1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

So I picked up a big name in Pro Basketball....

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Fishchris, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Fishchris

Fishchris Well-Known Member

Reginald Jackson of the Detroit Pistons.... Picked him up at the Sheraton Inn, downtown Sac, and dropped him at the Golden 1 Arena.
    At first I had no idea who he was. So I had told him I'd get him as close the front entrance as possible, but that they might have some areas blocked off near the gate.... To which he says, "Just drive right to the front entrance and when security approaches us, I'll handle it... I'm a player... " So I was like, "Wait, what" ? "What's your last name ? .....Jackson...
    Sure enough, security was all over us, but as soon as he told them who he was, they said "Oh, no problem.... drive right up here.... right this way Mr . Jackson...

Not really being a huge basketball guy myself, I Googled his name after I dropped him off, and saw that a little while ago, he signed an $80 million, 5 year contract.... So I think that makes him a pretty big name.... Certainly the richest guy to ever get in my Uber car :)
    Oh, so it was on a 3.1 surge, but it was so short, I only made $7 :( .....and of course NO TIP ! Really ? The guys making $80 mil and cant give me $5 or $10 ? He was a totally friendly, respectful guy and everything, but come on !

Oh, so he didn't tip me.... and the Pistons lost ! :) Karma's a *****, right ? :) lol

2. MSUGrad9902

MSUGrad9902 Well-Known Member

The pistons would have lost anyway. Sorry to burst your bubble. They stink this year.

3. Beur

Beur Well-Known Member

Let guess, it was an X ride

4. Fishchris

Actually, I heard it was a good game, with a major comeback towards the end..... So, it was not "a given"....

5. Fishchris

Of course :) lol Isn't that how all the multi millionaires roll ? :) lol

BTW, if its a single pax, with no luggage, going only a mile or two, how would an Uber Black or Uber XL ride be any better than an X ? My car war was spotless and smelling great too :) Tons of legroom... and this player is only 6'3" anyway....

Beur likes this.

6. DocT

DocT Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I had an NBA player as a rider, visiting family. At least he chose Select. And of course, no tip.

brendon292 likes this.
  7. Fishchris

Again, what does Select offer that my X doesn't ?

8. jp300h

jp300h Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Can't really answer without knowing what kind of car you have and what options it has.

9. DocT

DocT Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    A higher fare. :p
    I've seen some pristine X cars and downright mud-dirty Selects.

thepanttherlady likes this.
  10. Fishchris

Lol.....
    Okay now, are Select Cars supposed to be cleaner ?
    Hmmm. My car is pretty much like new and it smells that way also....
    And to the poster above who said he needed to know what my car had... Uh... a comfortable seat air conditioning ?
    What more does it need to be an XL ?

11. DocT

DocT Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Aren't ALL Uber cars suppose to be clean, regardless of tier?

XL requires a 5-seat passenger vehicle (not including driver).

12. Fishchris

Okay, so again i ask, what difference does XL make for a single Pax ?

13. jp300h

jp300h Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I asked because it's relevant to your question. What does a select car have that yours doesnt? I don't know as I dont know what you have. A select car is typically a luxury car (BMW, Lexus, Cadillac, Mercedes, etc) with leather seats. Although the "select" cars allowed by Uber in some markets is a joke.

Select cars will typically be nicer, newer, have quieter, softer rides, more comfortable seating. leather, more amenities such as heated/cooled seats, etc. etc. Some people are just brand conscious and would rather ride in a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. than a Honda Civic.

Some passengers want to ensure they have a roomy car...even if they are alone. If they order X, they may end up with some cramped Prius. Or they may end up with some more spacious, but they have no way of knowing, so they just get th XL or to make sure.

X can be pretty much anything with 4 doors
    XL must be able to seat 7 (including driver)
    Select is newer luxury car.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  14. jp300h

jp300h Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I am sure this does occasionally happen, which is just plain dumb on behalf of the select driver.

15. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I drove two little people from the show "Little Women of Atlanta"

Beat that!

I get not tipping, probably didn't have cash, I get that... but why not at least order a Select?

Did he really want to be dropped off at the stadium in a 2010 Prius?

16. Fishchris

Other than 1) extra seating, and 2) prestige of the brand of vehicle, i see no advantage of an XL over my 2015 Hyundai Accent. My car is spotless and super comfortable.

17. Fishchris

No, they were dwarfs or midgets.... And its not pre-owned, its freaking used ! And im not a Caucasian, im a freaking honky a$$ cracker, got it ! :D lol

18. jp300h

jp300h Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I think you are confusing X, XL and Select (which is why I described each above)
    And again that is nothing against your car, I'm sure it is very nice. But when somebody orders X, they are not guaranteed to get your very nice Hyundai. They may end up in a civic or prius or some other sub-compact 4 door that Uber allows for X. If they order Select or XL, they are assuring themselves of not getting a sub compact car.

19. Marshall Mathers

Marshall Mathers Active Member

Better known as Reggie Jackson

Lionslover likes this.
  20. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT