offend somebody.
I love this guy. Not a more honest person out there

JuanMoreTime

Did you pay for surge prices? Or just regular price?
The company picked up the tab. I didn't pay a dime. I just contacted Lyft about driving here using my rental car, and it looks like I can, if I get bored. I'm getting an expense account while I'm here, even though this is where I'm from originally anyway. The funny part is that the roads in Detroit are legendarily bad, but they're glass-like compared to LA.

JuanMoreTime

I predict that my acceptance rate will be about 10%, because I *really* know where not to pick up in Metro Detroit.