Skyline!

Halfmybrain

Sometimes I want to ask out of town passengers to come up front to see the great view of the most magnificent skyline. For me this is often coming from the north side and the Westin wall is the least interesting of the approaches. (I always watch for the ascending vapor in winter months.)

I favor the view from south LSD or around Halsted & Roosevelt (I could be off, but that general area) which has few obstructions. I'm usually alone when approaching from these directions. At times I can even get just a bit sentimental. I don't live here, maybe that allows me to treasure it like my own.

The best view ever, though, was from Northerly Island, at a concert, at day's end as the reflective buildings to the west shimmered with gold and the colors of the sunset.

Anyway, if I'm visiting a city or taking a flight, my nose is at the window and my eyes are slurping up the colors and angles and shapes.

UberBeemer

The best view ever, though, was from Northerly Island, at a concert, at day's end as the reflective buildings to the west shimmered with gold and the colors of the sunset.
The best view driving used to be coming off 55 to northbound LSD in the morning. When they created the museum campus, they rerouted this. Its still good, but was a lot better.

Iann

This thread is useless without pics.

I bet Portland at night will give you a run for your money.

Ad nauseam

Okay, the best skyline view from your car in near McCormick (very near) Navy pier and the museum campus. I'd bore you with the particulars....but whats matters is where ya going and where you coming from.

What can matter, if you role like kah5683
Is that just naming and pointing out the city highlights and knowing the difference between the blue cross and standard oil building and just basic tourist stuff can greatly increase your bottom line.

Grunions

There is a short stretch of Milwaukee near the river that has a nice shot of the skyline over the river.

Ad nauseam

It's a line (upskirt) ain't in da sky:smiles:

And maybe, please forgive, wee bit of a jack.

But what I find is groups of traveling party guys....wanna know where to go to find where the ...... women at? (Blazing saddles)

Ya'll know? I'm slight slide off 55, best I got is wine bar at Mariano's and learned that the other day.

I be all like, the Library! Stalk the philosophy racks.

UberBeemer

Okay, the best skyline view from your car in near McCormick (very near) Navy pier and the museum campus. I'd bore you with the particulars....but whats matters is where ya going and where you coming from.

What can matter, if you role like kah5683
Is that just naming and pointing out the city highlights and knowing the difference between the blue cross and standard oil building and just basic tourist stuff can greatly increase your bottom line.
I miss the days where you would see the neon, like tge Magikist lips, and the playboy sign, allerton tip top lounge, etc

mahatma57

Heading south on LSD just south of Fullerton as you come to the top of that little hill. It is framed best if you are in the center lane.

Halfmybrain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...where the ...... women at? (Blazing saddles)

I be all like, the Library! Stalk the philosophy racks.
I'm sure you meant to type "bookshelves."

I miss the days where you would see the neon, like tge Magikist lips, and the playboy sign, allerton tip top lounge, etc
I sure remember the Magikist sign--animated--for its time. It was there when I was a wee lad, and my folks could not afford a babysitter (actually would not subject one to the holy terrors me and my little brother were!) so they lugged us along when they played pinochle at my aunt & uncle's place. I remember lying back in the station wagon looking up at the lights...Magikist was THE major landmark at night!

NoPooPool

I'm sure you meant to type "bookshelves."

I sure remember the Magikist sign--animated--for its time. It was there when I was a wee lad, and my folks could not afford a babysitter (actually would not subject one to the holy terrors me and my little brother were!) so they lugged us along when they played pinochle at my aunt & uncle's place. I remember lying back in the station wagon looking up at the lights...Magikist was THE major landmark at night!
Great reminder, Beemer on the Magikist lips. I almost forgot about that sign and landmark along the expressway.

Halfmybrain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That night skyline last week---stark and clear on the approach up Lake Shore Drive! One night I'm going to pull over in an Accident Investigation Area or something, and just let my jaw fully drop for a few minutes (while pretending to look under the hood).

UberBeemer

That night skyline last week---stark and clear on the approach up Lake Shore Drive! One night I'm going to pull over in an Accident Investigation Area or something, and just let my jaw fully drop for a few minutes (while pretending to look under the hood).
Head over to the Adler. If the lake is calm, walk out around the building, the view is amazing.

veblenrules

Looking north toward the Loop from LSD around Oakwood Blvd. has been a phenomenal view for years. People up North just don't get it!

Last edited: