1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Should Uber Drug Test?

Discussion in 'Stories' started by corniilius, Sep 11, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

72 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

There is no need for fake urine, just real urine from someone you know is clean.

An acquaintance of mine made it through his half way house experience, selling his "yellow gold" to the dope heads so they could graduate. He was an aggravated assault guy, his problem was that he WASNT on medication.

2. UberUberman

UberUberman New Member

More on point (like someone who can hold an intelligent conversation without flinging insults) CDL holders are required to test, Taxi drivers are required to test, airline employees are required to test, how are Uber/Lyft drivers any different? We operate in a position of trust where the public expects us to be alert and coherent to get them safely to their destination. It doesn't matter if you are getting paid rock star limo driver rates or rock bottom UberPOOL. The trust level is the same. In order to ensure that trust hasn't been violated, it only makes sense to ensure that the driver was not incapacitated in any way by testing for drug/alcohol use after an accident and prior to being hired.

It's a sensible measure that protects not only the passenger, but also the driver from false accusation (I see this ALL the time where I work, pax making ridiculous statements in an attempt to get staff in trouble, the test clears the issue right up). I'm not saying that I'm championing Uber/Lyft to institute a drug policy, I'm saying that I'm surprised that they haven't.

Now, there's the underlying issue of residual drugs being detected long after consumption. To this I say GROW UP. Your occupation is a choice. If you choose an occupation that requires drug/alcohol testing then put down the pipe/bottle and do your job sober. If you are afraid you'll get popped on a residual, then stop doing drugs/drinking on or close to duty. It sucks that I can't have a beer at lunch even though I know it won't affect my job function, but I made a choice to work for this company and follow their rules. You make your own choices and are the master of your own destiny. Drug testing isn't some "mass conspiracy" to get you.

3. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Rebuttals in blue:
    God bless justice. Everyone was safer that day.

4. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

Not in Pittsburgh, at least not when I was driving. The city did fingerprint us, ascertained we didn't have any warrants, but no pissing.

5. ShinyAndChrome

ShinyAndChrome Well-Known Member

They can "mandate" whatever, and we can agree to it, or not. They already background check. They also confirm we have no DUIs or similar (at least recently?). If a passenger is truly worried I may be tweaking, they are welcome to call a taxi and pay twice as much and wait twice as long. I'll take a drug test when the pax do. I've had a couple that stank of weed.

6. Leo1983

Leo1983 Active Member

Lol

They will. They'll just call it maintenance.

tohunt4me likes this.
  7. UberLaLa

UberLaLa Well-Known Member

Uber does drug & alcohol test. Any passenger even hints at their driver smelling or seeming under the influence and Uber Suspends them. :eek:

tohunt4me likes this.
  8. robg77

robg77 Member

In Colorado, drivers must pass a medical examination to drive for Uber and/or Lyft. It's mandated, and you (the driver) pay for it. Did you, GasHealthTimeCostsGasHealthTimeCosts, not have to fill this requirement? Oh, and I agree about drugs not affecting the way people drive -- who even says that, right? It's perfectly safe!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  9. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

So you are gonna work for walmart ?

10. THE MAN!

THE MAN! Well-Known Member

They don't for same reason they don't finger print. To combusom for there model of getting drivers on road quick as possible. Uber doesn't care about anyone other then themselves! Till summer of 2014 X cars were operating risking both passengers and drivers by allowing to operate with regular tags/insurance. This company's rouge and lawless behavior for years will seal Ubers fate in end!

11. Strange Fruit

Driving:
    UberX
    A friend of mine uses Uber cuz she's had too many taxi drivers seem high. I think it's just a risk in life, not something u can ever avoid 100%. Dimwitted middleclass mentality doesn't understand that that's life. So they make up BS rituals to try to control situations like drug tests. The proof of the dimwittedness is all the reasons in this thread for why testing is not only useless to protect u, but also bad for society, that have no serious rebuttal (none that I've ever heard anyway).
    That vato looking guy can't even follow simple reasoning. It's the standard, non thinking authoritarian mind. Actually, I've never heard anything thinky come out of a dude with wrap around shades. Has anyone else ever noticed that?
    Don't worry, he ignored me so this can't hurt his feelings. It's kinda fun when someone ignores u. Yr conscience is free while u talk all the **** u want

12. UberUberman

UberUberman New Member

When you are hired and before any drug testing you are required to notify the tester of any prescription drugs you are taking. Keep in mind that if any of those drugs are known to impair your ability to operate a motor vehicle, it does not matter if you are prescribed them or not. You can still be charged for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of a controlled substance if you are taking that medication and driving.

