• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Should you tip your Uber/Lyft driver?

Today roughly 1/3 of the US workforce is categorized as somehow being in the “service” industry. But tipping is not clear cut across the board. It seems odd that someone would get tipped for making coffee, but not for spending half an hour helping you pick out a pair of comfortable pants. Why would you tip a flight attendant when he/she sells you a beverage, but not when they bring you a pillow and blanket?

It is customary in the USA to tip most minimum wage (equivalent) service people. The general population recognizes that trying to survive on minimum wage is an utterly ridiculous notion. The word TIPS is commonly said to mean “To Insure Prompt Service”. This implies that if someone does NOT provide a normal level of service, then they would not deserve a tip. We have all had the rotten waiter/waitress, and thought to ourselves about giving them nothing because we felt they were horrible.

So the question is, should you tip your driver?

Often times this question is tossed about on the driver forums, and the discussions can get quite lively! What commonly occurs in these discussions is a comparison of Uber and Lyft drivers to other service people in society. What if your driver were a…..

Taxi driver

Taxi drivers are the closest comparison to Uber and Lyft drivers. Cab drivers are usually driving a company vehicle that they rent, so their expenses are rent + gas, vs an Uber driver, who is usually responsible for gas as well as maintenance and repair. People who have taken a cab will often tip the driver, AND the ride costs more to begin with! Do you tip your cab driver? I know, some of the readers are too young to have ever seen the inside of a Crown Vic, lol. If you believe that comparing Uber and Lyft drivers to taxi drivers is a fair comparison, then YES you should tip your driver.

Pizza Delivery Driver

Someone brings a hot pizza to your place and you slide them a few bucks. If they took an hour to get it to you, they are probably getting nothing. The tip is “To Insure Prompt Service”. Yes, it is their job, but whether they do a good job or a lousy job will affect your happiness. Even if you only give $1 of $2, you still give something, right? I hope….

The pizza delivery driver is likely using their own vehicle, and they get paid a small portion of the delivery fee. But at 50 cents per delivery, that does not cover the cost of a new set of tires or brakes. The tips cover the difference.

As an Uber driver, there is nothing extra that drivers earn per delivery. Uber and Lyft keep 100% of the Booking Fees.

Waiter/Waitress

This person brings you a menu, gets drinks for you, takes your order, brings your food, brings extra napkins or ketchup, refills your drinks, takes additional orders perhaps (dessert anyone?), goes back and forth to your table over and over, and may end up cleaning up after you. The amount of work they do is tremendous for a minimum wage job. Without the tip, it is just a miserable job.

If the tips dry up in the food business, the service people are gone. The cooks and owners will stick around, but without tips waiters and waitresses leave that line of work.

Uber drivers get NO minimum, so when business “dries up” and there are no rides, they get paid NOTHING, not even minimum wage.

Barista or Bartender

These fine people stand in one area and make your drinks. Depending on the establishment, they may be cleaning up after you as well. Do you tip them? If you tip your bartender but not the barista, what is the logic behind that? Both of them bring you a tasty beverage, and have to clean up their work area when they are done. Both have to deal with people who may be picky about what they want, and who may leave a mess behind.

Your driver may have to clean up after you (hopefully not). Your driver most definitely needs to keep their vehicle clean, which means spending money and time for car washes and vacuum, dust, etc. If the driver is providing any amenities (water, gum, vomit bags) they are paying for it out of pocket. The driver needs to make sure the car is in good running order on a regular basis, which means paying for oil changes, tires, brakes, gasoline, etc. And, if you make a mess then they have to take time out of their day to stop and clean, which means lost income during that time.

A little history

Lyft began when Uber started their Uber X service, they were within one week of each other. They took opposite approaches to tipping. Lyft put the tip option right up front – when the ride is over you get a screen asking if you wanted to tip the driver, and THEN it asked what rating you wanted to give. Uber, on the other hand, LIED to the public and claimed that tips were included! They are not, obviously, and it took a class action lawsuit to get them to rescind that lie. $28 million dollars later they changed the wording to say that tips are “not required”. In 2017 when the former CEO was kicked out Uber did an about face on tipping and allowed tips to be input via the app.

Unfortunately, the damage from the first lie was tremendous, and people had gotten the idea that they didn’t need to tip their Uber driver. To this day Lyft is still “in your face” about a tip, while with Uber you have to make an effort to find the place to leave a tip.

Arguments against tipping

One argument against tipping is that driving is their job, and they are already paid by the companies. If they don’t like the pay they receive, then they should go find a different line of work. Why should you have to pay a bribe to someone in order to get them to do the job they are paid to do in the first place?

A counter argument is that this line of thought would apply to ALL tipped jobs, and tipping ANYONE becomes a waste of money under this reasoning. You could argue that people just need to do the jobs they were hired for, and this includes ANY job that has a reasonable expectation of a tip. If you feel that a tip is a bribe, then why should you have to tip anyone, anywhere?

In some countries, businesses charge a bit more and pay their service workers a fair wage. This completely eliminates the need for tipping. This system seems much more fair, however that is not the system we have. In the United States, one of the ways that a business keeps prices low is by skimping on paying the workers. The customers make up for the income shortfall by providing tips. This way the worker gets paid more fairly, and the prices stay low overall. The debate of having the customers subsidize the low prices by tipping the workers has been going on for a long time. Will it change any time soon? Probably not. You have a better chance of getting the US to convert to the metric system than to give up the tipping culture.

I urge you to do a little research and find out for sure what service people (who expect tips) really make per hour, and I bet it is very close (before tips) to minimum wage (across the board). Try looking up what Uber and Lyft drivers make. You will find that their earnings are in the bottom 10% of all earners in the United States! When Uber and Lyft talk about how much drivers earn, they lie by inflating figures and quoting gross earnings instead of net earnings. The companies are relatively new to the world, and so the regulations and lawsuits to prevent this have not yet really taken hold. And there are always the drivers who are trying to get a bonus by recruiting more drivers, and they lie about how great the earnings are (but that is another article).

Another argument against tipping, is why should you tip unless they do something special or give extra service? A valid point, and once again you could make that argument about ANY job. Why do you tip the bartender, all they do is pour you a beer, and that’s their job, right? Again, the answer is, money. We all know the pay is so low in certain jobs that tipping is what makes the difference between eating McDonald’s every day and having money for groceries for home cooked meals. Tips allow a parent to take one day a week off to be with their children. If the bartender did not get tipped by anyone, you would see a new bartender working there every single week. After experiencing some good service and some lousy service, you might realize that it is worth paying an extra dollar or two in order to keep one of the better ones around. The same is true of drivers, do you want to get into a vehicle expecting good service, or do you cringe at the thought of getting into an Uber?

My philosophy on tipping

My beliefs have changed over the years as I have aged. We tip service people who are the lowest paid people in society. The lowest paying jobs in society are a stepping stone to help individuals get by, until they can move up the economic ladder, and a tip makes it sustainable while they are trying to get ahead.

When it comes to a tip, I ask myself a simple question: Do I want to see this person succeed at this job? If so, I will tip. If they have a good attitude, or bring something extra to the encounter, or can do their job in a satisfactory manner, then yes, I would like them to serve me again, and I show that by leaving a tip. Not leaving a tip is sending them a message that you don’t care if they quit, in my opinion.

What do you think? Feel free to comment!

Mr T

Comments

Capone

Wow, I admire your dedication. How do I access getting pax coupons? I would like to try this.

I do have one of those signs hanging on the backseats that encourage 5 star ratings and tips that aren't required.

When I first started, I used to open the car for people but I got a vibe that they weren't really feelin it. One pax even repeatedly told me "it's okay" as her way of saying please don't. Also it's not exactly a sexy fancy car, so maybe opening doors just didn't really look right? I dunno.
If you go to my site, UnbeatableBid a out halfway down in the blog section are all my codes, click Lean More, you can't miss it. If you use a code and sign up for the service you'll then be able to create your own code that you can share. My master plan is to ditch the text and put my site on the $.10 magnifiers... Today I told a lot of the pax that they sell for $4.99 in stores but I buy in bulk so I don't pay much for them at all, and since I found out yesterday that this is true I say "And be careful because they can actually start a fire. People laugh when I tell them that or say "how do you know that?" And I say "I'm a pyro" or "I got a dry leaf burning yesterday so you never know it could save your life one day or at least light up a smoke in a pinch!"

One guy said "Cool, I'm going to burn some ants" to which I replied, "Man, I killed a lot of ants as a kid, I still feel guilty about it". 90%dig it, 10% reduse- but I think they refuse to take for the same reason they don't eat the mints or drink the water-logged otherwise they would feel guilty for not tipping. I always try to show e itdown their throat at the end of the ride "Take one for later! It only costs me $.15 tax included!". Then they tip, lol.

Oh, so the relay number when you get a text or a call from a Pax never changes, so save it in your phone as "Lyft Pax" then before you start a ride it's good to have your "Tips are appreciated, even a buck is AWESOME!" AND coupon links qued up so it only takes 15 seconds to shoot off the text and then quicklyend the ride... Don't forget to say "Thanks forgiving me permission to send this ONE text, I hope you find one or two of the coupons of value, yada yada.".... You don't want a pax complaining you spamed them through the app, could open up a can of worms. We want to open up cans of Whoopass and get those well earned Tips. I think I covered most of the diner details in my main post. Put your own spin on it or use my words verbatim... If you find verbiage that works please share it with me. I never would have putup a sign of I didn't read it hear that it works. 'm not sure but I think I can stack up the $20 Airbnb Coupons so my plan is to save them up and rent a 25 bedroom mansion for $650 a night and have a bunch of my friends and Facebook aquintences hang out in pure luxury for a night. Just hope nobody trashes the place! You got to treat yourself to the occasional luxuey, like a nice bottle of Dom... I'm going to rent a Ferrari one of these days when I've got a little cash to burn. I'm seriously thinking of buying a 2016 Lincoln MDX for Uber Black. Could be VS bit a couple people told me on a bad day they would make $150 and on the good days $500. Plus I'd be rolling in style. I would miss being a goofball though... Black car drivers got to be SERIOUS and wear a suit and open those doors. I'd probably put ajar of Grey Poupon in the back as a joke but otherwise I'll be all business. Commercial license and insurance would suck and one scratch in the paint and you're done, so I don't know. It's nice to have some income while I persue my goal of building up a national brand, one promoted wallet magnifier at a time. I hope to go to Alibababa and order 100,000 of them for $5k, $.05 each and my plan is to tell everyone I give one to, that it comes with a lifetime guarantee, just go to the site's contact form and ask for a replacement anytime. BTW, if anyone wants to check out the wallet magnifiers just go to my site and use one of the contact forms and request it. I'll mail you one out right away... (Limited to first 20 requests and after I get my marketing stickers, more bang for my dime). As soon as I get more stamps. And, yes, I'll guarantee it for life! I think swag is the ultimate marketing method. Top Of Mind Awareness is what it's all about. Someone says they want solar, you say oh, I know a guy that serves all of California who offers the best price guaranteed,got the website in my wallet where it's been for the last 5 years... UnbeatableBid,yah right hear, check it out and from there I can only hope it grows through word of mouth. Plus I need to expand to more markets but for now I'm trying to get my first sale under my belt. Does anyone have any opinions on my plan to win America's hearts and business through my lifetime swag idea?

If you can't tell I have major Bi-Polar Disorder so what you are witnessing is me firing on all cylinders or maybe better described as "Rocketfuel in a moped" but to be honest, these are the best of times and I actually do get a lot of crap done... The downside is when it's over I might sleep for a week straight and wake up thinking all my ideas are worthless. It's an interesting way to live. Wow, I've been hear an hour time to go.

Peace out and sorry again for my grammar I think all this driving has made me eapeespeci loopy!

Drive safe out there!

Castaneda7189

Good for you man, I am glad that you found your way through this gig. To be sincere, your tactics are awesome but not meant for everyone. Not everyone has your attitude or quick humor. Which is great for this kind of hustle. Thats they way bartenders kill it with tips. Sadly with rideshare tips are usually scarce because most people don't think its customary to do so. Your way of doing things requires some extra effort which not everyone is willing to put in. I am certainly not, but since you are, definitely earning your tip money. Kind grinding my man. Do work!

Capone

Whatever car model this is, I'm sorry to say but the glovebox portion of the dashboard looks unimaginative and dated considering I assume it is a 2008 or newer model. '90s really. Punch the car interior designer.
Also, you got to know that freaking glove box has a great cutting edge technology that I wish they had fined tuned because it never quite worked that great, but I love invention and this "outdated"glove box has in it, a really good idea- it's called the CoolZone and all you have to do is move apiece of the designated drink holder area (4 bottles or cans) forward a bit and magically your A/C is divered to the small section this cooling your drinks- more accurately, it worked to keep your already cool drinks cool- a brilliant idea if you ask me. If it worked better taking warm drink and making it ice cold, it would probably Lyft be in every car today, but the performance just wasn't quite there. I wish they would just have a separate vent to really chill the drinks but you shouldn't be bagging on aglo e box just because it looks funny- but you sir do have a good eye, I'm just not sure you're utilizing it to it's maximum potential! Lol, never in my life have I heard anyone critique a glove box, but I think it's pretty funny. Ypu shouldsseethe friggin vlind spots on thisthing. The CoolZone- great, even brilliant idea- don't you think? Have an ice cold beverage ready hand to good customers would be pretty cool. Maybe I'll dust it off and keep a couple chilled water bottles in there for my favorite riders. Ot:'' one of those "why didn'tI think of that ideas". Ok, I showed you mine now you show me yours- just kidding, why would I want to see a picture of a glove box?! Lol

PS plus this bad boy has an interior light in the back that pops out and becomes a constantly charged flashlight. That's a cool feature too, don't you think?

No Bluetooth or nav or USB input but I could always buy anew stereo,eh?

What's your rides coolest feature and if you say the glovebox I will never speak to you again.

Peace

Capone

Wow, I admire your dedication. How do I access getting pax coupons? I would like to try this.

I do have one of those signs hanging on the backseats that encourage 5 star ratings and tips that aren't required.

When I first started, I used to open the car for people but I got a vibe that they weren't really feelin it. One pax even repeatedly told me "it's okay" as her way of saying please don't. Also it's not exactly a sexy fancy car, so maybe opening doors just didn't really look right? I dunno.

SEAL Team 5

Today roughly 1/3 of the US workforce is categorized as somehow being in the “service” industry.
HEART HEALTH[/paste:font]
1 in 3 U.S. adults eat fast food each day, study finds
The study found that higher-income families ate fast food more often than lower-income families, and blacks ate it more than other racial or ethnic groups.
by Associated Press / Oct.03.2018 / 10:04 PM GMT

1/3 in the service industry and 1/3 eating fast food everyday, yea that makes sense. Won't be long before 1/3 addicted to opioids and 1/3 are illiterate.

backcountryrez

Capone, I agree completely that going "above and beyond" is something that will elicit tips from pax. Even though we make very little on rides, I don't expect the pax to know that nor am I going to educate them, unless they ask. Even though I don't provide any extra amenities (no napkins, water, mints), it's the small things like backing my car into their driveway, telling him I will be loading their bags, picking up and dropping off on the side of the street dependent on where they are sitting in the car so they have easy hop on/hop off.

Also, having great conversation helps tremendously. You don't have to be the best at making conversation, because pax are more interested in talking about themselves and hearing the occasional confirmation response from you.

Lastly, know your pickup areas. You're bound to get a lesser % of tips if you don't discriminate pickups. I found that when I pick up from areas where I'm confident I will be driving long distances or where people know the idea of service I will earn more tips.

MercDuke

Nice thread. I feel like if I load their bags or let them use the stereo, they should tip. If they sit there and shut up and don't make excessive demands, then no tip is required. I think handing out water and mints is just dumb. You are a Driver, not a Convenience Store! And you make it harder for the rest of us. I had a Drunk Pool Pax last week all miffed because I didn't have Water for her Min. Fare ride Home from the Bar. She said, I know they give you water to hand out, where is it? LMFAO!

APettyJ

Just want to point iut, UPS and FedEx drivers and mail carriers are in the service industry. they are most definitely not minimum wage, but they all do receive tips from time to time.

I like to think of the concept of giving something extra by the word "gratuity", which gets to the reason behind why I "tip": grateful for the service, especially if it is good service, and that is its purpose, or was at one time. If someone did something extra, I would like to SHOW my thanks and not just say it. That's why while I like the fact that in other cuktures they pay lower scale service workers a life sustaining wage they talk about giving gratuities almost in a distasteful tone. It sounds to me like looking down on or talking negatively about holding the door open for someone. Dislike the word "bribe", which has negative connotations and prefer the word "incentivize".

x100

Try educating the well-paid Swiss tourists and cheapie Aussies about the must-tip rule in our industry.

my thoughts and practice on tipping in general is somewhere in the middle
i know a lot of people who just tip their servers a set % because that is what they do.
if you bring my food with a shit attitude. you didn't verify my order was complete after slamming it on my table and disappearing. my drink sat empty. i had to look for my check.
and you know you depend on tips to survive.
find another line of work, i am not rewarding this behavior.
and it is not a set percent.
a low tip means, you put in minimal and barely adequate service. take it as a hint to shape up or you ain't gonna make it.
i work hard for my money too, after all.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Try educating the well-paid Swiss tourists and cheapie Aussies about the must-tip rule in our industry.
This is because in those countries, people are PAID VERY WELL, and Tipping is not necessary. It barely springs to mind. On the flip side, if you try to TIP in those countries, the server will almost always feel 'insulted' (even if they don't show it) again, nothing personal, just not a part of the culture.

Dollar Driver

In my opinion tipping Uber and Lyft drivers should be a common courtesy as long as they provide a safe, clean and professional service. If they go above and beyond then the tip should reflect that too. Same courtesy I provide to wait staff, bartenders, taxi drivers, baristas, valet parkers, bellhops, food delivery drivers, hotel housekeepers, airport valets, massage therapists , hairdressers/barbers, casino workers, the guy that helps me tie the Christmas tree to my car and probably more that I can't think of. Before I use those service I anticipate the tip in to the cost. I'm not bragging , I would hope most people are the same. If the tips dry up the quality of the service I imagine would reflect that too.

A lot of passengers tell me that my car smells better and is cleaner than they expect from Uber and Lyft, and guess what percent of them tip? I don't expect a tip and don't provide the level of service I do to get a tip, I do it because I believe in the principle of being clean, polite, helpful and professional. I do help people with their bags, most passengers I pick up at supermarkets do tip me, this is probably the reason why.

To me a rider gets a 5 star rating if they show me at least the same level of courtesy I extend. On Uber I have no way of knowing if they tip at the time I rate them so I assume the best and give 5 stars almost all the time. On the Lyft platform I can wait to rate the rider and see if they tip accordingly , and rate them based on if I feel they provided as 5 star experience for me as their driver.

Julescase

Obviously servers and pizza/food delivery people should be tipped - that's a given and anyone who disagrees needs to eat a bag of donkey dicks. If you can't afford to tip your servers then stay home and microwave some totinos pizza rolls ffs......if you can't tip those who live off tips, you can't afford to eat out or order delivery - and you should reexamine your lot in life. Tipping servers and delivery people isn't even up for debate - don't be a cheapskate loser.

People should remember that rideshare drivers don't even earn a minimum guaranteed hourly wage - even more reason the stellar ones should always be tipped. Drivers don't automatically make $10 per hour for being out in our cars, app on, ready and willing and HOPING to work. We make $0 guaranteed per hour. Shit - if we earned a minimum wage for being in our car with apps on (in addition to our "per ride" earnings obviously), I don't think I'd feel so passionately about tips (or the sad lack thereof).

I strongly believe that if every person who uses Uber or Lyft as a passenger drove rideshare for a month (to get a real understanding about what it takes to be an excellent, gracious, and knowledgeable driver), that every single pax would tip after their one-month driving experience. The good drivers make it look easy, which is why pax don't have much appreciation for good service.

UberLyftFlexWhatever

I thought I posted this already... Not sure. Anywho, I have an awesome system that has DOUBLED/TRIPLED my % of customers who tip and the amount of the tip has DOUBLED/TRIPLED as well. I hope this info helps out another person who is frustrated by the lack of tips on Lyft/Uber rides. It works best with Lyft.

1) The basics; clean car, smells good (vanilla yellow trees), phone chargers for Android (reg. & new C-Type- $1 at the $1 Store and Apple). I let them know they can roll down the window. I always make conversation with the pax, but recognize when they want a quiet ride. Music- whatever they want to hear and I usually keep the volume low so we can talk. I read one guy's analysis and he said his tips were directly coralated to whether or not he had engaging conversation. Plus it's the funnest part of the job. Meeting new people and learning about them makes the time fly by, as a bonus.

2) The extras; Water, Soft Mints, Dum Dums, Lifesaver Mints and a free gift- a $2-$5 value wallet magnifier I buy in bulk for $.10/each. It will even start a fire or light up a smoke. 90% View attachment 263155 View attachment 263155 of people LOVE them.

3) I send a text through the app's relay number just before the ride is over that gives the pax coupons for free food delivery services, Airbnb and more (which earn me free credits from $5-$20 and possibly $800 if I get a new driver onboard)... and note in the text that says "Tips are appreciated but if money is tight, don't worry about it, I understand. I try to go the extra mile on every ride ride and EARN any tip I may get. Even just a buck is greatly appreciated." I rarely get $1 tips because of this one line. It is KEY. Also, letting them know it's okay not to tip takes the pressure off and makes the tipping process less like begging for money. Earn your tips.

4) A small descreet "Tips are appreciated" sign near my LED lit up bottles of water and one in front.

Bottom line, take the extra steps. Open the door for the pax if you can. Provide exceptional service. Don't be afraid to say "It's not required but tips are GREATLY APPRECIATED". If they ask you how much you make always add "Tips help a lot and I try to EARN them."

Here's some proof, because like they say, "No screenshot, it never happened!" LOL.

Have fun out there. Spend $20, earn $100. It adds up to THOUSANDS over the course of a year .

Let me know if you try my method and how it works out for you, if you feel like it.

Peace,

Mark

View attachment 263152 View attachment 263152 View attachment 263152 View attachment 263153
“I send a text through the app's relay number just before the ride is over”
You’re Texting while driving?

Just wondering