• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

So I just started with Door Dash and Grubhub...

YourFoodIsGettingCold

So I just started with Door Dash and Grubhub and its obvious that the pay offerings are way better than Uber and Postmates. The upfront trip detail is awesome, especially knowing how much you'll make from the delivery prior to acceptance.

With that said, I'm seriously waiting for food probably 80% of the time. This is especially true with Grubhub, and it's kinda annoying. I don't drive for 6+ hr blocks of time. I'm usually on for about 3-4hrs and it stinks to complete so few deliveries due to restaurants. Is this the same everywhere?

YourFoodIsGettingCold

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That’s how it’s worked for me on DoorDash. If I arrive before the pickup time I almost always have to wait.
That's really amazing! This is the first thing I can think of that Uber does better. Second would be allowing cancellations, haven't been able to reassign a delivery yet. Not sure of the purpose of that button.

Adfcalifornian

Yeah I turned on Postmates yesterday and I instantly turned it off after getting 4 in a row that were “order at restaurant” runs. Not exactly the same as what you’re talking about but probably even worse because they don’t even know about the order till I arrive.

YourFoodIsGettingCold

Yeah I turned on Postmates yesterday and I instantly turned it off after getting 4 in a row that were “order at restaurant” runs. Not exactly the same as what you’re talking about but probably even worse because they don’t even know about the order till I arrive.
PM is okay with me, I just hate when they try to make it difficult to cancel. I try to call those orders in when I'm enroute. The inability to cancel with the aforementioned apps is ridiculous, given their request and pickup timing.

DiceyDan

PM is okay with me, I just hate when they try to make it difficult to cancel. I try to call those orders in when I'm enroute. The inability to cancel with the aforementioned apps is ridiculous, given their request and pickup timing.
Yes! This is doordash at it's finest. The "unassign" says it is too late after 2 minutes, then it takes about 20 minutes to cancel through chat. I usually have multiple apps going and I take the best offer.

Seamus

So I just started with Door Dash and Grubhub and its obvious that the pay offerings are way better than Uber and Postmates. The upfront trip detail is awesome, especially knowing how much you'll make from the delivery prior to acceptance.

With that said, I'm seriously waiting for food probably 80% of the time. This is especially true with Grubhub, and it's kinda annoying. I don't drive for 6+ hr blocks of time. I'm usually on for about 3-4hrs and it stinks to complete so few deliveries due to restaurants. Is this the same everywhere?
Yes. The other difference is when you go to fast food places you have to order it yourself and get the drinks.

YourFoodIsGettingCold

Yes! This is doordash at it's finest. The "unassign" says it is too late after 2 minutes, then it takes about 20 minutes to cancel through chat. I usually have multiple apps going and I take the best offer.
Yes. The other difference is when you go to fast food places you have to order it yourself and get the drinks.
What about when you're on a Dash. Is there a way to see if other areas are busier? I noticed the heat map is non existent if you're already technically online.

OLDSCHOOLPARAD

I just started DoorDash this week. Haven’t had that bad of an experience waiting. The only place I waited longer than expected was Twin Peaks. They weren’t even that busy and it wasn’t that bad per se. But it was still 10 minutes or so longer than that pick up by time.

Had an order Cracker Barrel this morning. It was super busy and I thought...man, this is going to be a long wait. But they really impressed me. They had me out the door within 5 minutes.

Don’t really know how I feel about the 💰. You’re basically getting $6 for every order including tips. So, even if a customer were to give you a $5 tip, you’d still make $6 whether they tipped or not. I’d take that for all McDonald’s restaurants with UberEATS, but I’d rather take my chances with regular restaurants.

Definitely like that DoorDash provides you with a lot of information to make an informed decision though. The pickup experience is also a lot better since you won’t have to fight the restaurant on calling the customer as you’ll have to their contact info before actually picking up...although I still think it’s their job to do so. Plus they show everything the customer ordered, so it’s easier for you to check for missing items. So far Chick Fil A, Ruby Tuesday and Twin Peaks were shorting me drinks with Twin Peaks also shorting me like half of customer’s food.

YourFoodIsGettingCold

Don’t really know how I feel about the 💰. You’re basically getting $6 for every order including tips. So, even if a customer were to give you a $5 tip, you’d still make $6 whether they tipped or not. I’d take that for all McDonald’s restaurants with UberEATS, but I’d rather take my chances with regular restaurants.
This pay structure is what made me reluctant to sign up with them in the first place, but as long as the payout is worth drive, I'm ok with it. It would be nice if more customers were aware and tipped in cash. I may be in the honeymoon phase with DD but most of my offers have been $7 or more.

Launchpad McQuack

Is this the same everywhere?
I almost always have to wait for GrubHub orders. Almost never for Uber. I think Uber factors in some prep time (depending on the restaurant) before they start pinging drivers. GrubHub starts pinging as soon as the order is placed. When things are running smoothly with Uber, I can usually bang out about three deliveries per hour as long as the delivery distances are reasonable. Every now and then I can bang out four in an hour, but that is a rarity. For GrubHub, I can generally only complete two per hour. Maybe 2.5 if things are really running smoothly. I don't think I've ever done three in an hour.

The plus side for GrubHub is that I know how much the delivery is going to pay ahead of time, so I can consider whether the pay is enough to justify the anticipated wait time when I am deciding whether to accept the ping. Because I only accept pings that justify waiting, the pay is higher per delivery for GrubHub. As a general rule of thumb, I gross about the same amount in an hour regardless of whether I accept only GrubHub pings or only Uber pings. So I run both apps simultaneously and I take the first good ping that I get. I prefer good GrubHub pings over good Uber pings if I can get them, though, because I do less deliveries on GrubHub to gross the same amount and therefore have lower vehicle costs for the same gross pay.

doggerel

The waits for DoorDash are really annoying. And restaurants treat you like crap when they know that you are ordering for DD. And it seems like it is impossible for DD to send you back-to-back pings. There is always a 5 minute wait. And they use that horrible 1-5 star rating system, as well.

But they do pay better per trip.

Also, you can weed out the non-tippers on DD.

amazinghl

I know my GH market good enough that I know which restaurant will have the food ready, which will not, and which worth an instant reject, especially after factor into day of week. I don't go after the partner status, not worth it to me.

Sometime, I run errands between GH pick up.

I make way more money per hour and way more money per mile with GH than UE.

Invisible

Both DD & GH will send you pings farther out. I don’t know if DD has the region thing still, but they’d try sending me out of my region too much.

There are many things UE does better, but now they’re so slow. GH is much better than DD here, but I spent way to much time at Bdubbs & TGIF.

WAHN

What is the highest you made on one DD delivery?
$14.50 is the most I've received in the 80 deliveries I've done so far. That's regular pay and probably a tip.

The average so far is probably between $5-$8.

But I'm not picky and have a 96% acceptance rate because I primarily work when they're doing Peak Pay.

TampaGuy

$14.50 is the most I've received in the 80 deliveries I've done so far. That's regular pay and probably a tip.

The average so far is probably between $5-$8.

But I'm not picky and have a 96% acceptance rate because I primarily work when they're doing Peak Pay.

Thanks.

TampaGuy

You're welcome.

Are they offering much in the way of peak pay in your market?

I drive Uber and UE. Did DD for the first time yesterday. I made $19 and change in an hour. Seems better pay than UE, but again I only did it for and hour.

I don’t like:

The navigation
Having to place the order
Having to schedule the work

It was red in my area, which is rare. That is why I did it yesterday.