Shouldn't contractors "drivers" legally know what the job pays before hand?

Umdriving

Do we have any drivers who play a lawyer on TV? Lol.

If we are contractors, shouldnt we have the same rights as any other contractor/employee?

We should have details of where they are going, and the price of the trip.

Does anyone know of any littigation or effort to get something like this done?

but they can be, i worked in another industry all my life that "freelancers" had to be in the union.
We are "freelancers" and our regular client is Uber
In my old union, if you worked enough days you got benefits. if you got problems with management (threats or harassment, sound familar to uber???))) the union would rep you before the company could take action.

WAGES too, a union could force uber to increase the fares. ....and fix the percentage they take fromm our fares. Did anybody ever look? Uber takes what they want and there's no rationale.
this whole situation is insane, out of control....yea i do it out of desparation cuz its relatively easy couple of bucks, but im n9t repairing my car like i should, eventually i won't have a car...so.......if i did the fixes i'd be making 0 dollars like everybody else.

Last edited:

SuffolkDriver

but they can be, i worked in another industry all my life that "freelancers" had to be in the union.
We are "freelancers" and our regular client is union.
In my old union, if you worked enough days you got benefits. if you got problems with management (threats or harassment, sound familar to uber???))) the union would rep you before the company could take action.

WAGES too, a union could force uber to increase the fares. .....
this whole situation is insane, out of control....yea i do it out of desparation cuz its relatively easy couple of bucks, but im n9t repairing my car like i should, eventually i won't have a car...so.......if i did the fixes i'd be making 0 dollars like everybody else.
Look, I am a believer in unions and part of one. No, a union could not force uber to increase fares. Unions can only try to negotiate higher wages for its members, they can not force any employer to pay higher wages. The only thing a union can do is file a grievance if someone is being paid less than what is agreed to in the CBA and it goes before an independentent arbitrator And to do that there has to first be a collective bargaining agreement in place. It is beyond a remote chance that of it ever happening.

I know this is going to piss alot of people off, but the bottom line is no-one is forced to driver for uber/lyft. If you trying to do this to make a living, or a part time job to help meet expenses, then you beyond naive. The most effective thing drivers could do to improve wages, is to refuse to accept requests unless there is a surge, especially on the weekends. As long as uber has thoudands of people willing to drive aimlessly with the app on and pick up every little ping, nothing will change. Okay, ready for the virtual daggers to be thrown....

osii

we're not contractors, we are employees. there is no contract. there is only a TOS and a waiver of rights. anyone who believes otherwise is an idiot.

your completely wrong, unions negotiate wages, conditions and benefits, staff and freelance. we would be freelance drivers.
its happenning already in seattle.
read this article, yes they could force uber to raise fares absolutely 100 percent

uber is spending millions in propoganda to prevent it.

https://qz.com/927777/the-teamsters-have-finally-begun-to-organize-uber-drivers-in-seattle/

I agree with the 2nd part of your idea of not accepting every single ping, but again its about organization, without a union coordinating and organzing i think its gonna be tough to get drivers to "act in unity" to walkout, blackout, and give some zings back to uber.
i myself when i have a min and gonna contact teamsters and begin poking around on this.

Looks like this would be the guy to contact, or office to contact for teamsters organzing national dept.
Organizing
Office of the General President

The Organizing Department coordinates the organizing activities of Teamsters throughout the country. The department is available to assist local unions, joint councils, and trade divisions and trade conferences in establishing organizing programs, supporting local campaigns, developing budgets, recruiting and training volunteers, and providing materials.

The Organizing Department also helps to coordinate industry-wide and company-wide organizing efforts, participates in joint organizing campaigns with other unions, and assists in mergers and affiliations.

