• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Sleeping In the Car

Seth619navy

Full disclosure, I feel a tad embarrassed even coming up with this thread. However, sometimes you gotta get a little desperate when you want to make that good money during early hours (especially when your home is a decent distance away and you decided to work late the night before).

Anyways, feel free to post your tips as far as:

*where to legally and safely sleep
*where in the car you sleep and comfortable positions you have found.
*products you use for situations like this (ie, certains pillows, blankets, etc.

For me (I've only done this twice before), I park at the parking lot of West Mission Bay (right before the bridge where it turns into Crown Point). I lay in the passenger seat (more leg room) and use a small travel pillow, along with one of those sleep masks that cover the eyes. For hygiene, I pack travel sizes of the following: toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant and face wipes. Before I start driving, I'll spray a decent amount of Febreeze throughout the car, let it settle, then drive a few miles with the windows down.

Transportador

I do the same thing when it's slow or when I really need a nap. I have a neck pillow that straps to the support bars of my head rest. I stay in the driver seat and lean it back.

The other day I was napping in my company's parking garage during lunch and had a dream...actually a nightmare. I was in the back seat of my car and some dude was driving it away fast on a highway, and I had missed a meeting, and he wouldn't stop. Woke right up and glad it was only a dream, LOL.
Post automatically merged:

For locations I would use a gas station or fast food place that's still open (drive thru). Avoid shopping mall parking lots. I had a cop in Palo Alto come check on me in mall parking lot before. He was nice, but woke me up. Avoid local streets, some "neighborhood watch" guy might bother you too.

BTW, you can buy the in-car neck pillow from Daiso Japan. Cool store for all kinds of stuff like that.

Last edited:

CJfrom619

I never sleep or nap in the car. Im always trying to stay busy. I guess just being 30 minutes away from home anywhere you are with the ability to turn off the app at anytime is the deterrent. When I feel tired or sleepy I just head home. I can never sleep comfortably in a car anyways.

PioneerXi

I’ll tell you my set up, but give you the reasoning first.

The wife, daughters (4) and I each have kits that I put together years ago as the girls began to drive. Each kit once a quarter on the first Sunday of the month, gets its perishables changed. The kit has a road map of the SW corner of the USA that has three locations marked - one each on the 10 and the 8 near the AZ border, and a third in NM. It has $10 in rolled quarters, $40 in cash, and three telephone numbers printed on a laminated card.

In the event of a natural disaster, or worst, everyone is to make their way “east” to our rendezvous point in NM. The phone numbers are our out of state and international telephone contacts who are to be telephoned (if possible) as you reach one of the three locations.

Each kit contains:

• 6 bottles of water
  • 6 protein bars
  • 2 bags of Twizzlers
  • 2 containers of chewing gum
  • Solar flashlight
  • Insulation blanket
  • Sunscreen
  • Spare reading and sunglasses
  • A wide brim hat (waterproof)
  • 4 changes of underwear
  • Long sleeve shirt and jeans
  • 4 pairs of socks
  • Pair of gloves
  • Small first aid kit
  • Mace
  • Whistle
  • Reflective vest
  • Bathroom kit (toothpaste, toothbrush, mouthwash, razor, soap, Hotel shampoo, ladies products, comb, pack of toilet paper)
  • Pencils, sharpener and a writing pad
  • A credit card linked to an out of state account.
  • Photocopies of passports, drivers license, SSN secreted within the car.
  • Car phone charger.
  • Items are carried in a small hiking backpack about 10 pounds weight. One daughter carries personal daily medication, another carries a small amount of dog food and a collapsible dog dish. Their mother and I carry the medication and dog food, I also carry an AED.

I have dipped into my supplies doing Rideshare, returning from LAX or Riverside at night. My locations to nap are the SB rest stops on the 5 and the 15. Both have toilets, phones, and as I found out last year during the fires, showers. They’re well lit and while a “driver reviver” stop for me, serve the purpose.

Being a day shift driver, anything inside that, is a drive home.

XPG

Full disclosure, I feel a tad embarrassed even coming up with this thread.
From border to Oceanside, drivers sleep all around the city. Your employer Uber, and whoever is not controlling Uber, should be embarrassed (not you) for making you sleep in your car, instead of going home between your shifts. 3rd country level labor conditions in America's finest city.

