1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Single day protests don't work. Would you agree to Uber Off 1 Day a week?

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by Michael - Cleveland, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    It could be any one day... just every TUESDAY.
    That wouldn't hurt any one individual driver's earnings much - but would impact Uber. And it would get the public's attention, one day EVERY week.

Would you be willing to adjust your driving schedule to support
    "UBER-OFF TUESDAYS"?

I would.

The reason being that a single day of protest seems impossible to get much attention or have an impact on Uber's operations. Any action (or non-action) by drivers needs to have the time to build momentum and gain participants.

If we could slowly but surely get the word out that EVERY Tuesday is a day to UBER-OFF, and drivers could exercise that flexibility that Uber keeps telling drivers and the courts that drivers have, then we might be able to build something over time - that works for everyone's benefit.

'UBER-OFF TUESDAYS' is something that could also be communicated to riders as something that they too could participate with by choosing options other than Uber for travel on Tuesdays. It's a non-confrontational, participatory way to express our concern over how Uber is treating drivers and the public.

So - what do you think:
    • Would 'UBER-OFF TUESDAYS' be effective if maintained EVERY WEEK until Uber X/XL fares are set to reasonable levels?
    • Is 'UBER-OFF TUESDAYS' something you would support?
    • Would you be willing to promote the idea of 'UBER-OFF TUESDAYS' to other drivers locally? Talk about on the Uber/Rideshare FB pages and Twitter groups?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Ms.Doe, lbs, thomas1955 and 3 others like this.
  2. Thatendedbadly

Thatendedbadly Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Sure, I would. Problem being we can only reach a tiny percentage of drivers here, maybe a 'Uber Off Tuesday' FB page or Twitter hashtag might be a good venue for reaching drivers. The only way I could reach other drivers in these parts would be to stalk them via the rider app :D

Modern-Day-Slavery likes this.
  3. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
  4. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Whether you can participate or not,
    add this to your UberPeople.Net signature
    to help spread the word and the hashtag.

5. UberXCali

UberXCali Active Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I will participate, does it matter which state?

6. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    This all started in the CLEVELAND section with a comment by RephaelRephael. As we discussed it more, it seemed silly to just limit it to one city when it would be just as easy to spread the word nationally. That's how the title, #UberOffTuesdays hashtag and icon were born. Now it's up to members here to spread the word and see if this can grow legs. It is a true 'grass-roots' effort that is easy for all concerned to participate in.

The whole concept is less than 12 hours old.

Share the word. Share the hashtag. Share the image.
    http://tinyurl.com/japwmbu
    [​IMG]

Follow @UberOffTuesdays

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    chi1cabby likes this.
  7. UberXCali

UberXCali Active Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Okay, I will not drive Tuesday. Good luck!

Michael - Cleveland likes this.
  8. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Since the recent fare cuts, I've seen my earnings drop by 30% for the same number of hours/trips/expenses.
    I can't drive like that.

I'm in.
    Tuesdays are now 'Uber-Off' days for me.

9. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

It's worth promoting this. I think that the intention should be to get the public on-side. The image of the Uber logo with a line through it comes across as anti-Uber and angry. Which a lot of drivers are, but a positive protest logo and message signifying that drivers want positive change, maybe something representing drivers' families in some way, might be better.

10. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    If you could get the participation, this might be effective in the Capital of Your Nation. Congress usually does not meet on Monday, but, if it is in session, the first meeting day of the week is Tuesday, as a rule.

Does this apply to Uber Taxi, as well, or just UberX/UberXL/Uber Pool? Those of us who drive Uber Taxi have no quarrel with Uber about it, except maybe for the rating system. Still, I would not be unwilling to stay off the platform in solidarity with the UberX drivers. I do drive UberX, also. The cab drivers here, many of whom can not see beyond the end of their collective nose might not be for it in the beginning, but, if I could make them understand that it is in their better interest that rates on UberX go up, perhaps they might help. Let me know what we should do on Uber Taxi. If I am going to do UberX that week, usually I do it on Monday.

I could say that I am giving it up for Lent.

11. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I'm open to suggestions - If you can figure out how an icon can represent NO UBER ON TUESDAYS, I want to hear about it!

12. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I'd like the focus to remain on the base products: UberX and UberXL... as that is where the fare cuts have dropped so many drivers into driving at a loss. But this is grass-roots. Whatever happens in local markets should be determined by the drivers in those local markets.

Use a couple of hours on those Uber-Off Tuesdays to get together with other Uber drivers for breakfast. Create and distribute cards and flyers. Talk about easy, inexpensive ways to promote the movement.

13. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    A group of Cleveland drivers got together this evening (early morning, actually) after the downtown bar closing surges dwindled. We met for breakfast at a Denny's and talked shop, and everyone agreed to participate: Uber-Off Tuesdays!

zetetic likes this.
  14. alex16

alex16 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I already don't work Tuesday's. You guys are awesome. Uber off Tuesday's in progress!

Michael - Cleveland likes this.
  15. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
  16. uberguuber

uberguuber Well-Known Member

I prefer #UberOffThursday and Saturday morning. Because Thursday there are more people doing stuff and Saturday because I am not doing anything anyway...

Ms.Doe likes this.
  17. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I can appreciate that for some, Tuesdays may not work as a day off from driving Uber - but for this movement to work - for it to grow and have an impact - it must be consistent and continuous. The consensus was Tuesdays was the best balance between everyone's schedules and their need to still earn income. If you need to drive on Tuesdays - use an app other than Uber!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    uberguuber likes this.
  18. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
  19. Stygge

Stygge Well-Known Member

Of course you like that. More business for select then.:cool:

I'm not in Cleveland but I would never agree to that. I'm against strikes and as a consumer I don't want disruption. Isn't it enough that uber messes things up? Why would we try to make riders disgruntled? I have a sense that I see more taxi out and about already and I think this action may force some people to go back to taxi again.

With that said I'm generally against driving at base fare. It doesn't matter what day of the week it is.

20. ColdRider

ColdRider Well-Known Member

Strike one day per week. Return to work the next day.

Guess what uber will see: People still willing to drive.

BKK_SFO_Driver and Stygge like this.