Since when is For Hire driving a hobby?

Cableguynoe

TDLR- I don't like AI.
!
You don't like AI/Uber, but really it worked like a charm.
You had a driver in 5 minutes!
Isn't that freakin great?

I would recommend to anyone to have the app on your phone.
Next time your need an unexpected ride your daughter might not be around.
How else can you have a ride ready to go in 5 minutes?

BTW, that driver did a four hour trip for about sixty bux plus expenses.

SMH!!

Make that,

SMDH!!!!
Who knows, maybe he lives in that direction.

steveK2016

Last week my kids and I went to the Greyhound bus station to ship off the exwife.

There was a lady there in her late 80s early 90s that had flown in from NYC. Her plane was delayed and she missed the only bus heading to the Inland Empire. Her only option was a bus the next day.

Some how, not naming any names, (the exwife) volunteered us, we wound up trying to get her home. I would have taken her myself but it was a four hour roundtrip and I had to be at work in eight hours.

At first she was going to either rent a car or stay at a hotel.

I didn't really feel comfortable putting an older lady (not trying to be ageist) in a car for a two hour trip in the dark, to someplace she had never driven.

So we looked at booking her a hotel. The Best Western up the street was over a hundred bux. A car rental would be almost as much. So, I started thinking she could probly get an Uber for that much.

I don't Uber so I asked my daughter to get a fare quote. Ninety four bux.

As I explained to the lady if she got a hotel plus a taxi to the bus station the next morning plus cost of the bus plus taxi from the other station to her friends house, she'd spend about two hundred bux. Uber would be cheaper by half.

I saw a Yellow Cab outside the door so I ran out to get a quote but he left just as I got to the car. So, I called Yellow direct and I got AI. After about three questions, I hung up.

I don't like Uber, (hence no Uber app on my fone), obviously nothing against the drivers I just don't like how Uber operates. So we (my daughter) wound up helping the lady download the app.

Once downloaded, we ordered her Uber. Five minutes later it arrived, I placed her luggage in the trunk, we helped her into the front seat and away she went into the night.

All in all we spent about an hour with the lady. My exwife (the one who shall remain unnamed) had left 55 minutes earlier. But we didn't mind helping her she was a delightful lady.

TDLR- I don't like AI.

BTW, that driver did a four hour trip for about sixty bux plus expenses.

SMH!!

Make that,

SMDH!!!!
You had the opportunity to let a driver get an XL ride out of that, for the same price she would have spent on a hotel but saved time of having to wait til next day but you cockblocked that driver ..hope you feel proud man!

Cableguynoe

You had the opportunity to let a driver get an XL ride out of that, for the same price she would have spent on a hotel but saved time of having to wait til next day but you cockblocked that driver ..hope you feel proud man!
I thought something similar.

At least quote her $20 higher price and give the driver a $20 up front tip.
Still would have worked out well for her.

observer

I do.

She was a little old lady.

An XL would have cost her more money.

Respect your elders, sonny.:wink:

I thought something similar.

At least quote her $20 higher price and give the driver a $20 up front tip.
Still would have worked out well for her.
Yea, on this point I agree.

I totally should have let her know that a tip would have been greatly appreciated.
Next time this happens I will definitely tell them to tip.

She was a very nice lady, I hope she did tip him on her own.

steveK2016

I do.

She was a little old lady.

An XL would have cost her more money.

Respect your elders, sonny.:wink:

Yea, on this point I agree.

I totally should have let her know that a tip would have been greatly appreciated.
Next time this happens I will definitely tell them to tip.

She was a very nice lady, I hope she did tip him on her own.
I respect my elders: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Alexander Hamilton, Andrew Jackson, Ulysses S. Grant, and Benjamin Franklin.

So much so that I want to give them each a nice, safe home in my personal FDIC insured home.

observer

You don't like AI/Uber, but really it worked like a charm.
You had a driver in 5 minutes!
Isn't that freakin great?

I would recommend to anyone to have the app on your phone.
Next time your need an unexpected ride your daughter might not be around.
How else can you have a ride ready to go in 5 minutes?

Who knows, maybe he lives in that direction.
I just get kinda exasperated with the endless questions. Both AI and Uber are becoming necessary evils.

I would totally get behind an app for independent contractor drivers, I just personally don't like Uber.

All three of my kids use Uber but very sparingly. I've only been in one Uber and that was with them.

I started working at a place 12 miles from home where one of my kids works. My hundred dollar Tbirds motor recently blew up after four years of use. So now we commute together 3 days, the other two days I take the Metro. Metro is surprisingly good for me. It takes me 5-10 minutes longer than driving and when solo it's half the cost of gas.

UBERPROcolorado

Stamp collecting. Needlepoint. Spelinunking.
THESE are all hobbies.
Recently, I've been reading through these threads and several young Uberites stated unequivocally "I consider Uber a hobby'.
Say WHAAAAAT?
Never have I encountered a hobby which involves destroying ones car in order to supply wealth for the worlds biggest pre-IPO startup.
Is it just me, or have we failed with an entire generation?
A few years after retiring I found that I still wanted to work, but on my terms. I did some consulting but found it to be drab. Then a friend suggested driving for Uber.

I started driving about 2 years ago and found it to be enjoyable and addictive. I figured out how to make it profitable and found the daily battle with Uber to be fun and challenging.

The entire "gig" concept is, at best, a nice side income. Those that expect to carve out a full time living with a gig job are fooling themselves.
Anyone that expects U/L to be anything more than a "hobby" is fooling themselves.

See ya on the streets.....

TwoFiddyMile

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A few years after retiring I found that I still wanted to work, but on my terms. I did some consulting but found it to be drab. Then a friend suggested driving for Uber.

I started driving about 2 years ago and found it to be enjoyable and addictive. I figured out how to make it profitable and found the daily battle with Uber to be fun and challenging.

The entire "gig" concept is, at best, a nice side income. Those that expect to carve out a full time living with a gig job are fooling themselves.
Anyone that expects U/L to be anything more than a "hobby" is fooling themselves.

See ya on the streets.....
I found it exciting and enjoyable when I was clearing in excess of $75,000.

Last edited by a moderator:

UBERPROcolorado

I found it exciting and enjoyable when I was clearing in excess of $75,000.
I was netting more when I started with Uber too. I was not happy with the loss..... But I took it in stride and re-worked my game.

As for being a sofa jockey....I have over 8000 trips with the majority of my trips at night, Uber Ski and mountain trips. I maintain a 4.98 and am a "rider preferred"driver. So I have little time to sit on the sofa.

I figured out that tips are the key. Don't rush a trip. If the rider needs to stop at 7-11 or drop by the weed shop....lets go! Great service turns into a great tip. A trip a few weeks ago to Vail paid $130. Not worth the miles and time considering I had to dead-head back. So I had to make the riders want to dig deep on the old wallet. Tip = $140 cash and lunch with the riders. Now the trip was well worth it.

In addition, Uber is giving Denver about $200 a week in free money. Just drive as normal and the Qwest pays off.

It is all in the way you deal with the riders. Make them thrilled and the money comes.

Have a great/safe day!