Should Uber/Lyft add a "Confirmed Driver" Slider?

IMMA DRIVER

There are lots of talks about who should give their name first the pax or the driver. Many media outlets are informing pax to ask driver's to provide their name before entering the vehicle. Driver's are somewhat against this because anyone can get in an Uber/Lyft vehicle then request a change to the address etc.....and be the wrong pax.

I think there should be a 2-way street when confirming a pax when beginning a ride.

So here's a possible solution: The rider app should have a slider at the bottom of the screen that says "CONFIRMED DRIVER"
Sliding this box automatically sets the driver navigation to the destination on the rider's trip.

Simply put: Driver's confirm arriving the pax, Rider confirms pickup by driver.

Education could be provided in the passenger app that the trip will not start until the pax swipes right.

No more excuses about not having the correct pax.
No more excuses about "my phone is dead" can you make another stop.
No more excuses about "I want to change my destination" when the wrong pax enters your vehicle.
No more "what's your name, no what's your name, no I'm not telling you mine what's yours."

This forces each party to confirm identity correctly. With an added security of the ride not starting til pax confirms the driver.

Would a "confirmed driver" slider help ease the minds of some passenger's?

Last edited:

E30addixt

It's amazing to me this is such a big deal for so many people. Half the time we say each others names at the same time. When that happens I get them to say the address first.

A simple and where are we off to tonight works. They spit the address on the screen right out.

This isnt rocket science.

IMMA DRIVER

It's amazing to me this is such a big deal for so many people. Half the time we say each others names at the same time. When that happens I get them to say the address first.

A simple and where are we off to tonight works. They spit the address on the screen right out.

This isnt rocket science.

Until someone get's hurt.......

This problem didn't exist as much before but now media outlets are telling pax to ask the driver's their names first. Pax were not doing that before. Imagine if every pax you pull up to says to you "who are you?"

Mvlab

This problem didn't exist as much before but now media outlets are telling pax to ask the driver's their names first. Pax were not doing that before.
You are absolutely right! Better safe than sorry. So, for even more added security and piece of mind I propose another simple, but relatively accurate method- DNA verification.

E30addixt

This problem didn't exist as much before but now media outlets are telling pax to ask the driver's their names first. Pax were not doing that before. Imagine if every pax you pull up to says to you "who are you?"
So then they say the address. Problem solved. No biggie.

IMMA DRIVER

So then they say the address. Problem solved. No biggie.

You don't get it....the pax is looking for the protection. So, for example they say they're going to 123 Uber Ave and a rogue driver says "yes". How does that solve anything or assure safety?

IMMA DRIVER

You are absolutely right! Better safe than sorry. So, for even more added security and piece of mind I propose another simple, but relatively accurate method- DNA verification.

By confirming the pax got in the correct vehicle will help eliminate the need for DNA samples, SS#'s, fingerprinting, driving bar exams, mouth cotton swabs or any other thing they attempt to get from drivers.
Post automatically merged:

This is not an issue, paycuts is.

Pax and communities want safety, they don't care about driver wages. That's another issue.

E30addixt

You don't get it....the pax is looking for the protection. So, for example they say they're going to 123 Uber Ave and a rogue driver says "yes". How does that solve anything or assure safety?

They demanded the name of the driver first. That's their protection. The rogue Uber driver would have to have the same name as the one on the app for it to be a problem.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

IMMA DRIVER

They demanded the name of the driver first. That's their protection. The rogue Uber driver would have to have the same name as the one on the app for it to be a problem.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Some Uber driver's don't want to give their name first. If the pax refuses the ride they get charged a cancellation fee. Which is unfair.

E30addixt

Some Uber driver's don't want to give their name first. If the pax refuses the ride they get charged a cancellation fee. Which is unfair.
They have our picture, vehicle info and license plate in addition to our name. They deserve the cancellation fee if they refuse the ride. It is by no means unfair to the pax. If anything it's unfair to the driver.

They have numerous ways to verify they're getting in the correct car before they even open the door to ask someones name. If they can't be bothered to do that what happens next is on them. People need to take responsibility for their own actions, or lack thereof.

Last edited:

scamp

Two years ago, I stopped changing destinations for pax. If they want a different destination, they must update their APP. I've had only one PAX upset at this policy, and he was "borrowing" his gf's account... I suspect without her permission.

Anyways, at night I keep my doors locked and require PAX to tell me their name before unlocking. I never tell PAX whom I'm looking for and often cover phone so they can't see it. PAX is told to confirm my license plate number before entering and I'm told to make sure I have right PAX. It works fine.

Mvlab

I d
I do. Passengers have my name, picture and license plates number on their app, I have nothing besides their fake name ( sometimes it's Chinese hieroglyphs that I have no idea how to pronounce) and if they choose to cancel for their "safety"- I truly believe that my cancellation fee is well deserved.
Post automatically merged:

They have our picture, vehicle info and license plate in addition to our name. They deserve the cancellation fee if they refuse the ride. It is by no means unfair to the pax. If anything it's unfair to the driver.

They have numerous ways to verify they're getting in the correct car before they even open the door to ask someones name. If they can't be bothered to do that what happens next is on them. People need to take responsibility for their own actions, or lack thereof.
Ops, I just virtually duplicated your post. It seems that we think identically.

Goodellsux

There are lots of talks about who should give their name first the pax or the driver. Many media outlets are informing pax to ask driver's to provide their name before entering the vehicle. Driver's are somewhat against this because anyone can get in an Uber/Lyft vehicle then request a change to the address etc.....and be the wrong pax.

I think there should be a 2-way street when confirming a pax when beginning a ride.

So here's a possible solution: The rider app should have a slider at the bottom of the screen that says "CONFIRMED DRIVER"
Sliding this box automatically sets the driver navigation to the destination on the rider's trip.

Education could be provided in the passenger app that the trip will not start until the pax swipes right.

No more excuses about "I want to change my destination" when the wrong pax enters your vehicle.
No more "what's your name, no what's your name, no I'm not telling you mine what's yours."

This forces each party to confirm identity correctly. With an added security of the ride not starting til pax confirms the driver.

That would help and I have no issue with added security.

One way for both the passenger and driver to verify would be to show each other‘s phone screen

Hugh J

That would help and I have no issue with added security.

One way for both the passenger and driver to verify would be to show each other‘s phone screen
Good good idea. But we would still get those passengers that say they were ordered a rideshare via friend or family member.

Diamondraider

Pax are not controlling my ability to operate my vehicle.

Think ahead. You are now sitting in a car with a pax that is in control whether you can drive. Perhaps you want them to operate the brake or maybe the directional too, especially since so few drivers know their car has directionals

Mvlab

I think you, as a driver, should care more about your safety first. Passengers have various activists, mass media, politicians ( especially in MA) behind them, you, on the other hand, are on your own, you are "independent contractor" and nobody cares about you. Mass media wants hot stories about "hand on the boob", officials want to "regulate" you to the extent that you don't even know what to do to prove that you is actually you and then what fees and fines you have to pay to do so, Uber wants more money from passengers and to pay you less, despite all your "strategies"... How, for Crist sake, that slider can help you?

IMMA DRIVER

I think you're failing to realize that some people only take Uber so they can get wasted, intoxicated, drunk, high or whatever knowing that us driver's will get them home safely and they don't get an OUI or DUI. Most driver's want to assure that a pax who is too drunk to drive and barely can operate their phone can get home safely. I understand they have our info, but after a night of partying and being impaired not "every" pax can see straight. Also I've heard from some pax that at night it's tough to read the license plate number with the small font on their phone. (Another feature they need to add is the State where the license is from)

How, for Crist sake, that slider can help you?
The slider is for Uber to add into the app then tell Mass reps that there is no need for DNA samples, saliva swabs, finger printing, Uber car breathalyzer's or any other thng they try to throw at us.

And Uber/Lyft have given us protection. We can cancel and leave at any point before or during a ride. There is an emergency button, we're allowed dash cams. We have the pax rating, home addresses, work address and if you're clever enough you can obtain they're personal phone number. Most driver's have some type of weapon or protection whether it's mace spray or small sharp knife, tool or whatever. We control the mood, speed of vehicle, tone of conversation. We can even quickly sight screen our passenger before entering the vehicle. How much more protection can Uber/Lyft legally give us? A pic maybe..... would that really protect us?

Last edited:

E30addixt

I think you're failing to realize that some people only take Uber so they can get wasted, intoxicated, drunk, high or whatever knowing that us driver's will get them home safely and they don't get an OUI or DUI. Most driver's want to assure that a pax who is too drunk to drive and barely can operate their phone can get home safely. I understand they have our info, but after a night of partying and being impaired not "every" pax can see straight. Also I've heard from some pax that at night it's tough to read the license plate number with the small font on their phone.

The slider is for Uber to add into the app then tell Mass reps that there is no need for DNA samples, saliva swabs, finger printing, Uber car breathalyzer's or any other thng they try to throw at us.

That falls under not my problem that they're too drunk to read something, or know what car they're getting into or match my picture with my phone or know my name or their destination. Theres a metric shit ton of ways for people for people to get in the right car and they still @@@@ it up. Adding another layer of complexity isnt going to help them.

Have fun coordinating with one of those types to slide something before you can navigate btw. That should work out fantastic.

You can try all you want to accommodate the lowest common denominator, but as soon as you do, another idiot will come along and lower the bar. There is simply no helping some people.

They MA reps are gonna throw all of that at us regardless, they are not reasonable people grounded in reality.

Fingerprinting will be in the next round of regs. You can put money on it.

Last edited:

IMMA DRIVER

Theres a metric shit ton of ways for people for people to get in the right car and they still @@@@ it up. Adding another layer of complexity isnt going to help them.

There's obviously a flaw in the system if this happens to soooooo many pax.

Have fun coordinating with one of those types to slide something before you can navigate btw.
I'm surprised this wasn't implemented when they introduced the app.

There is simply no helping some people.
You're acting like everyone who requests a ride requests it as often as you drive. You may know the driver app inside and out as do most drivers. But that's not the case for most riders who only take Uber on occasion.

MA reps are gonna throw all of that at us regardless
I wouldn't underestimate the power of Uber. Boston does not want Uber pulling out like they did in Austin, Texas. There needs to be careful thought behind fingerprinting drivers.