• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Smart Watch to accept Uber Pings?

mistareno

Does anyone own an Android Smart Watch type thing?

Can you accept pings on the watch?

If it's quiet, I often park and go for a short walk or grab a coffee near the beach, but I've accidentally culled a ping or three in the past when getting my phone out of my pocket, and thought a Smarwatch might be able to accept notifications?

mistareno

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hearing it isn't the issue.

I find that if I reach in my pocket to accept the Ping, I occasionally decline it whilst pulling it out...

I also think it would be helpful when you get out to help a pax with luggage and get a ping or if you are washing the car etc...

I just want to be sure you can Accept the ping on the watch.

guerre64

If it's quiet, I often park and go for a short walk or grab a coffee near the beach, but I've accidentally culled a ping or three in the past when getting my phone out of my pocket, and thought a Smarwatch might be able to accept notifications?
I have a Samsung Frontier smartwatch and I know for a fact it has an Uber Rider app (which I've never actually tried), but I'm not sure if pings show up as I don't usually wear it when I'm driving (just overly cautious about wearing a nice watch in case I get someone in the car who overly admires it!!!).

I'm going driving later so I'll give it a try for you if you like :-D

Waverley73

Hearing it isn't the issue.

I find that if I reach in my pocket to accept the Ping, I occasionally decline it whilst pulling it out...

I also think it would be helpful when you get out to help a pax with luggage and get a ping or if you are washing the car etc...

I just want to be sure you can Accept the ping on the watch.
You need to get smarter than a smart watch.

This is what you really need when you go for a walk:

mistareno

I have a Samsung Frontier smartwatch and I know for a fact it has an Uber Rider app (which I've never actually tried), but I'm not sure if pings show up as I don't usually wear it when I'm driving (just overly cautious about wearing a nice watch in case I get someone in the car who overly admires it!!!).

I'm going driving later so I'll give it a try for you if you like :-D
Thanks, That'd be great.

I found this thread, which makes me think it works.

https://uberpeople.net/threads/finally-smart-watch-ride-acceptance.186511/

Tiktak

Go on the app’s page. It says if it’s offered on smart watches. I am sure it will.

mistareno

They offer a rider app, but not a driver app. The watch is linked to the phone though so notifications should still go to the watch.

The thread I linked to above appears to confirm it works at the moment in the US and hopefully guerre64 can confirm it works here...

Immoralized

just go offline and do ur business in peace and when you get back in turn it back on :oopsies: you don't have to chase down every single ping.

Magpies

I got a Fitbit which receive most notifications. I've not tried sending UBER though, but even if it did it only notifies you, still have to accept it on your phone.

guerre64

They offer a rider app, but not a driver app. The watch is linked to the phone though so notifications should still go to the watch.

The thread I linked to above appears to confirm it works at the moment in the US and hopefully guerre64 can confirm it works here...
Well mistareno, unfortunately the Gear S3 Frontier does not seem to receive notifications from the Uber Driver app, despite notifications being set to on in the Gear app on my phone. Will do a little more experimenting, but not good so far :-(

Shan511

You can see ping address only, can't accept

mistareno

Well mistareno, unfortunately the Gear S3 Frontier does not seem to receive notifications from the Uber Driver app, despite notifications being set to on in the Gear app on my phone. Will do a little more experimenting, but not good so far :-(
Bugger.

Does this make any sense to you?

It finally work's again.

Since I upgraded my smart watch I was unable to accept driver ride requests on my smart watch message alerts that pop up.

Previously had a Samsung Gear S that I was able to accept the ride after an alert appeared. Was so nice not to have to always reach for phone.

Since upgrading the watch to S2 I lost that ability.

Was out at trunk last night catching a break and stretching my legs getting a drink from my cooler and I hear the ride request ding. I peek at my watch and on it I see the Uber logo, the pickup address and a checkmark. I press the checkmark, ride accepted!!

No more quick sprints back to car and scramble to accept rides!!

It's back baby!!

guerre64

Bugger.

Does this make any sense to you?

Yeah, he's talking about upgrading from the first Samsung Gear to the S2 and the notifications suddenly working again - I've got the most recent Gear, the S3 and did not get a single notification from my phone to watch. Other apps do send notifications but not the Uber Driver app, even though it is enabled. I have most other notifications turned off as they are just annoying after a while.

Will keep trying to get it to work, but I don't hold out much hope. It's a possibility that other Android watches may work, but can't be certain. A mate has a Fossil Android watch which seems really nice - but he doesn't drive and I don't think he'd lend it to me for a trial :p

Immoralized

Yeah, he's talking about upgrading from the first Samsung Gear to the S2 and the notifications suddenly working again - I've got the most recent Gear, the S3 and did not get a single notification from my phone to watch. Other apps do send notifications but not the Uber Driver app, even though it is enabled. I have most other notifications turned off as they are just annoying after a while.

Will keep trying to get it to work, but I don't hold out much hope. It's a possibility that other Android watches may work, but can't be certain. A mate has a Fossil Android watch which seems really nice - but he doesn't drive and I don't think he'd lend it to me for a trial :p
i got one of those fossil samsung smart watches not the first generation but the generation after the first. Was released in 2014.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Halfmybrain Chicago 0
A Los Angeles & Orange County 8
W Toronto 9