• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Since when is For Hire driving a hobby?

TwoFiddyMile

Stamp collecting. Needlepoint. Spelinunking.
THESE are all hobbies.
Recently, I've been reading through these threads and several young Uberites stated unequivocally "I consider Uber a hobby'.
Say WHAAAAAT?
Never have I encountered a hobby which involves destroying ones car in order to supply wealth for the worlds biggest pre-IPO startup.
Is it just me, or have we failed with an entire generation?

supernaut

THESE are all hobbies.
Recently, I've been reading through these threads and several young Uberites stated unequivocally "I consider Uber a hobby'.
Say WHAAAAAT?
Never have I encountered a hobby which involves destroying ones car in order to supply wealth for the worlds biggest pre-IPO startup.
At least one, and some might argue two. The "millenials" are an unmitigated disaster of a generation, though.

Chef Aarron

THESE are all hobbies.
Say WHAAAAAT?
So says the buggy whip salesman....

Chef Aarron

Those who consider driving around drunks and entitled cheapskates a hobby are clearly very sick in the head and need professional help pronto.
What about those who consider driving around drunks and entitled cheapskates a "profession"? LOL! You guys need to get over yourselves. You do a job that does not require any skill beyond what most 16 year olds posess and the knowledge of a first year business major at a community college. Sadly, many drivers do not posess this minimum, but that doesn't make you anything special!

Chef Aarron

THESE are all hobbies.
Say WHAAAAAT?
Just curious, were you going for spelling or spelunking? Either way, you failed, but at least if you were going for spelling, there's a delightful irony.

SEAL Team 5

THESE are all hobbies.
Say WHAAAAAT?
Well Uber X is a hobby, real " fare for hire" is a profession. My company of almost 15 years in the livery service is solid proof of that.
When the number 1 cause of death in America involves an automobile, it's hard to compare the "fare for hire" industry to bird watching.
And yes, we have failed with more then just one generation. Just look at how much our world rankings in mathematics and science have fallen in the past 20 years. Look at the obesity rate among Americans, especially our youth. Look at the increase in %'s of Americans on some type of gov't assistance in the past 20 years.
The music of our times says it clearly. "I'm just a looser baby so why don't you kill me", " I'm just a looser with no self esteem", "we don't need no education" and a million more lyrics. Thank God I'm old and my kids are all college graduates.

Craig T Nelson

Probably gonna piss some people off by saying this, but I definitely consider it a hobby, albeit a financially productive one. Then again, I only do it ~5 hours per month on average.

brb making at least $25/hour from 9p-1a on a Friday night
brb can do it as much or as little as I want
brb have no life anyway so why the hell not (no effs givin about having no life, I've already had many)
brb learn more about the city I've lived in for 20 years (and not as a foreveralone hermit) every night I drive
brb 95% of people are cool af, the other 5% are the ones who program in a destination and/or tell me where to go, I confirm I'm familiar with the address, they glue their eyes to their phone for the 5-10 minute ride
brb live in extremely safe city so no Chiraq/East Los riders or destinations
brb not some little scared dude that can't handle himself physically or socially
brb not socially inept so make single-serving friends with damn near every trip
brb get paid the Tuesday night after I drive

I'll admit that:
1) I'd go broke/insane/turn criminal if I had to do this as a f/t job
B) Yesterday I signed up for Lyft, just to try it out, enjoy a tiny signing bonus and possible tips provided via their tip option on the app, and the insta-pay per every $50 earned

Sorry if most of you don't like uber. I get it. I used to work jobs so menial they'd make uber driving seem prestigious. If I lost my day job and fell off, its nice to know I'd have uber to add at least a little wind to the sails til I found something else. But definitely wouldn't want to do it for a living and definitely understand how..cheaply uber treats it's f/t drivers. My advice would be to get a better job and/or stop driving and/or @@@@@ing about it.

Chef Aarron

..................but putting a dollar-seventy-five worth of food onto a plate that you can buy at a Wal-Mart for two dollars and change and sprinkling
twenty-seven cents worth of a thick liquid of various colours onto it and charging eighty-seven fifty for it IS a profession.

Take your own advice.

Glorified burger flipping is a SKILL? Anyone with an Intelligence Quotient of eighty can work at Icky-D's for two weeks and learn how to flip a burger.
Yeah, that's what I do. Actually, the last dinner party I cooked was a 6 course meal for 9 people. Client pays for all of the groceries. My fee for cooking, about 5 hours work all total from arrival to cleaning up and leaving the house, was $530. It was only that low because I offer a 10% referral discount. I get quite a few leads through a referral website called Thumbtack where I am currently the only personal chef in this area with nothing but 5 star reviews. 8 of them, last I looked. I've cooked for clients like the Executive Vice President of Investment Operations for Everbank, an owner of a large nationwide property management company, and a player for the New York Mets. Nice try, genius.

Chef Aarron

Right, Rocket Scientist: what you just posted was not even a "try", nice or otherwise.

If your doing multiple and repeated glorified and overpriced burger flips and fancy squirt gun squirts for high powered clients is a "skill", by your own logic, driving around those same high powered clients must be a "skill", which is in direct contradiction to the Rocket Science that you post about drivers on these boards.

Would you like to rent my crowbar to pry your virtual foot out of your cybermouth, O Summa Cum Laude Graduate of Whatever Culinary "Institute" it was? I will give you the ten-per-cent uberpeopledotnet discount, so it will cost you only five-hundred-thirty dollars.

..........or can you also flip burgers standing on one foot? There is a name for that..........................................
LOL! Yeah, being hired by a high powered client based pon reputation and talent is the same as being in the same neighborhood as one to get the ping.

DriverX

THESE are all hobbies.
Say WHAAAAAT?
LOL they are probably just too embarrassed to admit they need the money and have lowered themselves to common taxi driver status so they say its just a "hobby"

shiftydrake

Yep I completely agree with driverx I Am a cab driver and to be an ACTUAL CAB driver it does require more than driving your personal car more than a hobby and definitely more stress than most other jobs what I do is NOT a hobby this IS a skilled profession and I am very happy with my chosen skilled profession what I find hilarious are the following....... When "hobby/part timers" claim they refuse to drive more than 5 mins to pick up, or if their destination is far off they refuse, or the unlimited references of "minimum wage".......minimum wage is an hourly way to judge actual employees NOT contracted workers if the contracted amount is not acceptable either side can end agreement......and parent company sets up rules that each contractor has to follow if contractor does not follow rules...agreement is cancelled by parent company........... And something else I find funny is how everyone calculates how much $ they believe they are making..minus gas,and other expenses I don't know of any other skilled professional drivers that sit around and do that what most of us do is we calculate what gas we have to use daily then deduct that from our take each day and that is how most do....... not cost of insurance cuz we need that anyway....nor minus IRS credit for mileage....cuz that's actually a plus at end of year....maintenance I can see but not needed to be deducted daily I mean come on.....so now let's hear all the nay-sayers saying I'm wrong...or I am a troll..or whatever else is said I am sitting here on edge of my seat waiting for responses

Chef Aarron

Yep I completely agree with driverx I Am a cab driver and to be an ACTUAL CAB driver it does require more than driving your personal car more than a hobby and definitely more stress than most other jobs what I do is NOT a hobby this IS a skilled profession and I am very happy with my chosen skilled profession what I find hilarious are the following....... When "hobby/part timers" claim they refuse to drive more than 5 mins to pick up, or if their destination is far off they refuse, or the unlimited references of "minimum wage".......minimum wage is an hourly way to judge actual employees NOT contracted workers if the contracted amount is not acceptable either side can end agreement......and parent company sets up rules that each contractor has to follow if contractor does not follow rules...agreement is cancelled by parent company........... And something else I find funny is how everyone calculates how much $ they believe they are making..minus gas,and other expenses I don't know of any other skilled professional drivers that sit around and do that what most of us do is we calculate what gas we have to use daily then deduct that from our take each day and that is how most do....... not cost of insurance cuz we need that anyway....nor minus IRS credit for mileage....cuz that's actually a plus at end if year....maintenance I can see but not needed to be deducted daily I mean come on.....so now let's hear all the nay-sayers saying I'm wrong...or I am a troll..or whatever else is said I am sitting here in edge of my seat waiting for responses
I het what ypur saying and in general agree. Caculating expenses on a per mile basis works better for most Uber drivers, though, only because the amount we drive is so variable. If I consistently did roughly the same amount week to week, I would agree 100% that it makes more sense to treat expenses in more of a bulk fashion, but when I drive 10 hours one week and 50 the next and with the margins so slim with the current rates that pennies matter, it's gotta be broken down to finer detail and per mile is the simplest and most meaningful. Could just as easily be per hundred miles or whatever, but I'm sure you get my point.