So I'm curious

onthestreet

What was it like in the good ol' days? Did you guys who have been around 1+ year make much more than you do now? Has your profitability been crushed recently or does it simply feel like it has slowly trickled off over time? And, is your perception based on a gut feeling or after crunching some of your own cold hard numbers? I'm genuinely curious. K*

g00r

A driver I know in Geelong who started when it first launched, was guaranteed $25 per trip. Lot different to today's guarantees.

onthestreet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A driver I know in Geelong who started when it first launched, was guaranteed $25 per trip. Lot different to today's guarantees.
Wow! As a minimum? A far cry from the current $8 minimum (and $6 minimum during the Sydney winter discount). My current average per trip is $19. Interesting. K*

anOzzieUber

When I first started, I was guaranteed $30/hr (that is NETT) - so just shy of $38/hr in fares across all hours. I was told driving for Uber we could make $30/hr in the bank (less of course our expenses). That is decent money for the km's you do, and well worth driving your car into the dust for. This slowly eroded down to limited guaranteed hours (as low as $25/hr - $20/hr to us) and then to no guarantee's because we were all making $25/hr in fares - which equates to around $12-16hr after fuel and other expenses into out account.

BITD of my old courier business, I was doing probably 150km a day max and taking home around $300 per day before expenses and that was still shit pay after taking into account all of my costs. Uber on the other hand, I could do over 300km and not make this much. Add to this, with Uber if you get bad ratings you can get canned with little to no recourse. Uber encourages drivers to buy new or near new cars under finance knowing full well they can deactivate you and you'll be up shit creek trying to repay a loan with no income.

Uber = Brilliant Idea, but poorly managed.

If in doubt about Uber, go to a driver centre and find the most senior manager you can (hint: he is probably about 12 years old). Ask him : "If Uber pays that well, why are you a manager for them, wouldn't you be better off quitting and driving instead?". Stand back and watch him/her make excuses.

Instyle

Yep $25 added per trip in addition to the fare.

Incentives is what gets drivers trapped in a system then it spirals to the bottom with you stuck in it and everyone asks why don't drivers just leave. The Uber system and model slowly makes you dependable or and reliant on the income it may bring.

Sydney Uber

What was it like in the good ol' days? Did you guys who have been around 1+ year make much more than you do now? Has your profitability been crushed recently or does it simply feel like it has slowly trickled off over time? And, is your perception based on a gut feeling or after crunching some of your own cold hard numbers? I'm genuinely curious. K*
In Black fleet from late 2013 to about April 2014 if you did 20 jobs between 530pm to 12 midnight Sunday you got a $200 incentive.

I used to offload my private bookings to my other 2 cars and easily make the 20 job target to begin with and get between $1,600 - $1,800 gross ( less 20% commission back then, less 10% GST, less tolls and fuel )

Then the targets got harder to hit. They stopped the incentive and I struggled to get $1,200 - $1,500 for a whole week gross. This is between my other work. My nett takings are now down to $800 - $1000 from Uber. Mainly due to saturation.

onthestreet

So is it worth being an UberBlack? It's crossed my mind recently but I wonder how the numbers stack up. I'm guessing to make it worthwhile there would need to be a minimum number of hours worked at some set average rate. Plus keeping the initial investment on a car down too. Is there another thread on this subject in Sydney?

onthestreet

Yep $25 added per trip in addition to the fare.

Incentives is what gets drivers trapped in a system then it spirals to the bottom with you stuck in it and everyone asks why don't drivers just leave. The Uber system and model slowly makes you dependable or and reliant on the income it may bring.
Interesting. Personally, I find the incentives set an expectation for drivers but the problem is if Uber lower them or remove them all together then it just creates disappointment and disillusionment. I can understand that they can't afford to keep giving money away to just draw new drivers in but not allowing drivers to earn a decent income will see the loss of good, experienced, talented drivers. A great shame.

Last edited:

Sydney Uber

So is it worth being an UberBlack? It's crossed my mind recently but I wonder how the numbers stack up. I'm guessing to make it worthwhile there would need to be a minimum number of hours worked at some set average rate. Plus keeping the initial investment on a car down too. Is there another thread on this subject in Sydney?
If the plan is to live exclusively on the work that Uberblack would provide a Hire car operator then it's bound to fail.

You need to go out and foster offload arrangements with other operators and limo companies.

You need to reach out to your family and friends and see who is in business and who are travellers and need regular transport for airport and other corporate's requirements.

Uber can surprise you at times this Monday at 1100am the slowest part of the workday week I got my FIRST "as directed" job which ran $368. After all commissions and taxes that's $276.00 for 3.5hrs work. Not bad on a Monday but very unusual and cannot be relied on to be provided by Uber on a consistent basis.

onthestreet

Thanks. Good to know. It's just an idea in its infancy but I can see where you're coming from. K*