Smooth Driving Report

ncc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You must have received an email from Uber regarding a Smooth Driving Report. Check it out.

Grand

ncc. Please be aware that not everyone gets the same information.
It would be more helpful to provide a complete picture rather than assume everyone knows what you are talking about. And don't forget that this is a Global forum.
Email from Uber--
"Welcome to the Smooth Driving Report*
We're excited to share that over the next 8 weeks, we'll be testing a new technology program in your city that will give you insight into your driving habits.
About the program
Each week, you'll receive a report that summarizes your driving characteristics around mid-trip phone movement, braking quality, and smooth acceleration for the previous week (as long as you've completed at least 10 trips). This information will allow you to track your driving style and allow you to compare it with other partners in your city. We can determine the frequency of these behaviors using GPS and data sent from your smartphone.
The score breakdown

0-75%
Average
76-90%
Good
90-100%
Excellent
At the end of 8 weeks, we'll send you a final report! We hope you find this information useful. These reports are for your benefit and are completely unrelated to your account standing. The goal, rather, is to help you better understand your driving style as improvements can increase fuel efficiency and lead to higher ratings!"

ncc

It would be more helpful to provide a complete picture rather than assume everyone knows what you are talking about. And don't forget that this is a Global forum.
Email from Uber--
We're excited to share that over the next 8 weeks, we'll be testing a new technology program in your city that will give you insight into your driving habits.
About the program
Each week, you'll receive a report that summarizes your driving characteristics around mid-trip phone movement, braking quality, and smooth acceleration for the previous week (as long as you've completed at least 10 trips). This information will allow you to track your driving style and allow you to compare it with other partners in your city. We can determine the frequency of these behaviors using GPS and data sent from your smartphone.
The score breakdown

0-75%
Average
76-90%
Good
90-100%
Excellent
At the end of 8 weeks, we'll send you a final report! We hope you find this information useful. These reports are for your benefit and are completely unrelated to your account standing. The goal, rather, is to help you better understand your driving style as improvements can increase fuel efficiency and lead to higher ratings!"
For a moment I did think nobody bothered about this post. :smiles: Mr Grand appreciate your efforts of copying the information here.

While this is a Global forum I am posting in the Sydney "room"...or maybe is that a separate topic of discussion?

Uber1961

Email from Uber--
About the program
The score breakdown

0-75%
Average
76-90%
Good
90-100%
Excellent
I didn't receive anything like this from Uber.

I wonder how many people got it.

SSuber

I didn't receive anything like this from Uber.

I wonder how many people got it.
I've read about this before. Seems like it's only being trialled in the US.

I think AAMI has a similar function on its app.

I wouldn't be surprised if Uber was told by its insurance company to do something like this, to better price insurance. You can bet your bottom dollar (80c after commission) that Uber isn't doing it for the driver's benefit (we benefit enough from an average of $30 driving any time we like because it's oh so great!)

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...onitoring-drivers-us-passenger-safety-houston

SSuber

I wouldn't be surprised if Uber was told by its insurance company to do something like this, to better price insurance. You can bet your bottom dollar (80c after commission) that Uber isn't doing it for the driver's benefit (we benefit enough from an average of $30 driving any time we like because it's oh so great!)

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...onitoring-drivers-us-passenger-safety-houston
NB - I did assume it's American, due to American spelling and nothing in the local media about this, but are people suggesting it's been sent to Sydney drivers?

ncc

Totally agree on the insurance bit.

ncc

What next they use the front camera from your iPhone to Monitor what you saying to your Riders
That would be cool if we can get access to that. A lot of interesting rider gossip could be recorded too. Privacy ...what is that anyway?

Icecool

Tell you what this might be a very idea for security reason . It is safer than the taxis camera as it recorded externally so no one can steal or damage the recording

SSuber

That would be cool if we can get access to that. A lot of interesting rider gossip could be recorded too. Privacy ...what is that anyway?
It could actually be a good idea for us to record all conversations during the ride...in case the fare is disputed later on...like directions.

Icecool

Uber is a technology company . They can design a program that hack into your camera and audio without you aware of it can access your devices by using remote-access trojans a process called "ratting." (Remote access is not limited to ratters: According to a cache of National Security Agency documents leaked by Edward Snowden, at least two government-designed programs were devised to take over computer cameras and microphones.)

Read more: http://www.afr.com/technology/web/s...-you-should-too-20160623-gppvwy#ixzz4CmHN5CUf
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

ncc

I want to how they can take forever to 'calculate' your earnings total yet can measure your breaking speed using an accelerometer which requires much more computing power.
They have to publish a report only once a week and not realtime. Am pretty sure you will not remember what did the previous week to debate anything.

OHUBER

1. privacy concerns:
driving characteristics around mid-trip phone movement, braking quality, and smooth acceleration
We can determine the frequency of these behaviors using GPS and data sent from your smartphone
so, can we opt out? what if i don't feel comfortable of sending those data? there's no disclaimer/information regarding how those data are used, and more importantly, what Uber would do to ensure those data are not disclosed to another party, or even to Uber itself, in other words, how do they ensure the data would not be used for other purposes, which lead to my 2nd point.

2. driverless research:
those data are exactly what the research needed, it's crucial for Uber to use them to analyse human behavior. it would add a "humanly touch" to the robotic programming pattern.
oh well, this is not much of a concern, just an interesting thought, if you are not bothered of your behavior being used for some kind of research...
but...if i were Uber, i would have used all those data from the very beginning anyways:wink:

WollyDriver

This could provide some interesting data for you as a driver, especially being able to compare it to other drivers. I don't seem to get emails from Uber anymore, so I don't think they love me :frown: