Sick of my car (uncomfortable seat). What car should in get?

nash801

All money I'm earning is lost on my switching out cars (had volt- too low for rear psgrs. Had prius- too low for front psgrs. Have cmax- driver seat too hard. Car too bouncy on sf bumps, brakes sqeak on sf stop signs, doors lock every stop.).
I'm sure any car will be uncomfortable if drive too much.
Afraid to have sedan- too long to maneuver and dislike trunks for suitcases.
Thinking of honda fit but don't want to be so close to the psgrs.
Maybe will quit but then I'll still owe $20k on car loan (even if sell C-Max for $20)

manuella

Get a Lexus ! best seats in the industry :smiles: plus select rides do make a difference.

Otherwise nothing beats those Ford Fusion things , the platinum one is amazing ! but no select

SFDriverJack

WTF?

Since a good plurality of uber drivers in SF are driving Prius, that's a tough claim to make.
Not all the Prius models are the same. Also, he could just be super tall for all we know.

I tried a Prius 3 and the sitting in the backseat meant that my head touched the ceiling (which I really didn't like).

The Prius 5 was big enough in the backseat, plus it has good trunk space which is important for airport runs, but it's also the most expensive Prius model, and its mileage of ~40 MPG is not as good as the other smaller Prius models which I believe get ~50 MPG.

If one is willing to compromise on 40 MPG for a larger car. Then, one might as well consider a good Toyota Corolla which gets ~30 MPG and which is way cheaper than a Prius 5.
Did you really buy and sell three cars in rapid succession? That's insanity.
A good dealer should be able to accommodate those kinds of "loaner" requests.

Although, he'd need to try out the cars with his friends as passengers, not real paying passengers, since he'd need a new inspection every time he changed cars.

Last edited:

SFDriverJack

Car too bouncy on sf bumps, brakes sqeak on sf stop signs, doors lock every stop.).
I am not sure I understand.

My Toyota Corolla also locks the doors every time I put it in drive, but it also unlocks all the doors when I put it in Parking.

My Toyota Corolla 2016 also squeaks on almost every stop.

Gibman73

I think most hard use cars, that's us, in SF squeak, a lot of it has to do with the effect all of the hills have on the sealed brake fluid system. I don't have great advice for seat comfort, other than from only what I've read, that one you don't want is the Honda Insight.

Euius

Not all the Prius models are the same. Also, he could just be super tall for all we know.
I'm 6'3". He certainly could be taller, but it's far outside the average to be so.

I tried a Prius 3 and the sitting in the backseat meant that my head touched the ceiling (which I really didn't like).

The Prius 5 was big enough in the backseat, plus it has good trunk space which is important for airport runs, but it's also the most expensive Prius model, and its mileage of ~40 MPG is not as good as the other smaller Prius models which I believe get ~50 MPG.
You must mean a Prius V

The only difference between 2, 3, 4, and 5 is luxury and safety features. They are for all intents the same car. They most definitely have the same body frame and the same passenger and hatchback space. The MPG is also the same across the board for all four models.

http://news.millertoyota.com/prius-two-vs-three-vs-four-vs-five-vs-persona-series-comparing-trims/

The Prius V (which is not a roman numeral for 5) is a larger car, and does get inferior gas mileage. It also has configurations referred to as 2, 3, 4, and 5. So you could purchase a Prius V 5, which is not the same as a Prius 5

The Prius C (which is not a roman numeral for 100) is a smaller car, but it doesn't have a number. It also gets inferior gas mileage to the standard model.

Real life, my gas mileage rarely gets above 44, and occasionally doesn't hit quite 40. The posted MPG come with the caveat that the driver must adjust their driving, in order to take advantage of the battery more. As it translates roughly into "drive slower", it's not something I intend to do.

RedoBeach

...with the caveat that the driver must adjust their driving, in order to take advantage of the battery more. As it translates roughly into "drive slower", it's not something I intend to do.
The Larry David's of driving!

RedoBeach

I think most hard use cars, that's us, in SF squeak, a lot of it has to do with the effect all of the hills have on the sealed brake fluid system. I don't have great advice for seat comfort, other than from only what I've read, that one you don't want is the Honda Insight.

CrazyT

I'm 6'3". He certainly could be taller, but it's far outside the average to be so.

You must mean a Prius V

The only difference between 2, 3, 4, and 5 is luxury and safety features. They are for all intents the same car. They most definitely have the same body frame and the same passenger and hatchback space. The MPG is also the same across the board for all four models.

http://news.millertoyota.com/prius-two-vs-three-vs-four-vs-five-vs-persona-series-comparing-trims/

The Prius V (which is not a roman numeral for 5) is a larger car, and does get inferior gas mileage. It also has configurations referred to as 2, 3, 4, and 5. So you could purchase a Prius V 5, which is not the same as a Prius 5

The Prius C (which is not a roman numeral for 100) is a smaller car, but it doesn't have a number. It also gets inferior gas mileage to the standard model.

Real life, my gas mileage rarely gets above 44, and occasionally doesn't hit quite 40. The posted MPG come with the caveat that the driver must adjust their driving, in order to take advantage of the battery more. As it translates roughly into "drive slower", it's not something I intend to do.
I have a Prius C with the option package 2. I find the interior to be nearly equal to a Camry, but the trunk space is a good deal smaller. I also find the interior quite comfortable and have passengers comment how nice it is, and how they were shocked there is so much room inside. That being said I am barely 5 ft 1 in tall so the front seat is like one click off from being fully forward. The passenger seat I tend to push the whole way forward and only adjust it if someone absolutely insists on sitting up front. My MPG is consistently 50-60 mpg, being around 52 on long runs on the highway, and over 60 going downtown runs with tourists.

I found the Prius V to have decent passenger and cargo room, but just liked the C better for handling. The standard size Prius was ok, but I felt the interior they way it wrapped around me might get a little confining on long days. Of course even in the "little" Prius, I picked up a couple of passengers with a lot of luggage. We ended up with the woman in the front seat, her fiance in the seat behind her, the seat behind the driver folded down, and fit 4 large suitcases, 2 carry-ons and garment bags in there comfortably for a run from Baltimore, MD to Reagan National Airport.

Your results may vary. As I said, I'm 5 ft 1. My husband gets in the passenger seat and even the whole way back he's practically folding himself in the car. He just likes me driving us out because I get better gas milage than his Ford Escape.