• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Show of hands....who's striking from the forum on Wednesday?

Steven V

Not on strike...............But not working that day for other reasons.
Just a question, how many drivers are in Pitt. that don't read this message board and know nothing about a strike? Will this strike even make a dent in the amount of drivers staying off the road?
I don't think so, but good luck with that.

MasterKNinja

Anybody have any idea or guesses how many drivers will be striking in the Pittsburgh area?
Not very many. I’d previously guesstimated there could be 7,500-10,000 drivers in the Greater Pgh region (from full time to having a Driver account but not actively giving rides). Only maybe a couple hundred read this forum & there’s no organization behind the strike beyond some press releases. Just a matter if any driver hears about it via the news media & feels some solidarity, which I’m sure most who’ve done this gig for a while & have experienced multiple pay cuts do (either from Uber cutting rates 5 times since I started, to over-recruiting drivers and thus oversaturating the market resulting in less pay).

WAHN

Oh well, didn't get out the door by 5:00 AM like I wanted, so I guess I'm on strike/protesting.

Maybe I'll be GH's and DD's b*^ch today. ?

Too new at this too remember the good old days, but U/L are really no different than the vast majority of huge corporations. They will all pay as little as they can get away with.

Steven V

Airport at 70+ drivers and no surge downtown. Is this strike today? You guys are showing Uber who's boss around here:biggrin::biggrin:!!

I_Like_Spam

The strike is being reported on KDKA and other major news media as well as financial networks like CNBC due to the just complete LYFT IPO and the upcoming Uber offering

MasterKNinja

I’d consider it a success if Uber looked at their numbers & saw revenue down 5-10% for the day, arrival times 5-10% higher & ‘no cars available’ 5-10% higher. It’ll let them know what’s up going forward. It got the attention of politicians who can help push legislation which is better terms for drivers & maybe it made some retail investors a bit hesitant to hit ‘buy’ on their stock today. I wouldn’t read a lot into an initial down turn in price. I think Facebook was down like 12% on their IPO & has since gone up 5x. It all comes down to how Uber delivers as a public company. Nice taking Wed. off. Gave a few rides last night & there’s one thing for certain: people love their dirt cheap min. fare, no tip rides & that’s definitely not changing anytime soon no matter how many I down rate haha.

Last edited:

300Miles

Agreed. I would add that markets are unforgiving, dispassionate vehicles of wealth creation and destruction. I suspect more accountability will come out of this float than has ever been seen from the regulators.

I've sunk a lot of money into companies, and in particular drug companies, and I am always amazed at how quickly they can get sued at the drop of a hat, when one of their drugs fail a trial.

The disclosure attachment to the prospectus put out by Morgan Stanley last night was a truly remarkable mea culpa, pointing to a multitude of sins. It may have scared off retail investors today.

tryingforthat5star

I didn't go out driving on Wed stood with the strikers even though there wasn't any sort of organization efforts in Pittsburgh. I did glance at the app and seen like many saw 70 plus drivers at the airport lol. def not hurting Uber in this city.