• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Sitting in surge area with no rides

Brendan23

Hi guys please help.
I can be parked and watch all around me surge up to 3.0 then back down to 1.0 without being offered a rider.
How can I change this?
Thank you

WindyCityAnt

Ask Uber. They always have a great explaination for it. Customer care is very helpful and happy to assist you in the problem you are having. Oh btw, thank you for being part of Partners how can we assist you?

Oh sir/mam your in a surge area with non pings coming in? Please drive around. I would like to make sure your app is working correctly...

Ping..... 3x surge or w/e

Now you are 12 miles away again. No surge. What do you do?

Call Uber support.

Thank for for being partners with our community, how can we help you?

Now it’s documented line by line on your account. You chase surge. Good luck with it in the future on getting good shares of surge you see from the riders app now.

Just what I have seen from experiences here.

losiglow

I'm absolutely convinced that the algorithm Uber uses for surge takes into account a lot more than a simple driver/pax request ratio. Obviously that's a big factor. The biggest probably. But I'm certain that other things are taken into account like time of day, Uber users online, holidays, possibly events, other stuff like that. In other words, if those other factors trigger a surge, but there's not necessarily a whole ton of requests, it could result in the driver just sitting there in a 4X surge.

The other possibility is that a whole ton of people just ordered rides, then no one else is because the price is too high but it takes Uber a few minutes to drop the price (another part of it's algorithm).

No Prisoners

Either you have connection issues or you're seeing a screen that hasn't refreshed. Uber likes to keep surge zones frozen on screen to keep unsuspected drivers in an area. It's just another mind game.
Nevertheless, doubtful that if it's really surging Uber is ignoring you. When surging uber needs to fill every request asap. If you banked a sticky surge uber doesn't want you to leave the area, so you could use it on a non surge ride. Trust me they're not ignoring you. No one is that important for algorithm to concentrate on anyone when is busy.
Since I don't accept pings without surge, or even with low surges, sometimes I have to logoff the app, because Uber won't stop sending me pings. It's like a nagging cockatoo. I could decline 20 consecutive pings and the algorithm does not care. It's more stupid than my daughter's cat. And believe me that's one dumb animal.
Uber might put you on timeout, i call it ex wive's silent treatment, when you decline pings outside surging areas. But when surging algorithm will send pings to anyone.

UberTN

Hi guys please help.
I can be parked and watch all around me surge up to 3.0 then back down to 1.0 without being offered a rider.
How can I change this?
Thank you
What I have found is I only have to enter the surge area to get surge credit. As soon as I get the credit, I can literally go anywhere and the surge amount is added to my next passenger - even if that is miles away from the original surge. Don’t sit around and wait. Your city might be different, but once I figured this out, I started making more money, faster.

UberTN

Most times, I won’t wait more than ten or fifteen minutes before changing locations. Sometimes it’s not the location, but the demand.

UberTrent9

Sat in a 2.8 surge today for 15 minutes, and watched it slowly cycle it's way down to 1.2 some 30 minutes later. Not one ping.
I did that a few weeks back in Pasadena, it did nearly the same thing. Surge was just over 2.1, "suddenly" 25 minutes later(after sitting in the middle of the surge) the rate dropped to 1.3. I lold
Post automatically merged:

I could decline 20 consecutive pings and the algorithm does not care.
Not true, as ive recently found out when they decided to "restrict/disable" my instant pay for declining "too many trips in one day/ not making a sincere effort to pick up pax" is how it was explained to me.

When i tried appealing, i got a "further incidents could result in deactivation of your account" response.

So now, i cant use IP for whatever length of time they determine, which sucks.

You should consider yourself lucky to have not had either happen to you.

Last edited:

No Prisoners

I did that a few weeks back in Pasadena, it did nearly the same thing. Surge was just over 2.1, "suddenly" 25 minutes later(after sitting in the middle of the surge) the rate dropped to 1.3. I lold

Not true, as ive recently found out when they decided to "restrict/disable" my instant pay for declining "too many trips in one day/ not making a sincere effort to pick up pax" is how it was explained to me.

When i tried appealing, i got a "further incidents could result in deactivation of your account" response.

As an independent contractor Uber will not and cannot deactivate you for not accepting trips. However, if you accept and try to outsmart the system by not moving, running down the clock, or any other tricks, you may be deactivated. The system knows where you are, speed of traveling, directions, traffic conditions. They probably even know when you fart in the car.

I've never even received any type of warnings for not accepting rides. My acceptance ratio is never above 3%. In fact, I've discussed this with Uber and received emails confirming that drivers are not deactivated for acceptance rate. Uber already was sued and lost for this reason. Nevertheless, there are plenty of drivers willing to take whatever pings. Uber does not care whether you accept pings or not. You're not important.
Uber is not stupid, they always know what you're doing. Sometimes they just look the other way. But trust me, they're aware when drivers try to outsmart the algorithm.