The responsibility test is choosing to use a drug (including alcohol) that you know you aren't allowed to use under the terms of your employment or will impair your ability. If you do that you are acting irresponsibly. Yes, some people act irresponsibly when sober. And there is a test for that, it's called the judicial system. Drive recklessly, speed, race, etc. and you FAIL the responsibility test and you can be fined or jailed.

The underlying assumption here is that the guy sitting at the red light was a "victim of fate" and wasn't under the influence at the time. He was popped on a residual. So what? He made the CHOICE to break the contract HE signed with his CHOSEN employer when he smoked/snorted/ingested/etc. a drug. He knew the risks, rolled the dice and lost. And who's to say that when he was under the influence (he obviously tested positive for something) that he wasn't performing a job function that put the public, his co-workers, or himself at risk? He could have been sitting in his living room or operating a tower crane.

I have a close relative that smokes weed even though the job she works is strictly zero tolerance. They only test under suspicion, no randoms, and as long as she flies under the radar she is fine. However, if one day she comes to me boohooing about how she got fired because she got tested it will fall on completely deaf ears.

Primary point addressed above. And if you down a 5th of Jack and get behind the wheel, I think you have taken and failed the responsibility test already.

*Groans* It's NOT an invasion of privacy IF YOU AGREE to it under the terms of your employment. If a LEO randomly knocked on your door, pulled you outside and made you take a piss test for drug use that's an invasion of privacy. An employer requiring a drug test as a condition of your employment is not.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Veronicaphone951 likes this.
  13. KellyC

KellyC Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    F*ck right off with that.

No sh*t, why even go there?

That's nice.

If Uber wants to drug test us, it can hire us & pay us salaries & reimburse us for the wear & tear on our cars. Otherwise ... no. Hell no.

Btw I don't even do drugs; it's the principal. All you corporate bootlickers can drug-test yourselves if it makes you feel better.

14. UberUberman

UberUberman New Member

If Uber/Lyft wants to require drug testing they will likely do it without additional compensation other than MAYBE absorbing the cost of the testing. I'm just surprised that state/local govt's haven't made drug testing a TNC requirement. If they do, and you or I choose (there's that word again) to keep driving for them, we will have to be drug tested and agree to conditions of testing.

Congrats on being drug free, commendable, wish I could say the same. But, how is it "the principal" <sic>? Do you hold the fundamental belief that ride-share drivers should be free to operate without the restrictions or rules put in place to ensure they are operating safely, just like every other transportation industry? And Uber/Lyft with a combined value of over $75 BILLION dollars isn't the very definition of corporate??? Sorry to break it to you but you work for a very large CORPORATION with over 1.5 million employee-operators. That's a lot of boots to lick.

15. mattadams

mattadams Well-Known Member

Kind of weirded out by how many people seem to think uber can't make rules about their lives or how they conduct their business simply because they aren't employees. I don't really think of us as employees, or independent contractors, I think of us as franchisees. If we were independent contractors, we'd have to do a lot of the marketing, the accounting, the technology, etc. and we'd have more control over how we operated our business. But we are just people who agreed to use their technology in return for a percentage of our fares. They do the marketing, they write the code, they update the maps, yada yada. We're like someone who bought a mcdonalds franchise (except we didn't have to pay for it) and we have to abide by mcdonalds rules so the customers get a fairly consistent exprience no matter which mcdonalds they go to (or uber they get into, in this case). Except in rare cases, pricing is pretty much within the same window, menu offerings the same, decor is pretty similar, etc. Uber can and does dictate what we can and can't do. We can't try to have sex with our customers. We can't be promoting lyft while driving uber (or other way around). We are expected to keep up a reasonably positive customer experience or risk deactivation (i.e. if your rating drops too low, they just don't let you use the technology anymore)... and if htey decided one day that you couldn't use drugs and they were going to test for it... guess what, if you tested positive, you'd get deactivated! Now I'm sure they know they'd lose a lot of employees, and htey've done the math and decided it isn't worth it to them to do the drug testing and/or enforce that you aren't on drugs... but if someone complains, better believe they are going to jump on it.
    Uber could, if they decided to, say that you can't be a smoker and still be an uber driver. There are a number of reasons why they might do this - because people don't like riding in cars with people who smoke (even if you smoke outside your car...), or they just don't like that you choose such an unhealthy route in your life. If you don't think they could control this (if they wanted to!) then you are sadly mistaken.