Supersponge

From border to Oceanside, drivers sleep all around the city. Your employer Uber, and whoever is not controlling Uber, should be embarrassed (not you) for making you sleep in your car, instead of going home between your shifts. 3rd country level labor conditions in America's finest city.
He lives in san marcos..to dead head there just cuz tired would be a negative in my book..it makes sense to me to take a nap than keep going..i always sleep from 3.am to 5 a m in my car cuz thats when i get most tired i lay seat back and flip my jacket around and use a like a blanket jacket hood covers face..works well i live in mexico so if im in north county im for sure not dead heading home..i wake at 5.a.m pull the mouth wash out cup of coffee and im good until 11 a.m thats wen i go home..come back across around 10 p.m repeat.

Last edited:

Transportador

He lives in san marcos..to dead head there just cuz tired would be a negative in my book..it makes sense to me to take a nap than keep going..i always sleep from 3.am to 5 a m in my car cuz thats when i get most tired i lay seat back and flip my jacket around and use a like a blanket jacket hood covers face..works well i live in mexico so if im in north county im for sure not dead heading home..i wake at 5.a.m pull the mouth wash out cup of coffee and im good until 11 a.m thats wen i go home..come back across around 10 p.m repeat.
U are the man. I admire your work ethics!

WTF. What do you say about truckers sleeping in their trucks on the side of highway ramps? What a dumb statement

And Uber ain’t an employer. Get it straight

Null

I could be 48 hours with no sleep and not fall asleep in a car, plane, or any vehicle except maybe an RV.

I'm super jelly of people that can fall asleep on demand.

Seth619navy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, living in San Marcos is the reason for the recent "camp outs", although I find it very hard to find a comfortable position in my car. In the two times I've tried it, I didn't get more than two hours of sleep. If I was still living in Golden Hill, I'd be home in bed each night.

DirtyRead

I have slept in my car plenty of times and for plenty of reasons during my 27 years of driving. I took the passenger seat completely out of my accord and cut and fit a foam bed but that was a long time ago. As for Ubering sleep tips, I hope these count because I don't know what "between my shift" "Uber my employer" "3rd country" and "being made to" mean. I understand the individual words but grouped together with in the context I am just lost. Anyway here's some of my tips.
1. Make friends with some of the overnight guys working parking garages.
2. Some gas stations close. Some have car washes. Some are closed and have car washes. I aint telling you where they are and don't burn my spots if you find them.
3. More of a F.Y.I. or buyer beware then a tip but "Ted, rest stops are the bath houses of the 90's"
4. See PioneerXI's list. everyone is well advised to keep such items.
5. I like to pull my passenger seat forward with the back all the way down. a sit backwards with a pillow or blanket between my back and dashboard,
6. take your keys out of the ignition.
7. it doesn't have to be late at night. you may have only been driving a short time or short distance. bumper to bumper traffic on the 405 has done it to me before in the middle of the day. the most important thing to know and LIVE by is if you are starting to drift off or think you might GET OFF THE ROAD ASAP. Don't worry about anything else but to quickly and safely stop driving. I have never had a police officer give me a ticket because I was too tired to drive. If you do have to stop call and let someone know where you are and why. Once you have started to drift off nothing in the world but rest is going to stop it from continuing. !5 minuets can can make a big difference but you might need more. After you have rested if safe to do so get out a walk and move your body around before driving. Doesn't matter if you are tired because you chose to drive a long time or you are under the control of an evil international cooperation who's only goal is to torture and destroy your life through complex and elaborate schemes, don't think you can beat sleep. Don't let pride take your life. The best place for sleep is in your own bed. Get enough sleep before you drive.

Yes, living in San Marcos is the reason for the recent "camp outs", although I find it very hard to find a comfortable position in my car. In the two times I've tried it, I didn't get more than two hours of sleep. If I was still living in Golden Hill, I'd be home in bed each night.
Lets all chip in get a sweet but cheap winnebago and park it statigicly somewhere.

kevin92009

There’s two companies are a disgrace to the American workforce

kevin92009

I used to do the sofa and TV thing with airport filters on but now they turned the destinations filter into worthless garbage

kevin92009

wondering if i should get a comfortable vw bus to live in and just drive around doing food delivery in my cozy little home lol