• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Smokers... WHY?

Julescase2

I smoked for 20 years and finally quit in January . I was spending $300/month on cigs. I now put $300 into a savings account every month instead. Looking back on my habit , I didn’t realize just how gross it was. I even recall smoking up until the last second I got into an Uber as a passenger when traveling for work.

Now after countless encounters with smoking pax , I feel it’s my duty to drive away from anyone standing there finishing his cig on MY TIME!

Congratulations, that’s awesome!

Smoking is so gross - I smoked off and on for about a decade, but this was in the 90’s when a lot more people smoked. And before you had to take out a mortgage to buy a pack of smokes! But I now cannot stand the stench - it honestly makes me nauseous. I still can’t believe I was a smoker at one time. I would douse myself in perfume which I thought hid the smell but it only made me reek of smoke AND parfume, ugh!

moJohoJo

I arrive at the pick up location about 2 minutes after the ping and I see a guy on the porch, so I say great, he's ready to go since he is the one who ordered and wanted a ride. He sits down on the stairs, but the view of him is blocked by cars, so I'm not sure what he's doing. Maybe he's waiting a sec. for someone else to come out. I wait about a minute and then pull forward so I can see him. He is just sitting there smoking a cigarette. Nope, CANCEL.

I didn't know there were that many smokers, but Uber keeps sending me to them lately. Other times when I arrive people are outside smoking. Do they not know they are smelly and will bring the smell in the car, especially if they just put it out? They order a ride knowing there are cars close and then light up. How smart is that? I've been known to just cancel when I see someone smoking... Do you think they know that's why or are they just oblivious? Has anyone else just driven off like me?

Pot smokers are the worst... That stinks the car up and even after cleaning the seat it is still lingering...

Shouldn't there be a SMELLY CLEANING FEE for these situations? I know that would be hard to prevent fraud on that one.

Cigarette smokers, maybe you should switch to vaping for your addiction so you don't smell nasty. Pot smokers, could you eat an edible instead if you plan on going out?
Where i live in, California smoking or vaping is illegal and if i ever do see someone smoking ( usually a tourist or foreigner from, New York or mid - west ) i roll down the window & tell them i do not take smokers then tell them smoking is illegal here, proceed on my way & cancel .

amibrah

I smoked for 20 years and finally quit in January . I was spending $300/month on cigs. I now put $300 into a savings account every month instead. Looking back on my habit , I didn’t realize just how gross it was. I even recall smoking up until the last second I got into an Uber as a passenger when traveling for work.

Now after countless encounters with smoking pax , I feel it’s my duty to drive away from anyone standing there finishing his cig on MY TIME!
That's fantastic, I have been clean for a little over 2 years (used to smoke pot too). Quitting was one of the hardest things I've done

As for smokers, I 1* anyone who smells bad, whether its cigarette smell or if they smell bad in general due to lack of personal hygiene

I have picked up passengers who seemed fine, didn't look like smokers until they got inside. Once inside I didn't have the heart to tell them to get out even though I WANTED to.

BigRedDriver

Come on now... Smokers don't smell. It was even proven in another thread last week where one of our members drew a direct correlation between his smoking habits to his U/L ratings... :whistling:
That was me. Ended with a 4.95 on Uber. Perfect 5.0 on Lyft.

Can’t imagine how?

You?

Now I’ve got a kickin new job. Nobody seems to care that I smoke. Of course not. I’m the boss.

BigRedDriver

Come on now... Smokers don't smell. It was even proven in another thread last week where one of our members drew a direct correlation between his smoking habits to his U/L ratings... :whistling:
And because so many need proof:

uber rating.PNG
lyft rating.jpg

Now, how exactly could a driver, that smells like an ashtray, in a world full of entitled pax, have such good, if not great ratings?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are ways to NOT smell badly. I might suggest a shower and clean clothes daily?

Oscar Levant

I arrive at the pick up location about 2 minutes after the ping and I see a guy on the porch, so I say great, he's ready to go since he is the one who ordered and wanted a ride. He sits down on the stairs, but the view of him is blocked by cars, so I'm not sure what he's doing. Maybe he's waiting a sec. for someone else to come out. I wait about a minute and then pull forward so I can see him. He is just sitting there smoking a cigarette. Nope, CANCEL.

I didn't know there were that many smokers, but Uber keeps sending me to them lately. Other times when I arrive people are outside smoking. Do they not know they are smelly and will bring the smell in the car, especially if they just put it out? They order a ride knowing there are cars close and then light up. How smart is that? I've been known to just cancel when I see someone smoking... Do you think they know that's why or are they just oblivious? Has anyone else just driven off like me?

Pot smokers are the worst... That stinks the car up and even after cleaning the seat it is still lingering...

Shouldn't there be a SMELLY CLEANING FEE for these situations? I know that would be hard to prevent fraud on that one.

Cigarette smokers, maybe you should switch to vaping for your addiction so you don't smell nasty. Pot smokers, could you eat an edible instead if you plan on going out?

I cancel if they had just put out a cigarette. The smell lingers and other passengers can smell it. You are not required to subject your vehicle and your nose to that abuse.

Occasionally, a passenger just smoked a cig and put it out inside, so I can't see them coming. but, then they get into my car, it hits me like a ton of bricks. I roll down the windows, and spray a quick spray of Ozium. If they ask why, I tell them the truth. They have always apologized thus far, did not go on the defensive. It's risky to be blunt, but I feel, hey, a principle is a principle.

Gandler

Recently I had somebody who was smoking as I pulled up to the curb, ask if they could smoke in the car. I was like is it 1980 again? I said "No ma'am please finish your cigarette before getting in". Besides the fact that it smells up the car, it is also illegal (and the driver gets the ticket, not the smoker).... To be fair it was a pleasant ride after that, she may have been from out of state.

Kyanar

It may be your car, but you’re leasing it out for a fee. Not until Uber and Lyft actually informs pax’s that smoking of any kind is prohibited you’ll just have to use your own discretion. Pax’s that are denied smoking/vaping in your car will most likely give you a poor rating, U/L doesn’t care about your health concerns as long as they get their cut.
My state solves this problem. It's illegal to smoke in a passenger vehicle (driver or passenger) and vaping is legally defined as smoking. So vaping in a "ride booking" vehicle is illegal.

At least it's the smoker that gets the $500 fine.

Gandler

It may be your car, but you’re leasing it out for a fee. Not until Uber and Lyft actually informs pax’s that smoking of any kind is prohibited you’ll just have to use your own discretion. Pax’s that are denied smoking/vaping in your car will most likely give you a poor rating, U/L doesn’t care about your health concerns as long as they get their cut.
Many state and local laws beg to differ. Many laws prohibit smoking (which in many states now rightfully or wrongfully encompasses vaping) in passenger vehicles. The driver is often the one fined for not "enforcing" the rule on the passenger.

peteyvavs

My state solves this problem. It's illegal to smoke in a passenger vehicle (driver or passenger) and vaping is legally defined as smoking. So vaping in a "ride booking" vehicle is illegal.

At least it's the smoker that gets the $500 fine.
F State laws, it’s my property and the State can go F itself.

Gandler

When you transport the public you lose rights.

Also, do you really want people smoking in your personal car anyway? It gives you a good reason to tell people not to smoke or vape "sorry but its illegal in this state" and hopefully they won't hold it against you.

If I drove a company taxi, I could care less if people smoked in it (second hand smoke does not bother me honestly), but in my personal cars, that is a big no go.

peteyvavs

When you transport the public you lose rights.

Also, do you really want people smoking in your personal car anyway? It gives you a good reason to tell people not to smoke or vape "sorry but its illegal in this state" and hopefully they won't hold it against you.

If I drove a company taxi, I could care less if people smoked in it (second hand smoke does not bother me honestly), but in my personal cars, that is a big no go.
I don’t smoke in my car even though I am a smoker because others don’t like the smell, but I’ll be damned before I’ll let some politicians dictate what I do with my own property.

ZenUber

That’s why the correct response is to cancel before they get in the car.
Post automatically merged:

Care to give your name and license number?
If that’s the way you feel about the law, then you shouldn’t be driving Uber.

Last edited:

Kyanar

I don’t smoke in my car even though I am a smoker because others don’t like the smell, but I’ll be damned before I’ll let some politicians dictate what I do with my own property.
When you're in business, you're gonna have to get damned pretty quick because that's the least of the things the state dictates you can and cannot do with "your property". It's a place of business when you're driving, get over it.

Sam amsalem