FLKeys

What I have found is I only have to enter the surge area to get surge credit. As soon as I get the credit, I can literally go anywhere and the surge amount is added to my next passenger - even if that is miles away from the original surge. Don’t sit around and wait. Your city might be different, but once I figured this out, I started making more money, faster.
Few things to this, it sounds like the OP is still in the old surge market based on the multiplier. If this is the case the surge will not stick like the dollar amount.

The dollar surge will pay more than the dollar amount shown if you get a ride in that surge zone, the pay out will have a surge adjustment in it making it better than the stuck surge amount.

In my market it is very rare to get a surge ride. So in theory the new stick dollar amount is better, for me. I drive through it and get that amount on my next ride. Better than no surge because no rides come through during the surge on the screen.

Keep in mind the stuck surge is only good for the market you picked it up in. If you cross market lines it will stay stuck and not get paid. I picked up a +$2.00 in one market, crossed market lines and did 5 trips and never got paid the +$2.00. It stayed on the screen after each trip. Went back to the market where it stuck later that day and first ping I got paid the stuck $2.00 and then it was off my screen.

ANT 7

UberTrent9 said:
I did that a few weeks back in Pasadena, it did nearly the same thing. Surge was just over 2.1, "suddenly" 25 minutes later(after sitting in the middle of the surge) the rate dropped to 1.3. I lol
Or, you'll get a non-surge ping with a pickup 3 miles away outside the surge zone.

UberTrent9

As an independent contractor Uber will not and cannot deactivate you for not accepting trips. However, if you accept and try to outsmart the system by not moving, running down the clock, or any other tricks, you may be deactivated. The system knows where you are, speed of traveling, directions, traffic conditions. They probably even know when you fart in the car.

I've never even received any type of warnings for not accepting rides. My acceptance ratio is never above 3%. In fact, I've discussed this with Uber and received emails confirming that drivers are not deactivated for acceptance rate. Uber already was sued and lost for this reason. Nevertheless, there are plenty of drivers willing to take whatever pings. Uber does not care whether you accept pings or not. You're not important.
Uber is not stupid, they always know what you're doing. Sometimes they just look the other way. But trust me, they're aware when drivers try to outsmart the algorithm.
Well, i didnt try to "outsmart them", i cancelled a bunch of rides ome night because i was close to running out of gas one instance, then i didnt wait arouns for some dumb, lazy botch, who "demanded i wait for her", despite it being past the 5 minute mark., and another instance where they would be "out in a minute", but werent and went past the 5 minute mark.

Im not turning down otjer trips to wait for them to come out.

I have no reason to make it up, a guy naamed "Taylor" in support, was apparently offended enough by something, so he disabled my instant pay and now i cant use it.

UberTN

Few things to this, it sounds like the OP is still in the old surge market based on the multiplier. If this is the case the surge will not stick like the dollar amount.

The dollar surge will pay more than the dollar amount shown if you get a ride in that surge zone, the pay out will have a surge adjustment in it making it better than the stuck surge amount.

In my market it is very rare to get a surge ride. So in theory the new stick dollar amount is better, for me. I drive through it and get that amount on my next ride. Better than no surge because no rides come through during the surge on the screen.

Keep in mind the stuck surge is only good for the market you picked it up in. If you cross market lines it will stay stuck and not get paid. I picked up a +$2.00 in one market, crossed market lines and did 5 trips and never got paid the +$2.00. It stayed on the screen after each trip. Went back to the market where it stuck later that day and first ping I got paid the stuck $2.00 and then it was off my screen.
So far, the surge amount has been applied to my next trip, regardless of the actual pick up point. Either I have misunderstood what you mean by “market”, or it is different here. Either way, every extra dollar helps.

FLKeys

So far, the surge amount has been applied to my next trip, regardless of the actual pick up point. Either I have misunderstood what you mean by “market”, or it is different here. Either way, every extra dollar helps.
By market I mean areas listed as separate markets by Uber. If I drive from the Florida Keys into Miami I leave one market and enter another market. Each market has or could have different rates and requirements. So a sticky I pick up in Miami will not be paid in the Florida Keys. If I travel back to Miami it will be paid on the next ping as long as it was still stuck there.

Ssgcraig

Hi guys please help.
How can I change this?
Thank you
LOL, you still have a multiplier. One good thing about the flat surge, when you drive through it you're guaranteed the amount on your next ping. My drive home from day job is 35 miles, sometimes I drive through a good $10.00 surge and won't get a ping until I get home, but I still get that $10.00.

Ubergaldrivet

Were you cherry picking, leaving the kaka for the rest of us to drive? No issues, Uber will give us those rides once they deactivate you. That’s how it works now.