• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Should uber allow you to change ratings after a tip in app?

DontGoToPaterson

So many times I'll give aower star rating to a pax going to New York or airport with no cash tip and later on get a delay tip in the app. Should uber allow you to adjust your ratings after an in app tip

NGOwner

No. A tip is not required and should not effect a passenger's rating.
Completely disagree.

Tipping is common in all service industries: hospitality, travel, and food service and transportation. We operate in a service industry and the news is filled with stories of the compensation of TNC drivers. Look at all of the drivers who get tips: shuttle drivers (particularly if they handle luggage), limo drivers, taxi drivers. We should, too.

The absolute best a non-tipper can get ratings-wise from me is a 4 on Lyft. If I get a min-fare from a Lyft passenger who does not tip the best they can get is a 3 (I never want to see their cheapskate asses again). I re-rate every passenger to a 5 that tips (even min-fare riders), as long as they tip within the 24 hour window. If not, tough tittie, live with the four. Cash is King: you can be an ass, but if you're an ass with the cash (and you share it with me), welcome aboard.

I don't have that capability on Uber. So I have to default to 5, but I dock for other things (making me wait, etc.).

I would love to see Uber and Lyft add more information about the requests:

1) How many rides a rider has taken.
2) How long a rider has been active on the platform.
3) Average total fare across last 10 rides.
4) Percentage of rides tipped over the last 10 rides.
5) Average tip amount.

There'd be some real fast rider behavior modification ....

[NG]Owner

Last edited:

Declineathon

No. A tip is not required and should not effect a passenger's rating.
Ok, what If restaurant servers were allowed to rate their customers do you think that they would not rate them low if they did not tip
Post automatically merged:

Ok, what If restaurant servers were allowed to rate their customers do you think that they would not rate them low if they did not tip
Or better yet what if servers didn't get any tips at all and just got a couple of stars to let them know they're doing a great job and they had to pay for their own food, cook it up in their own kitchen, and serve it to customers that the app provided.

see how ridiculous your comment is

Kyanar

They do don’t they?
That's not available in the US, I'm told. We're lucky to still have it in Australia.

Try it out - go to https://help.uber.com/partners/section/trip-issues-and-adjustments?nodeId=52bc7e57-ff96-415a-a357-ba5ca0b39cd9 and then select the city selector at the top right and change it to Miami or something - half the "Issue with a rider" options vanish (I wonder if it works in reverse for US drivers selecting the city selector and saying they're in Sydney?)

UberBeemer

So many times I'll give aower star rating to a pax going to New York or airport with no cash tip and later on get a delay tip in the app. Should uber allow you to adjust your ratings after an in app tip
I think rating based on tips is not as effective as people think. If they were otherwise respectful, pleasant people, i give them 5.

Who is John Galt?

Try it out - go to....

I’ll take your word for it... thanks for the response. I’m not really so interested that I will undertake research and analysis on a feature that does or doesn’t exist in another country.

Hence my post question
“They do don’t they?”
Apparent answer -
“No”.

wicked

Or better yet what if servers didn't get any tips at all and just got a couple of stars to let them know they're doing a great job and they had to pay for their own food, cook it up in their own kitchen, and serve it to customers that the app provided.

see how ridiculous your comment is

You also don't really get to rate a restaurant server and affect their ability to remain employed. Unless they royally @@@@ up, the restaurant manager makes you feel heard then slaps the server on the back with a smile. Apples and oranges

APettyJ

They do don’t they?
No. If you choose that option it will basically tell you, "No, you cannot, but here is why you should feel good anyway..."

Completely disagree.

Tipping is common in all service industries: hospitality, travel, and food service and transportation. We operate in a service industry and the news is filled with stories of the compensation of TNC drivers. Look at all of the drivers who get tips: shuttle drivers (particularly if they handle luggage), limo drivers, taxi drivers. We should, too.

The absolute best a non-tipper can get ratings-wise from me is a 4 on Lyft. If I get a min-fare from a Lyft passenger who does not tip the best they can get is a 3 (I never want to see their cheapskate asses again). I re-rate every passenger to a 5 that tips (even min-fare riders), as long as they tip within the 24 hour window. If not, tough tittie, live with the four. Cash is King: you can be an ass, but if you're an ass with the cash (and you share it with me), welcome aboard.

I don't have that capability on Uber. So I have to default to 5, but I dock for other things (making me wait, etc.).

I would love to see Uber and Lyft add more information about the requests:

1) How many rides a rider has taken.
2) How long a rider has been active on the platform.
3) Average total fare across last 10 rides.
4) Percentage of rides tipped over the last 10 rides.
5) Average tip amount.

There'd be some real fast rider behavior modification ....

[NG]Owner
Regarding your first request, Lyft does tell you how long someone has been a rider. It's the first thing I check whenever I see a highly-rated rider, especially a 5.0.

wicked

Honestly if you read pax comments on any articles about Rideshare your opinion is forever tainted.

Declineathon

Safely driving someone from point A to point B in one piece without a crash is not as important as walking across a hall to bring hungry people overpriced food they could have made at home ?
Well. When you put it that way.

Funny thing. Got a single beer at the bar. Overpriced at $11.

Milenial bartender, she just looked like a rideshare non tipper. So, .... yeah.

SHRPR

Tipping is common in all service industries: hospitality, travel, and food service and transportation. We operate in a service industry...
I agree with you that rideshare is a service industry. What I am unsure of is what people are doing to earn a tip. Just doing the job doesn't earn the tip. At least right now, while it isn't the social norm to tip rideshare like you do hospitality, food service and yes, cab drivers.

Uber can help with this, but they wont. So awareness that stiffing your Uber driver is just like stiffing your waiter is key to changing these norms. The faceless transaction will make this difficult.