1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Side gig for an economist in Boston

Discussion in 'People' started by UberEconomist, Feb 12, 2018.

1. UberEconomist

UberEconomist New Member

Hello all, I am a full time economist that works out of a home office in the Boston area. About 6 months ago I left my large company for a smaller consulting firm as an independent consultant. The work is actually pretty good and I travel a lot, but I also have a lot of free time while my wife is at the office. I decided to start driving to contribute a bit more to my family and, to be honest, out of curiosity.

So far I've done 26 rides in the Boston area, some Sat night, some Sun brunch time and some earlier today. I have a pretty nice car (2017 Jeep Cherokee, dark grey with tan leather interior), not the most efficient vehicle for uber. I've received one $1 tip in the app. I have also only received 4 ratings (all 5 star).

I look forward to getting a bit more savvy and trying out different platforms. If anyone has a question about any sorts of calculations I would be happy to try to help as I am pretty good with a spreadsheet.

Cheers.

SibeRescueBrian likes this.
  2. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

If you were really good with calculations you would have already figured out that you're losing money driving that thing for Uber.

3. UberEconomist

UberEconomist New Member

I dont think so, but its not a great return. I'll let you know when I have more data.

4. Saltyoldman

Saltyoldman Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Keep us posted

5. Ribak

Ribak Well-Known Member

Pretty cool car for UBERing. Best of luck to you in Boston.

6. 1974toyota

1974toyota Well-Known Member

So your driving a 2017 Jeep Cherokee for Uber? Hmmm, Ok, your a Economist? OK got a $1 tip? ok, I'd wish you a lot of luck, but you seem like you have it all under control, OK, Happy Ubering,jmo

7. Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Bro, by my 25th ride I already had $14 pesos in tips.

The trick is to just play talk radio and when the rider gets in, give them the basic greeting of the day, ask them how they are doing (mainly to get a feel if they're going to be a pain or not) and then give them the silent treatment the rest of the ride.

Also, for the morning coffee drinkers, hit some pot holes so they know you aren't messing around.

I keep the cab of my Uber at a cool 68 degrees. Lastly, wipe your seats down with Lysol wipes (have those on hand at all times) and check the backseat for lost items, etc after every ride.

Lots of luck to you, new Uber bro.

8. htboston

htboston Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    lol you guys are meanies

Hans GrUber likes this.