Sliding doors...Automatic vs Manual

Miner

This question is for those fellows who own a minivan with automatic doors.
I am gonna upgrade my Van and want to know from your experience, that what kind of sliding doors are good....Automatic or Manual? My concern is that often passengers do not know that the door is automatic and try to open it manually which may damage the door. What's your experience. Please share.

Last edited:

Jimmy Bernat

One of the number one things to go out on mini vans is the automatic sliding doors and that's with normal use.
If they're opening and closing hundreds of times a month they'll go out even faster . I notice passengers struggle with auto doors all the time trying to force it closed instead of just pulling the handle once and letting it close on their own. I've also seen taxis and uber drivers have major issues with the doors closing.

I use to have a Honda Odyssey for a work van and the auto doors were a PITA , nice when they worked but often it took more then one try to get them to close

Miner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One of the number one things to go out on mini vans is the automatic sliding doors and that's with normal use.
If they're opening and closing hundreds of times a month they'll go out even faster . I notice passengers struggle with auto doors all the time trying to force it closed instead of just pulling the handle once and letting it close on their own. I've also seen taxis and uber drivers have major issues with the doors closing.

I use to have a Honda Odyssey for a work van and the auto doors were a PITA , nice when they worked but often it took more then one try to get them to close
Ok. Anyone else with this kind of experience....

Superduber

BTW, Does your van have manual doors? Is that a problem for pax?

Not driving a minivan, but always mulling over what will be my next ride.

404NofFound

Electric doors are horrible for Uber. There is no time to ask them not to pull the door open. Mostly in mid sentence of trying to tell them, they grab the door.

One Star

Seen too many problems over the years with them especially with the drunks who try to ram them open or shut manually when they are trying to open/close on auto. Very expensive to fix when they do go so most don't bother fixing them once they crap out.

Lolinator

I am gonna upgrade my Van and want to know from your experience, that what kind of sliding doors are good....Automatic or Manual? My concern is that often passengers do not know that the door is automatic and try to open it manually which may damage the door. What's your experience. Please share.
ElelcEleix is best

Gone_in_60_seconds

Mini vans are for soccer moms. Who wants to drive a mini van? Once you start driving one, it means that your male bachelor hood is over and the ball and chain of marriage are now on your ankle. LOL. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Toronto

Electric doors are horrible for Uber. There is no time to ask them not to pull the door open. Mostly in mid sentence of trying to tell them, they grab the door.
Damn this thread was from 2016!!!
Automatic doors are only good to open the door for them before they get in the car then switch to manual.

404NofFound

Mini vans are for soccer moms. Who wants to drive a mini van? Once you start driving one, it means that your male bachelor hood is over and the ball and chain of marriage are now on your ankle. LOL. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Damn this thread was from 2016!!!
Automatic doors are only good to open the door for them before they get in the car then switch to manual.
Thank you. On manual it opens slowly because of the cables, and of course strong guys muscle it. I found a good youtube video that showed me how to completely disable it, and disconnect the cable pulley. Now it opens smoothly and effortlessly!

Toronto

Thank you. On manual it opens slowly because of the cables, and of course strong guys muscle it. I found a good youtube video that showed me how to completely disable it, and disconnect the cable pulley. Now it opens smoothly and effortlessly!
Grand Caravan when you switch to manually on the roof switch it will open manual effortlessly.

Toronto

I had odyssey and have child safety lock on. Only I can open and close for pax from dash board.
That would be good but I’m assuming the pax will pull the handle so hard try to open the door so throw the door to the ground!