Slow Friday Night, or....

Yankee

How's this for a Friday night in Austin: logged in at 5:15 p.m. on 4th Street. Didn't get a ping until about 6:30, rush hour surges going on. Stayed on the road from 5:15 - 1:00 for a total of 10 pings. Less than 1 ping per hour. I barely cleared $100 on a Friday night! Spent most of the night rolling through surges, but go no surge fares. Of the 10 pings, 3 cancellations. I could have stayed out and waited for the bars to close but sometimes you just have to know when you're beat, go home and hope for a better day. Must admit, the whole week has been like this. I'm wondering about it. How can there be surges going on and no pings? Are we over-saturated with drivers? Have all the San Antonio drivers started coming here to work? Anyone else having this experience?

GDB

2 things...

First, most people in cities with a lot of government workers get paid every 2 weeks and this week isn't one of them.

Second, for some reason Thursday nights have more people going out to the entertainment district than Friday. I could never understand this even when I was one of them going out.

Select

You started to early and didn't stay out late enough... lol
I worked 8:30pm-3am
26 pings 3 cancelled.
The only time I got a surge was after 2am.
I did get a Uber Select during a surge 4.48 miles = $65 granted it did take 17 minutes

Select

Both of these rides were UberSelect rides. The one at 2:22am was the surge pricing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 50

Yankee

You started to early and didn't stay out late enough... lol
I worked 8:30pm-3am
26 pings 3 cancelled.
The only time I got a surge was after 2am.
I did get a Uber Select during a surge 4.48 miles = $65 granted it did take 17 minutes

That's a great fare for you, Select! Glad for you! But I always work these hours. I like to start early to drive people to dinner and shows. Usually the calls start coming in around 6:00. The earlier crowd (5:00) are rush hour folks going home, out to happy hour, etc. I do not like to work the 2:00 a.m. - 4:00 a.m. shift for many reasons, and only do that if business is rolling strong. Last night there was no business worth staying up late for. Rather be fresh to go out and do a long shift today. But here's a question: if you were out there all night, why did you not get any surge fares? It was surging all night. What do you think is going on there?

Yankee

2 things...

First, most people in cities with a lot of government workers get paid every 2 weeks and this week isn't one of them.

Second, for some reason Thursday nights have more people going out to the entertainment district than Friday. I could never understand this even when I was one of them going out.

Hey GBD, hows it going? So, I'm noticing a downward trend since SXSW ended. Prior to then, I usually did double on Friday nights what I did last night. As for the theory about going out on Thursdays instead, that has not been my experience. I usually do okay on Thurs eves but I never do better than on a Fri or Sat. In fact, here's my line for this Thursday:
Logged in at 5:08, worked till 10:48. 8 pings. 3 cancellations. No surge fares. About $90 gross. No. This won't do.

Select

That's a great fare for you, Select! Glad for you! But I always work these hours. I like to start early to drive people to dinner and shows. Usually the calls start coming in around 6:00. The earlier crowd (5:00) are rush hour folks going home, out to happy hour, etc. I do not like to work the 2:00 a.m. - 4:00 a.m. shift for many reasons, and only do that if business is rolling strong. Last night there was no business worth staying up late for. Rather be fresh to go out and do a long shift today. But here's a question: if you were out there all night, why did you not get any surge fares? It was surging all night. What do you think is going on there?

Ah the surge fares....
When I first started, I chased the surge prices all over the map. Just to find out when I hit the red on the map it goes back to normal.

I have sat in the middle/top/bottom of surge areas for 5minutes before without getting a ping. And then the map returns to normal.

Now I do not chase surge pricing nor does it motivate me to move to a particular area. Who knows, maybe I'm color blind and can not see red. Or maybe the surge price is just a unicorn.

Yankee

It's not just you.

Last night, another tough one. And then I ran into a driver who told me he's doing "pretty good" by playing the guarantee game. I'm wondering if Uber is favoring the guarantee drivers as a way to passively force us to play that game. If you learn you can't earn any $$ unless you do it, then eventually you get on a schedule. And no longer a "free agent" who "choose when you want to work". Yes, choose when you want to work but there's no money unless you sign up for the guarantee. Just wondering.

Reactions: GDB