• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Sigh - More Uber Theft

UberMensch2015

Drove a lot this weekend, did 25 rides in total. On Saturday afternoon get a ping at the DoubleTree. Pull up, 4 passengers get in the car. I start the ride and drive 20 feet and the girl who requested the ride screams STOP, we have one more coming, he's coming out now he just texted me. I say "I can't take five passengers you have to call an UberXL". Standard whining about other drivers letter her do it and I hold firm. They get out, I end the ride and drive away.

I know she one starred me, of course. I make a mental note that she seemed like the type that would try and get her 5.10 back from Uber. I check my statement Sunday night and lo and behold, the ride has been set to zero. I go ballistic. Not only did Uber take money out of my pocket, they didn't even notify me. This is wage theft.

I emailed Uber and got my money back but this seems to be standard practice. I don't care if Uber refunds the passengers money by just taking their word for it, that's fine if they take it out of their own pocket. But taking money out of my check without telling me is theft. I earned that money, the ride had started, the pax requested the early end, not me.

I'm legitimately thinking class action lawsuit. I have to read the partner's agreement to see if they are required to notify the IC on changes to earnings. Even if they agreement says they are, this may violate contract law. I'm not a lawyer though.

RonNewman

Last week I caught them charging me a miscellaneous fee for $10 for a device rental. I asked them why were they taking money out my check when I am not renting anything. They said yes I am and if I want to contest give them the serial number of the phone I am using. I kept telling them I use my own phone and there has to be an error. Finally, after 4 correspondence they said it was an error and they will reimburse my money on the next check.

Kmiles

Yea, I've had that happen to me on three occasions.

Pax wants to break the rules, I don't bow down, pax complains about a "bad experience," Uber zeros out the trip and I'm supposed to take the hit. Oddly, each time I disputed, Uber gave me my money back.

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
I check my statement Sunday night and lo and behold, the ride has been set to zero. I go ballistic. Not only did Uber take money out of my pocket, they didn't even notify me. This is wage theft.
Yes it is. And Uber even knows it is.

But Uber isn't going to change this methodology.

Why? Because if they did the right thing and notified the driver when the fare is changed, close to 100% of the drivers would respond and the CSRs then have to arbitrate every issue. By doing it behind drivers backs, the majority of them don't even catch when it's been done, so only a minority of these cases become an arbitration issue for CSRs. The fewer issues to arbitrate, the fewer CSRs Uber has to pay for.

It's simply a matter of it costing less to be an @@@@@@@. That is a premise of Uber's business model, and an important one at that.

UberMensch2015

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed, and there are many things Uber does that are @@@@@@@-ish in an effort to set up a system that benefits them (rate cuts, messing with guarantees acceptance rates, etc.). However, I think changing a payment amount after the fare has been posted to earnings without notifying the IC is more than just a jerk policy, its a violation of the contract and therefore a breach. Going to reach out to an attorney friend.

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
Here is the fare adjustment clause in the contract:

4.3 Fare Adjustment. Company reserves the right to: (i) adjust the Fare for a particular instance of Transportation Services (e.g., you took an inefficient route, you fail to properly end a particular instance of Transportation Services in the Driver App, technical error in the Uber Services, etc.); or (ii) cancel the Fare for a particular instance of Transportation Services (e.g., User is charged for Transportation Services that were not provided, in the event of a User complaint, fraud, etc.). Company’s decision to reduce or cancel the Fare in any such manner shall be exercised in a reasonable manner.

Unfortunately "reasonable manner" is ambiguous. While that makes it easy for Uber to operate this way, if they get sued over how they exercise this, the burden is on them is to prove it's reasonable to NOT notify the driver. That's not going to be an easy thing to prove. For example, they could attempt to prove that the cost of notifying the driver when the clause is exercised is an expensive burden, so notifying the driver is an unreasonable expectation. Unfortunately for Uber the system could be coded to automatically notify the driver when the clause is exercised, and that would be a zero cost notification. So Uber would have to prove it's unreasonable with an argument that holds water.

UberMensch2015

Agreed. And even if they could prove that notification and remediation was prohibitively expensive, a jury could find that this is a reasonable and expected cost of doing business as a "middleware" software solution connecting drivers and riders and serving as a payment processor. That is, that notifying the driver and dealing with the investigation is part and parcel of the service that they are charging 20% for.

tripAces

Drove a lot this weekend, did 25 rides in total. On Saturday afternoon get a ping at the DoubleTree. Pull up, 4 passengers get in the car. I start the ride and drive 20 feet and the girl who requested the ride screams STOP, we have one more coming, he's coming out now he just texted me. I say "I can't take five passengers you have to call an UberXL". Standard whining about other drivers letter her do it and I hold firm. They get out, I end the ride and drive away.

I know she one starred me, of course. I make a mental note that she seemed like the type that would try and get her 5.10 back from Uber. I check my statement Sunday night and lo and behold, the ride has been set to zero. I go ballistic. Not only did Uber take money out of my pocket, they didn't even notify me. This is wage theft.

I emailed Uber and got my money back but this seems to be standard practice. I don't care if Uber refunds the passengers money by just taking their word for it, that's fine if they take it out of their own pocket. But taking money out of my check without telling me is theft. I earned that money, the ride had started, the pax requested the early end, not me.

I'm legitimately thinking class action lawsuit. I have to read the partner's agreement to see if they are required to notify the IC on changes to earnings. Even if they agreement says they are, this may violate contract law. I'm not a lawyer though.
I see this as 50/50. As drivers we have to properly report any incidents like this right after it happens. That way the money issue doesn't come into play. And if it does and they reimburse then fine. It may be annoying at the time but if resolved then great. If not then further steps may be taken.
Over a month ago I had some early 20yr olds hit me up. They had 6 people. They even called me. After saying I couldn't take all of them she said come anyway. I was actually 3mins away. I got there and they took a cab that came in behind me. I canceled for $6. Even though she personally told me they got a cab. I reported in case she did try to get the $6 back.

UberMensch2015

I think you're assuming that me alerting Uber immediately when it happened would have prevented the CSR from refunding the Pax when she complained. I submit it would not. There is nothing that I could have done that would have preventing uber from refunding the Pax and taking the money out of my pocket without notifying me and that is the issue here.

RonNewman

Wow, UBER continues to take money out my check for a device I do not have. I keep telling them I did not subscribe to a device. Second week in the row. WTF

tripAces

I wonder how they think you all owe money for phone you never got. Hope you all didn't have some office jocky sign you up. I have zero confidence in them.

uberparadise

I completely see your point. It's unbelievable what we put up with as drivers. Basically they act like we should be thankful that we have this awesome opportunity to make a living. In my city we are constantly short changed on the tolls. Basically UBER is a good job at times but other times terrible. By the way I drive UBER X and was once asked if I could take 6 people!!!

UberHouston

This same thing happened to me. Yeah I got mine back too by complaining but they are just hoping we don't notice they took it out of OUR pay. I recently.just joined another independent app that said they will never take money out of my pocket and they are grossing far less than Uber at their early stage. Theft, you are right...and we are their customer too, not just riders. Without us they would have no platform they need to be reminded of this. And what an f'in waste of time for us to chase down our hard earned fares.

UberHouston

I see this as 50/50. As drivers we have to properly report any incidents like this right after it happens. That way the money issue doesn't come into play. And if it does and they reimburse then fine. It may be annoying at the time but if resolved then great. If not then further steps may be taken.
Over a month ago I had some early 20yr olds hit me up. They had 6 people. They even called me. After saying I couldn't take all of them she said come anyway. I was actually 3mins away. I got there and they took a cab that came in behind me. I canceled for $6. Even though she personally told me they got a cab. I reported in case she did try to get the $6 back.
One hand doesn't tell the other that there was an issue with the rider or explanation from the driver. I explained immediately after I had to kick someone out of my car who was beligerant. I knew she would ask for her $ back and she did, it was removed from my account even after I explained the situation and basically a "don't worry about it" from Uber. I had to resend and remind them what happened/my side and they put the money back. They are only hoping you just don't notice it's gone. Wise up UBER. Because we aren't making enough for minimum wage we DO notice when a fare has gone missing...

Pootwaddles

Uber did the same thing to me. I picked up a mean nasty person, took him to a hotel where he had a room booked. As I was making a left into the parking lot I watched him act like we were going to be hit by on coming traffic. Please Ive been driving for 36 years never had an accident, Sure enough he rated me a 0 and they refunded his money. Just wait you guys I am going to post what UBER just did to me I just need to get my facts in order before I post.

Don Oldenburg

I always decline to take more than 4 and tell them to decide or order another class of Uber. I'm not taking money out of XL's pocket. If they continue with me I use the review rating link to report in case they try to hit my rating.

http://form.jotformpro.com/form/41617699954977
Has anyone ever determined if JOTFORMPRO.COM site supposedly for rating reviews is ACTUALLY an official UBER function? I mean, EVERYTHING uber does is hosted on the uber.com domain... why the heck would they have a 3rd party "FORM" site doing this? There was some discussion that this is a scam site... has anyone confirmed??

Old Rocker

Uber did the same thing to me. I picked up a mean nasty person, took him to a hotel where he had a room booked. As I was making a left into the parking lot I watched him act like we were going to be hit by on coming traffic. Please Ive been driving for 36 years never had an accident, Sure enough he rated me a 0 and they refunded his money. Just wait you guys I am going to post what UBER just did to me I just need to get my facts in order before I post.
How do you know he rated you a zero? Can a pax even give a driver a zero?