• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Shuffle or not?

Did MadTown shuffle?

• Hard shuffle

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Soft shuffle / rider no show

Votes: 56 60.2%
  • Completely unjustified / MadTown sucks

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Huh? (Forrest Gump)

Votes: 9 9.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
This morning I got a ping to a local hotel situated in the corner of where an interstate meets a highway. The address was accurate but the pin was placed, unfortunately, on the shoulder of the ramp that allows a motorist to turn from the highway to the interstate.

Being the good-natured driver that I am, I realized the pax's error and headed towards the hotel. I pulled into the carport and looked inside the lobby. No one was making any moves except a couple of guys who came out and got into a pickup truck. At that point I realized I wasn't close enough to the pin to start the cancel fee timer.

I waited another minute and then pulled around back. I got out of the car with my phone and took a nice little walk through the parking lot and that of the property next door. I still could not get close enough to the pin to start the timer. I wasn't getting paid for my time.

So I got back into the car and made a complete circle of the hotel building. Again I pulled into the car port and looked into the lobby. Again I saw no one who seemed interested in transportation. At this point more than 5 minutes had elapsed since I first pulled into the carport. Of course, since I hadn't arrived at the pin, the rider did not receive a "your driver has arrived" notification. I made no effort to contact the rider because at this point I was fairly frustrated.

I left the hotel and got back onto the highway. I took the ramp to the interstate and slowed way down as I approached the pin. I put my flashers on and pulled over onto the shoulder. I crept along to the pin and smelled the aroma of freshly hacked weeds as my car smacked into them. I came to a full stop when I saw the countdown start.

Like an idiot I sat there on the shoulder of a highway ramp. Approximately four cars whizzed past me. At four minutes, I got a message from the rider "I am holding up a red light on my phone (automated message)" but to no avail -- I had made my decision. At this point, there was no way I would circle back around to the hotel...I would have had to proceed down the interstate for several miles and turned around.

A few seconds after the timer hit 5:00 I hit Cancel - Rider Not Here. Sweet justice! I had gotten paid almost $10 (it was a long pickup) and the rider had been educated on proper pin placement.

What do y'all think? Was this a "shuffle", justified, or completely despicable?

doyousensehumor

#paxeducationfee

I have done the same thing, but i expedite it. Quick search for toes on curb, then back to pin.

I had a ping very similar to yours... it was Home Depot but the pin was a couple businesses over. Home Depot was closed. I pulled through HD, saw no one, and just went back to the pin

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But can I call this an actual shuffle? I made *some* effort to avail my services to the lethargic pax.

losiglow

Absolutely justified, and that's coming from someone who almost never shuffles. if a pax is so stupid that they can't even place a pin, or take a brief moment to put in an address instead of the stupid "use my location" feature, which has about a 50% success rate, they deserve the added cost.

I find that even if the pax isn't in the exact location, that it's pretty intuitive to find them. But I'm really getting fed up. This weekend, a pax put in a location for a bar. I arrived at the bar and waited, I texted at about 3 minutes. 5 minutes went by and I cancelled. I pulled out. Two bars up, less than 100 yards away, a guy runs out and asked my name. It was the pax. He put in the wrong address and didn't answer the text. Sorry bro, I try to be understanding but if the level of stupid is too darn high, then a fool and his money are soon parted.

SinTaxERROR

If in the future you cannot get close enough to pin to start trip, wait the 2min/5mins and then start trip and immediately end it. The trip cancellation list will pop up (rider no show, no car seat, too many pax, etc). You will get paid cancel fee as long as you waited appropriate amount of time. It may ask you to rate rider after ending, but I do not believe it will be calculated due to trip cancel.

ABQuber

At that point I realized I wasn't close enough to the pin to start the cancel fee timer.

I left the hotel and got back onto the highway. I took the ramp to the interstate and slowed way down as I approached the pin. I put my flashers on and pulled over onto the shoulder. I crept along to the pin and smelled the aroma of freshly hacked weeds as my car smacked into them. I came to a full stop when I saw the countdown start.

Like an idiot I sat there on the shoulder of a highway ramp. Approximately four cars whizzed past me.
This what they have us reduced to haha. Pretty sure everyone has done the “pin creep” at least once in their U/L career. I once thought about driving through a field of prairie dog holes to get to one.

But yeah, justified shuffle even.

losiglow

This is purely stealing- you could have called the rider from the hotel- you also could have informed him/her of the issue but you went on all the drama to steal $10- sad really
Ok, I'll agree that this is what Jesus might do. However, the pax can always see where the driver is. The pax could have easily seen that he was wandering around in circles around the hotel. When I'm a pax, I keep an eye on the app every 30 seconds or so to make sure that I'm OUT ON THE CURB when they arrive. I don't dick around in the hotel, keep talking to friends or decide to finally grab my stuff AFTER the driver arrives.

Uberbuddy123

Ok, I'll agree that this is what Jesus might do. However, the pax can always see where the driver is. The pax could have easily seen that he was wandering around in circles around the hotel. When I'm a pax, I keep an eye on the app every 30 seconds or so to make sure that I'm OUT ON THE CURB when they arrive. I don't dick around in the hotel, keep talking to friends or decide to finally grab my stuff AFTER the driver arrives.
He stole money - he should refund the passenger// Doing the moral thing is tough and if you are to take the easy route then we will have a thief