Jeff Farmer, Director
Phone (202) 624-8718
Fax (202) 624-6832

SuffolkDriver

your completely wrong, unions negotiate wages, conditions and benefits, staff and freelance. we would be freelance drivers.
its happenning already in seattle.
read this article, yes they could force uber to raise fares absolutely 100 percent

uber is spending millions in propoganda to prevent it.

https://qz.com/927777/the-teamsters-have-finally-begun-to-organize-uber-drivers-in-seattle/
Perhaps they can organize freelances, however, higher wages can't be forced, only negotiated. Collective bargaining 101. I have a question how much would you be willing to pay the union in dues? What percetage of each fare would,you be willing to oay to the union. How much of that $3.66 would you give them? Their services do not come free.

Well suffolk, I'd pay a union, like i pay my other lifelong union, whatever the percent is, 2 %?,,,,
UBER can't even decide how much percent they take out of each ride?

DID YOU ever look at fare details? I myself played dumb and blind I didnt wanna know, but a friend in NYC asked me because he used uber, and then i began to look. I thought uber takes %35..,,.well I was wrong,sometimes its almost %50.
I wrote uber, I CAN post their response if you want, its a joke, but point is, THERE IS NO ANSWER TO EXACTLY HOW MUCH THEY TAKE.

THEREFORE. PLENTY OF %%%%% to give to a union to organize this mess......

IF giving a union %2, got uber to committ to a solid %30 take on every ride, that would be a win win for me.

Uber's benefits page is a joke and a ripoff, who can afford that? its insane. Benefits are part of union negotiations and contracts. everything is possile.
This long island uber is only 1 year and 2 months old!

Uber315

Do we have any drivers who play a lawyer on TV? Lol.

If we are contractors, shouldnt we have the same rights as any other contractor/employee?

We should have details of where they are going, and the price of the trip.

Does anyone know of any littigation or effort to get something like this done?
You are on to something I have created a post looking for all reasons that make us employees . These are 2 good ones . Would love for you to post them on there .

Thanks I think Im onto something, its been bugging me lately. I know we're on the cusp of a good future web-based industry, but things gotta get tweaked so we can make the money we deserve. I dont believe it'll happen without a union.
I was reading recently, the average working>> lifespan in our area is 3 months, and people get disgusted and quit. IM willing to give this a shot and keep h0pe alive. I know I can't do it alone and need outside help.

Umdriving

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You are on to something I have created a post looking for all reasons that make us employees . These are 2 good ones . Would love for you to post them on there .
Where is your post....would be happy to share. We need to share.

Umdriving

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Look, I am a believer in unions and part of one. No, a union could not force uber to increase fares. Unions can only try to negotiate higher wages for its members, they can not force any employer to pay higher wages. The only thing a union can do is file a grievance if someone is being paid less than what is agreed to in the CBA and it goes before an independentent arbitrator And to do that there has to first be a collective bargaining agreement in place. It is beyond a remote chance that of it ever happening.

I know this is going to piss alot of people off, but the bottom line is no-one is forced to driver for uber/lyft. If you trying to do this to make a living, or a part time job to help meet expenses, then you beyond naive. The most effective thing drivers could do to improve wages, is to refuse to accept requests unless there is a surge, especially on the weekends. As long as uber has thoudands of people willing to drive aimlessly with the app on and pick up every little ping, nothing will change. Okay, ready for the virtual daggers to be thrown....[/QUOT

Lol...wake up dude. This is the most insane train of thought, ever. If you advocate, getting a "real" job, with benefits, etc, do you beleive that there were standard, 40 hour work weeks, overtime pay, health insurance, family leave, vacation time, out of the goodness of big businesses heart? How do you think people got those benefits? People fought, and died for that shit. Literally, died.

The argument, that you "dont have to work there", comes from a REDICOULUS mentality, that doesn't even recognize that those benefits from a regular "job" were not given, but were fought for, for DECADES.

We are talking about the basic concept, of business. Bargaining, negotiating, some would even say fairness.

If you dont have the balls, to ask for what you want, let the real men do it for you.

It always works out that way. The onea who sit on the sidelines, or have something negative to say, always benefit from the ones who try and stand up.