16. KellyC

KellyC Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Principle, damn it.

I am not an employee of Uber. You've missed the entire point.

17. Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221 New Member

Do you know how many drivers would fail for marijuana, at least here in Denver. Just because someone failed a drug test doesn't mean they are driving around high. I'm more worried about the drivers that drink on their off time then I am the ones that smoke. Guess which one is going to get taught and which one is going to keep driving. Yeah, the one using the most dangerous substance on the planet.

Because cannabis can stay in your system for over a month. While an alcoholic only has to stop for about 12 hours. Drug tests are a metaphorical Maginot line. You're going to get the people that smoke weed, but you're going to have alcoholics and hard drug users come threw the Ardennes.

LAS0023 likes this.
  18. UberBastid

UberBastid Well-Known Member

I smoke MJ every day.
    Every evening, in my favorite chair, I burn a bowl and drink a double whiskey.
    Have for decades and will till I die.

Had a job once not too long ago where it was the company policy to piss-test if there was ANY kind of accident involving an employee. I mean, immediately. Manager will walk up to you and tell you to get in his car.

I was moving a car in the body shop, and ... oops, bumped into another car. Prolly (our cost) $100 in damage.
    AS SOON as I got out of the car I went to MY car and drove to the nearest ER. Told them that I was in an accident at work (workers comp) and I felt like I might have twisted my neck and shoulder. I was given two weeks off and even BETTER drugs than what I had at home. Later that afternoon got a call from my manager threatening to fire me for not going with him to get tested.
    Called a Workers Comp atty and she told me to come see her RFN. I did.
    Advice for atty was to not talk to work again, and pray that they do fire me. They didn't, too bad. I went back to work four weeks later (took an extra two weeks off for the stressful call from my manager).
    Went to doctor every week for the duration of my employment with them for 'follow up care' and got a recommendation from another doc to use MJ for 'pain relief and muscle spasm'. Those appts (during work hours) were expensive for them.
    Worked for them for a year after that. They finally offered me $10k if I resigned and signed a release of liability. I talked with lawyer and she wanted $2k. I countered to boss, ''make it $10k PLUS my lawyer bill of $2k and we got a deal." They took it.
    And I use MJ every night, burn a bowl and nurse a double whiskey. Every night. That's my medicine.

LAS0023 likes this.
  19. Strange Fruit

Driving:
    UberX
    According to our offical grownup here, u should have chose to work where they don't test. The official grown up doesn't seem perceptive enuff to realize the employers have most of the power in our society, or he likes it that way. "Choice". That's a funny one. Technically true, to the autistic pedant's point of view, but really? 100 years ago the employers said the same about all the vicious **** u had to put up with to have a job. They'd say "u have the choice to work somewhere else". Of course, when citizens fought the nat'l guard came and busted some heads. People died so we could have a little protection from that power imbalance, but official grownups are still siding with the employers. I smoked weed last week. Must be why I made a mistake today. That's the mentality behind drug testing. And "the employer wants it, if u want employment u go along with whatver u 'agreed' to".

20. UberBastid

UberBastid Well-Known Member

Yea, well, I look at it different - as you may be able to tell.
    I don't believe that going back on my word to Satan is a sin. I believe that lying to an evil massa is not a bad thing. That gives me the freedom to cheat on my taxes and plead not guilty to a speeding ticket that I am in reality guilty of. Both of those things allow me to fulfill the real responsibilities I have to take care of myself and my family.
    I do what I need to do to feed, house and shelter and protect myself and my family. And I have to operate within the system that I survive in. I don't make the rules - but I sure break em when I have to.