Side job

mattyrock

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had a poor guy pick me up in a Corolla. Typical ant. My ride from New Rochelle to LGA for an Uber X was $30!! Was surprised he took us. I immediately gave him a $20 cash tip

Roadmasta

Nice that you tipped heavily. I actually had to go to queens last week I set the destination filter for LGA. I got a ping within 15 minutes. Pelham to LGA. $23.75 included $5 tip (garbage) I was happy to get gas and tolls. If I ever encounter a ride going to LGA JFK or anything South of the Bronx, they will get some excuse and I will cancel. Have a nice trip Mattyrock.

mattyrock

I never even go deep into the Bronx anymore and never take rides going to LGA or JFK. It's a losing proposition

Roadmasta

I usually stay in New Rochelle mostly just Saturday night. 1.7 surge or more always get a Bronx or Mount Vernon at least once a week. I usually one star them so I don't get repeats. $500 a month on a tank of gas.

mattyrock

I haven't driven in months. I just got a new SUV and only do destination calls. I can't take the chance since I live so close to the Bronx (New Rochelle) that calls are going into non coverage areas.

Roadmasta

I wouldn't drive with a new car for fuber. My wife got a new car so I took her old Corolla over 2008 with 103,000 miles. They offered her $1,500 trade in. I took it and made that back+ since mid January. This is a part time gig preferably with a beater.

mattyrock

I work alot in Queens and the Bronx for my real job and only do destination rides but the filter sucks. Last week I put LGA as a filter since I was working in Astoria so a destination from elm St took me to broadway in the Bronx with traffic. Sucked

Seamus

I'm sure you guys think I'm crazy but I take airport runs all the time.

1). I work my regular job during the day so I never go during rush hour.
2). Most are glad to give a $20 cash tip because they know many drivers won't take them.
3). From Northern Westchester I usually get approx $46 + tip
4). After dropping off go right to Nassau County
5). Set a DF to Manhattan and pretty quickly get a ride usually
6). Exit Manhattan over the east side for no toll
7). No rush hour = back in Westchester in 15 minutes
7). Between drive and tips usually end up between $80 to $90 for approx 2 hours time, no out of pocket tolls, minimum dead miles.

I don't see how that is so bad. Totally different story during rush hour, rush hour would be a "no go" for me. Been doing it for almost 2 years now. The key is not dead mile back and paying tolls. Its not 100% fool proof but usually works out.

Roadmasta

Northern Westchester to LGA to Nassau to Manhattan back to Westchester in two hours? Are you flying a helicopter?
Post automatically merged:

55924125_2088891077812897_4557334289628266496_o.jpg

Last edited:

ibeam23

I'm sure you guys think I'm crazy but I take airport runs all the time.

2). Most are glad to give a $20 cash tip because they know many drivers won't take them.
I used to do northern Westchester to LGA if before 6am. Uber pax would promise a “big tip” then not follow through. Started asking for the tip up front and most just cancel. (I don’t drive liars) Lyft pax may tip $5. Couple of times got $20 cash but started getting burned so changed strategy about a year ago. All NYC trips no matter when are an immediate NO for me these days.

Seamus

I used to do northern Westchester to LGA if before 6am. Uber pax would promise a “big tip” then not follow through. Started asking for the tip up front and most just cancel. (I don’t drive liars) Lyft pax may tip $5. Couple of times got $20 cash but started getting burned so changed strategy about a year ago. All NYC trips no matter when are an immediate NO for me these days.
No doubt the tip is a big part of it. I guess I've been lucky so far.

Northern Westchester to LGA to Nassau to Manhattan back to Westchester in two hours? Are you flying a helicopter?

View attachment 309234

LOL, the key is during nights there is next to no traffic! might be a little over 2 hours but close.

NW to JFK 1 hour 10 minutes no traffic
JFK to LI 15 minutes
LI to Manhattan 30 minutes
Manhattan to Yonkers 15 minutes

Again, with lite traffic. Even if its 2 1/2 or even if you think its three hours still not bad for 80-90 dollars in Uberville money.

If it were heavy traffic times then forget it! would be 4-6 hours and a loser.

Last edited:

Seamus

Pull up a screen shot of two trips if you would be so kind. I find this hard to believe. Thanks
What part is hard to believe?

If I cared enough wether you believed me or not I would go back through my rides over the last few weeks and post. Sorry, no offense but you believing me is not worth the effort. On the next one I do I will post for you. That requires a lot less effort! LOL

Seamus

I once did Mahwah NJ to JFK in 53 minutes... Super Bowl Sunday morning, 4am. Even with the tip it wasn't worth it.
And that is the beauty of being an IC. If it doesn't work for you then by all means don't do it. I'm not trying to convince anyone its good for them. I'm just saying there is a way to make it work out. It's not going to work out 100% of the time.