• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Signing Up But Have Questions.

UberChuck

I am looking/investigating Uber as an option for me. I have been reading but wanted to ask a few questions.

OK, I'm in the Chattanooga area. I would like to know if I am driving in my home area and want to try any other areas that I find myself in. Like I often go to Atlanta, Knoxville, Nashville, Birmingham to see shows or visit. If I am going to be in one of these other areas and I want to extend my stay for the purpose of seeing if I can get Uber riders and make some coin then can I do this without any hassle?

Can Uber rider request a certain driver if they have gotten a certain driver that they liked?

Now, what are the delays between getting signed up and being able to start? Like what have recent sign ups had to wait?

I wouldn't do this without a dash-cam installed. I wouldn't want to tell people I have a dash-cam and assume I don't have to .... right?

Disgusted Driver

Rates are high in Chattanooga so I say go for it, it won't always be that way so don't make long term plans like buying a car for Uber or something. Here in Raleigh we started at about $1.60 a mile and it's .85 now.

Don't know about TN but in NC we can drive anywhere in the state. I doubt you will be able to drive out of state. You can't request a particular driver but if they happen to request a ride while you are sitting outside their house, the call goes to the nearest driver usually. No idea about the delay in signing up.
Why do you care if they know about dash cam? Put it in, if they ask tell them it's there in case of an accident or dispute for everyone's protection. Tell them it's on a one week loop or something and you never download the recordings unless there's an issue.

UberChuck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm looking at current YouTube videos. The reason I asked about the dashcam is because people on here running dashcams mention it. So it was worth asking. Most people talk about getting a phone shipped to them and others are talking about downloading an app. So which is it?

Disgusted Driver

Uber will ship you a phone and then charge you $10 a week for it. Since the phone is crippled to only run their app, it's not worth it, if you have 2 gigs of data a month on your phone that should cover it and you'll save $500 a year.

turbovator

I am looking/investigating Uber as an option for me. I have been reading but wanted to ask a few questions.

OK, I'm in the Chattanooga area. I would like to know if I am driving in my home area and want to try any other areas that I find myself in. Like I often go to Atlanta, Knoxville, Nashville, Birmingham to see shows or visit. If I am going to be in one of these other areas and I want to extend my stay for the purpose of seeing if I can get Uber riders and make some coin then can I do this without any hassle?

Can Uber rider request a certain driver if they have gotten a certain driver that they liked?

Now, what are the delays between getting signed up and being able to start? Like what have recent sign ups had to wait?

I wouldn't do this without a dash-cam installed. I wouldn't want to tell people I have a dash-cam and assume I don't have to .... right?
Don't you think your feeling you need a dash cam should be a big RED FLAG to make you think it isn't a smart decision to start with? If you feel you need more input on Uber driving, go to the complaints and quit forums found on this site and do a little pre signup reading. You might be doing yourself a big favor.

Last edited:

K-Grif

Uber will ship you a phone and then charge you $10 a week for it. Since the phone is crippled to only run their app, it's not worth it, if you have 2 gigs of data a month on your phone that should cover it and you'll save $500 a year.
I have 2GB of data and still go over most months I drive much for Uber. Still worth it to use my own phone because it's $10/gb extra, so still better than $10/week. Just sharing my 2 cents on the data needed and obviously it depends on your carrier and plan.

UberChuck

Don't you think your feeling you need a dash cam should be a big RED FLAG to make you think it isn't a smart decision to start with? If you feel you need more input on Uber driving, go to the complaints and quit forums found on this site and do a little pre signup reading. You might be doing yourself a big favor.
From the videos I have seen most people recommend a dashcam. So I am not really asking because I am thinking it is a risky job. I have been thinking for a while about getting one since my auto insurance agent mentioned a discounted percent on my coverage if I should run one. I would however think it would be a good safety option. I have seen videos where a rider threw up in a car because of being drunk and the driver was able to send the video in along with photos of the mess and he was given a cleaning allowance for having in professionally cleaned. Another driver picked up a couple whom were arguing and it turned into a bit of a fight and he was trying to keep things calm because he didn't want to lose the fair. The woman ended up trying to get out of the back seat into the passenger front seat and that's when the driver had to pull the plug on the ride and he pulled over and asked them out of his car. When they got out the woman proceeded to throw rocks at his car causing some damages and he was able to use the video to show what they were like during the drive. His bad rating they gave him was then deleted so it seems to me that you protect yourself from a lot of crap with one. I was thinking about a two way one looking out and one looking back into the car. I would go overboard though because I like this kind of stuff and may put another 2 way in to just cover everything I can cover inside and outside the car. I don't see where having one would be a wrong thing if your saying it is a wrong move. As from what I have read and seen most people barely get a blip in there data fee. Now that is coming from youtube videos. If I need more data then $10 would double my data I currently have. I would rather just keep my phone.

Anything else you have to share then I am for it.

turbovator

From the videos I have seen most people recommend a dashcam. So I am not really asking because I am thinking it is a risky job. I have been thinking for a while about getting one since my auto insurance agent mentioned a discounted percent on my coverage if I should run one. I would however think it would be a good safety option. I have seen videos where a rider threw up in a car because of being drunk and the driver was able to send the video in along with photos of the mess and he was given a cleaning allowance for having in professionally cleaned. Another driver picked up a couple whom were arguing and it turned into a bit of a fight and he was trying to keep things calm because he didn't want to lose the fair. The woman ended up trying to get out of the back seat into the passenger front seat and that's when the driver had to pull the plug on the ride and he pulled over and asked them out of his car. When they got out the woman proceeded to throw rocks at his car causing some damages and he was able to use the video to show what they were like during the drive. His bad rating they gave him was then deleted so it seems to me that you protect yourself from a lot of crap with one. I was thinking about a two way one looking out and one looking back into the car. I would go overboard though because I like this kind of stuff and may put another 2 way in to just cover everything I can cover inside and outside the car. I don't see where having one would be a wrong thing if your saying it is a wrong move. As from what I have read and seen most people barely get a blip in there data fee. Now that is coming from youtube videos. If I need more data then $10 would double my data I currently have. I would rather just keep my phone.

Anything else you have to share then I am for it.
You totally missed my point, which is not uncommon with you guys that are too drunk in the Uber coolaid to have common sense. The dash cam is not the problem. The problem is the situations and risks ( that you have just stated you saw videos from personal experiences) that a Uber driver is exposed to. The dash cam is just a tool that you find necessary because you're driving around drunks who puke in your car ,people getting rowdy and fighting in your back seat and people getting out of your car and throwing stones at it. If you don't find that problematic and don't think they pose risks to you as an Uber driver,all I can say is UBER ON my friend!

UberChuck

I intend to try it. Just wanted the most info as I went for it. Where would I go to get an idea of the current rates for Chattanooga.