• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Sidecar Puts Passengers Aside, Pivots To A Mostly-Deliveries Company

leroy jenkins

lol, "deliveries" means 95% food. You ain't deliver amazon packages (i've seen what look like driving dudes at 7-11 with amazon shirts). if you're in a city you gotta look for parking twice, at pickup - at dropoff. Wait twice.

25% commission once promo period ends. SOL for tickets.

Dunno if you gotta pay for your own thermal bags. Good luck keeping your food warm in the winter without one or just put it in the pax compartment and have your car smell like Tex-Mex and red curry.

there's a reason why nearly every time you order delivery in a city it's someone who's probably getting paid at/below minimum wage on a bike or driving a beater car. Peeps are cheap. They ain't paying more than $5 for delivery, no matter what the sustainable/living wage price is.

Chicago-uber

I signed up to do deliveries, but I have yet to do one. Maybe because I hardly drive anymore. I kept my sidecar app on this weekend and today morning. 0 deliveries and 3 riders.. I keep my settings at the max with the short pickup radius.

Oh My

They're not going to compete with the likes of GrubHub and their workers in 1989 Honda Civics and the only reason they do it is for the CASH tips. Yours will be tracked (if you get any).

DriverG

Seems like they are competing ok to me. I always see a lot of sidecar divers among Cavilar and instacart drivers out doing food pick ups. I really don't see grubhub around much. So i guess it just depends on where you are at. But to say they can't complete is funny when it seems that they are doing just that.

Oh My

Seems like they are competing ok to me. I always see a lot of sidecar divers among Cavilar and instacart drivers out doing food pick ups. I really don't see grubhub around much. So i guess it just depends on where you are at. But to say they can't complete is funny when it seems that they are doing just that.
3 SideCar rides in a 7 hour period yesterday. No deliveries. None. If I told you what major city I was in you'd flip. Sorry but they are absolutely through. Great concept but now obviously the word is out that they don't even give rides anymore.

Oh My

I signed up to do deliveries, but I have yet to do one. Maybe because I hardly drive anymore. I kept my sidecar app on this weekend and today morning. 0 deliveries and 3 riders.. I keep my settings at the max with the short pickup radius.
Just went to check my competition on the SC rider app. Keep getting "failed to connect to server" error message but driver app works fine. Maybe they just went out of business.

DriverG

3 SideCar rides in a 7 hour period yesterday. No deliveries. None. If I told you what major city I was in you'd flip. Sorry but they are absolutely through. Great concept but now obviously the word is out that they don't even give rides anymore.
Ummm I am in the S.F area and while there a little slow at times with rides. They still seem to be kicking and hanging in there. Maybe your area is different.

DriverG

Just went to check my competition on the SC rider app. Keep getting "failed to connect to server" error message but driver app works fine. Maybe they just went out of business.
Just checked my rider app and everything seems to be working. Maybe it was a glitch at the time when you checked. It happens I suppose.

Oh My

One ride in a 4 hour period in Chicago last night. One. No deliveries. None.

My multiplier is set to match Uber's base rate and p/u radius at 2 miles (which is a large area in the city). I noticed the other drivers obviously have their multiplier at the max and if they get a rider it's a bonus.

Just going to delete the app. They're through, here anyway.

Oh My

Basically SC told me they haven't even "launched" deliveries in Chicago and "hope to expand our delivery service very soon".

Was just hoping to make a few $$ before the moving truck arrives and on that note, I'm deleting the app and expediting my move out of $hitcago.

Was just hoping to make a few $$ before the moving truck arrives and on that note, I'm deleting the app and expediting my move out of $hitcago.
@@@@@ please!? Now who am I going to get my Uber/Lyft/SC snark from? Good luck. I hope you're headed somewhere with more decent people than Chicago. Though that wouldn't be terribly hard. I moved here from San Diego thinking the people there were rude and self-centered. After being in Chicago for three years (actually realized it almost immediately) I now know that San Diegans are actually rather friendly and Chicago is the land of @@@@@@s and @@@@@@@@. Maybe it's time to check out somewhere else...I heard Asheville, North Carolina is nice.

Oh My

@@@@@ please!? Now who am I going to get my Uber/Lyft/SC snark from? Good luck. I hope you're headed somewhere with more decent people than Chicago. Though that wouldn't be terribly hard. I moved here from San Diego thinking the people there were rude and self-centered. After being in Chicago for three years (actually realized it almost immediately) I now know that San Diegans are actually rather friendly and Chicago is the land of @@@@@@s and @@@@@@@@. Maybe it's time to check out somewhere else...I heard Asheville, North Carolina is nice.
You hit the nail on the head. Surprisingly, the ONLY true friends and [email protected]@@@@@@@ I've encountered here in a decade (yes, 10 YEARS) are a married couple and they were both born, raised and have lived in this city proper their entire lives - mid 40s. Obviously any large city is transient in nature but these people that have "arrived" from Iowa or even the sticks of my own home state (they'll tell you they're from a major urban area but you'll discover they're actually from a farm in Hickville County 30 miles from the nearest McDonalds)......that think they know everything about everything after emerging from their parents basement straight to the big city, I've never connected with. Lord knows I tried though.

Not sure if you're aware of the origin of the word Chicago but it translates to "onion swamp". Yes, this city was built on an onion swamp! It stinks and every place I've lived here has had a moldy wet foundation or basement. It's bad land. Through FaceBooking I noticed a prior neighbor I grew up near in Metro Detroit, and had lived in San Diego for 20 years, recently arrived here. He seems very, very happy and has promptly made some (very bad) connections. Wait 'til he gets a true whiff of the shit here.

Hey, alot of stuff to do here for free if you wanna just people watch, walk around or see something like the air show. This year one of the Navy Seal parachutists misjudged, hit the building at 1400 N. Lake Shore Drive and......died. $hitcago is a true shitshow. And don't get me started on the violent crime here.....

Last edited:

Zonie

I delivered pizza for 3 years in the same little mitsubishi mighty max truck and the pies always rode on the passenger seat in a padded pouch. My truck didn't smell. I had cloth seats. Now Curry, that could be different.

These food delivery companies used to come to the pizza place and offer their services for like $8 (in 1989) and they just couldn't understand that people will not pay $8 plus tip for a $7 pizza that had free delivery.

We got paid 6% plus $4.50 per hour and tips we didn't report due to being regular minimum wage employees.

I cleared enough in commissions alone to pay for the truck, insurance, and gas. My college company car. LOL.

I averaged $12 per hour doing that. I quit to go work in my field when I graduated... for $6. Glad I did, made a great career out of it and started making real money by the time I was 23.

Oh My

I delivered pizza for 3 years in the same little mitsubishi mighty max truck and the pies always rode on the passenger seat in a padded pouch. My truck didn't smell. I had cloth seats. Now Curry, that could be different.

These food delivery companies used to come to the pizza place and offer their services for like $8 (in 1989) and they just couldn't understand that people will not pay $8 plus tip for a $7 pizza that had free delivery.

We got paid 6% plus $4.50 per hour and tips we didn't report due to being regular minimum wage employees.

I cleared enough in commissions alone to pay for the truck, insurance, and gas. My college company car. LOL.

I averaged $12 per hour doing that. I quit to go work in my field when I graduated... for $6. Glad I did, made a great career out of it and started making real money by the time I was 23.
It's unfortunate but that was then, this is now.

You used to work your way through college (i.e. pay for it yourself), get a real job in your "field", buy a starter house, gain some equity, work your way up the ladder, move on up to a real house, get offered a management position because of your expertise, experience and contacts for double the salary at a competitor by a "recruiter" following your every move (LinkedIn wasn't even a pipe dream then).

We have "diversity" in the workplace now.

Oh My

Well I am still waiting for my Sidecar application to be approved after about 1 1/2 months so... I guess I might be waiting in vain, according to this. Guess they don't want to pay a sign-up bonus for drivers they no longer need.
I think it was about a month for my application to be approved with SideCar. As a reviewer on Google Play Store mentioned, "I'm starting to believe they're just stealing peoples personal data". I was thinking the same thing before reading those reviews..........then the phone rang.

"Thor" (sp?) was totally confused about my Illinois license with the 4 year extension sticker on the back (awarded for convenience so people with exemplary driving records don't have to physically visit the DMV to renew their license). This totally threw him for a loop. He asked if this had something to do with the military and he would need a copy of my military i.d. Days later I received another email requesting my military i.d. and advised them that I was NEVER in the military, cancel my application and shred my personal information as "It's obvious SideCar doesn't need any drivers in Chicago".

The next DAY I received a call from a Trixie welcoming me to SideCar. She asked me if I was willing to do deliveries too. On a whim I said, "sure". That was MONTHS ago.

They are still, to this day, trying to drum up delivery business here. And don't have any.

Delete the app!

Last edited: