1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Single day protests don't work. Would you agree to Uber Off 1 Day a week?

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by Michael - Cleveland, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Rephael

Rephael New Member

I Didn't Work Tuesday
    Rephael

Michael - Cleveland likes this.
  2. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    ColdRiderColdRider : no: what Uber would 'see' is people unable to get conveniently able to get rides with Uber - 1 day a week - every week.

StyggeStygge : no, if we're not driving, we're not taking any requests, of any type.
    I went to a Springsteen concert last night.
    It's pretty easy to maintain the number hours I want to drive each week - without driving on Tuesdays.
    (besides, an insignificant number of people who use UberX ever order an UberSELECT at THREE TIMES THE COST... but if they do, it pretty much proves the point that they are willing to pay more for the service.)

The concept and the movement is not a 'strike'. Drivers are not employees and work their own schedules.
    This is about creating an environment where drivers use their ability to set their own days and hours to have a noticeable impact on Uber's business while still being able to drive as much as they need to during the week - every week. It's about using OUR CONTROL. It's about being able to ask riders to participate so they know what's going on and can support Uber drivers by using a different means of transportation one day a week. It's about building something over time that media can follow and report on (as opposed to 'planned one-time protests' that get 50 people to show up.

If you don't understand that, then don't participate.
    If you don't care about Uber X fares - then don't participate.
    If you aren't willing to support those who ARE DOING SOMETHING to communicate to the public and Uber that these low earnings are not acceptable, then don't participate.

me2, Ms.Doe and Modern-Day-Slavery like this.
  3. ColdRider

ColdRider Well-Known Member

I forgot all real strikes only required one day a week to be successful.

I thought strikes required work stoppage until demands or some compromise were met. Silly me.

Take a day off guys! But then agree to work for pennies the next day!!

Good luck

4. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    No 'strike' ever mentioned here.
    This is just arranging our work schedules to meet OUR needs and send a message - one that we hope will grow loud enough to be heard - all without asking drivers to lose what little income they may have now.
    And, Thank you!

Ms.Doe likes this.
  5. thomas1955

thomas1955 Well-Known Member

I like it !

6. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    That's why the TWITTER account (@UberOffTuesdays) and hashtag (#UberOffTuesdays).
    Follow @UberOffTuesdays and retweet!
    Add the hashtag (#UberOffTuesdays) to all posts concerning Uber and rideshare.
    That's how we spread the word - slowly, but surely.

7. Rephael

Rephael New Member

I agree to any thing to change fares to be earth it

8. Marcounet

Marcounet New Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Hello,
    Is there a webpage with your requests? Does somebody lead the protest and can talk to Uber if they need a representative?
    I see here a willing to protest, but not organized, I need more intake to be part of.
    May be you do not want to call it a strike, but this is what it looks like.
    By the way, Uber wants to make more money, and they think that spending less money (to the drivers) is the solution. This is very poor management, but some people think like that.
    What is important to Uber are the riders. Protesting to Uber will not be heard. Make the riders unhappy will lead to better result. UberOffTuesday will not stop the service, may be just a little more expensive (so more money to Uber too!!). I think that a better way to make the riders unhappy is to lower the service, not to raise the price a little. For example, the "strikers" can have a 10% acceptance rate: the riders have to wait several minutes for having a car, as the app says that there are several car in the neighborhood, there is no surge to push non participant drivers to come to the place, so the service will be low and make them unhappy.
    A good strike is not when workers do not come at the office (the company call this "sick days"), this is when workers come at the office and do not work!
    But you also need to communicate (my question about the webpage) if you want your requests to be heard, and talk to the riders to be understood (they will not be our best representatives, they want to pay less...).
    Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Modern-Day-Slavery likes this.
  9. Modern-Day-Slavery

Modern-Day-Slavery Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
  10. UberLyftOrlando

UberLyftOrlando New Member

And just as you said that one day wouldn't hurt a driver's earnings, actually it would. It would mean I would now make $600 a week rather than $700 a week. AND it wouldn't hurt Uber at all. You would have to get every single driver from both Uber and Lyft to do this and you don't stand a chance. If you don't like the pay get a different job or work for a cab company.

11. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    That's you. Lots of us figure out how to keep our earnings at the same level (drive lyft - or simply make Tuesdays our day off from driving). If you don't want to do it, then don't. If you can't do it - then don't. Just do what you can... do something to to give voice to driver's concerns. If you don't have any concerns to voice - then leave those of us who do alone.

Ms.Doe and thomas1955 like this.
  12. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    upload_2016-4-15_16-53-9.png

Ms.Doe likes this.
  13. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    <yawn>

14. Jim A

Jim A Member

I like the idea of an "Uber off Day". But I'm with others in saying that Tuesday isn't the best day to do it. Where I am, Tuesdays are on the lighter side of requests with Uber. I can't speak on the Lyft side, since I'm not Lyft verified yet.

Thursdays, Fridays, or Saturdays are usually the most busy in my area that I've seen. With warmer weather in the northern states, I'd bet that coastal areas are getting more requests than landlocked areas on any day of the week.

15. Bart McCoy

Bart McCoy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    im on Uber platinum status, why da heck would I strike? im getting double the fare

16. Ubersucksgas

Ubersucksgas Active Member

What is that?

17. Bart McCoy

Bart McCoy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    their new status program in most markets (bronze/silver/gold/plat, higher pays more of course, but bronze pays 1.4x any fare)
    if you're platinum, then if you get a $15fare, uber will pay you $30
    uber is finally worthwhile now

18. 80sDude

80sDude Well-Known Member

Turn the APP off till it Surge's.. or go home

19. Ubersucksgas

Ubersucksgas Active Member

lol Good Luck to you.

20. Ms.Doe

Ms.Doe Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL