Slasher in Harvard Square

Dutchie

I just got this phone alert. Just something to be aware of if any of you happen to pick up pax in the Harvard Square area:

Cambridge Police Investigating Two Late Night Assaults in Harvard Square

CAMBRIDGE, Mass., September 3, 2017 -- Cambridge Police are actively investigating two overnight, non-life threatening assaults in the Harvard Square area.

In the first incident, a Cambridge resident stated he was crossing the street at Eliot and Bennett Street at approximately 10:30 p.m., when a male came up behind him, grabbed him and struck him in the back of the head. The victim sustained a non-life threatening cut -- believed to be a possible stab wound -- and was transported to a local hospital for treatment. The suspect was with two other individuals when this altercation occurred.

In the second incident, reported approximately 10-15 minutes later, an Arlington resident reported receiving a slash-type wound to his lower side of his back. The victim left work and began walking towards JFK Park to smoke a cigarette. He stated he was focused on his cellphone when a male, who was with a group of three other individuals, reportedly stabbed him in the back and punched him in the face. The victim returned to his workplace, but refused medical attention after sustaining non-life threatening injuries.

The suspect involved in both incidents was described as a black male, approximately 6 feet tall and a medium build. In the first incident, the suspect was also described as having an afro hair style. It is unclear what type of weapon was used in either incident.

There have been no other recent incidents similar to these in the city.

The investigation into these incidents is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call the Cambridge Police at 617-349-3300.

BostonTaxiDriver

I just got this phone alert. Just something to be aware of if any of you happen to pick up pax in the Harvard Square area:

CAMBRIDGE, Mass., September 3, 2017 -- Cambridge Police are actively investigating two overnight, non-life threatening assaults in the Harvard Square area.

In the first incident, a Cambridge resident stated he was crossing the street at Eliot and Bennett Street at approximately 10:30 p.m., when a male came up behind him, grabbed him and struck him in the back of the head. The victim sustained a non-life threatening cut -- believed to be a possible stab wound -- and was transported to a local hospital for treatment. The suspect was with two other individuals when this altercation occurred.

In the second incident, reported approximately 10-15 minutes later, an Arlington resident reported receiving a slash-type wound to his lower side of his back. The victim left work and began walking towards JFK Park to smoke a cigarette. He stated he was focused on his cellphone when a male, who was with a group of three other individuals, reportedly stabbed him in the back and punched him in the face. The victim returned to his workplace, but refused medical attention after sustaining non-life threatening injuries.

The suspect involved in both incidents was described as a black male, approximately 6 feet tall and a medium build. In the first incident, the suspect was also described as having an afro hair style. It is unclear what type of weapon was used in either incident.

The investigation into these incidents is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call the Cambridge Police at 617-349-3300.
The students interviewed in the local news mostly deemed to be surprised but not too concerned. One said this stuff happens everywhere.

It is concerning, though, as it happens in primetime in busy areas.

I wonder what the Obamas are thinking, as they dropped off Malia just last week.

Nowadays, wouldn't there be many cameras around that may have captured it all?

Is it from the Cambridge Police Department's twitter? Maybe I should subscribe.

Dutchie

The students interviewed in the local news mostly deemed to be surprised but not too concerned. One said this stuff happens everywhere.

I wonder what the Obamas are thinking, as they dropped off Malia just last week.

I get these updates from the Harvard University Police Department, as I work for Harvard. You probably could get updates from the Cambridge Police Dept through Twitter alerts I think if you are interested. . Yes, there are camera's everywhere in HSQ! So theymust have some footage they can review. I don't think the Obama's need to worry much as Malia has security around her at all times I'm sure. Not only her own security, but I am sure HUPD also has someone undercover assigned to shadow her around campus. The scary thing is that lots of bad stuff happens all the time in Cambridge (HSQ and Central SQ in particular) that does not make the news....

Hugh J

giphy.gif

john1975

I thought you were talking about a band playing there when I saw the title lol

Nick781

Alot more things happen in Cambridge than you know........ these were minor stab wounds. Shootings, assaults, rapes etc you don't hear about.

Dutchie

Cambridge ..., more stuff happens than we know, I just got this minute ago from my daughter's school:

Dear Families,

We do not wish to alarm families, but we do wish to keep you informed of a shooting and police chase that has occurred in the Central Square area. There is no reason to believe that students have been anywhere in the area of the incident, however out of an abundance of caution, CPS has instituted a "Secure and Hold" at schools located near Central Square and East. Students will be held inside for recess and extra precautions will be in place at the following schools:

• Amigos School
  • CRLS
  • CSUS
  • Cambridgeport
  • Fletcher-Maynard
  • High School Extension Program
  • Kennedy-Longfellow School
  • King Open School
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Morse
  • PAUS
Police are pursuing a suspect and we will keep you informed of any updates.

Nick781

#CambMA PD investigating gunshots on Auburn St near River St. 2 victims. One w/wound to hand; another w/wound to knee. Info? 617-349-3359.

News briefing at 12 pm

Nick781

There was a police chase, homicide, home invasion recently in Waltham too.

I wouldn't be surprised if juveniles were involved in this. I worked with the ones in Cambridge and it was hell.