Should the government stop all flights coming from China

Should Australia stop all flights coming from China?

• Yes

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters

al galenz

Agree and my understanding of coronavirus is fatalities mainly effect older people with underlying conditions.
I know they are exceptions like that whistleblower doctor who was detained by Chinese police when he tried to alert online about virus.

International cases are more verifiable imo and only 2 deaths in 6 weeks is hardly a cause for concern.

If that changes then I will change my view.
Post automatically merged:

They are now reporting 60000 cases with over 1300 fatalities so mortality rate just over 2%.

Apparently,Chinese changed the methodology of reporting cases.

God news what the true number of cases is in China and that is why international figures a better barometer imo.
Maybe the 3rd mutation has started

Roomyjazz

How about if you stay in Wuhan a week , and I stay in USA a month ?
Who know how many people killed by virus ,and how many killed by China gov.
Let’s put this back into a little bit of perspective

Influzena is a bigger risk ,

should we ban all flights from the USA?

This hysteria on corona virus is just stupid 🙀

MrKool

As of 1 January 2020, the population of China was estimated to be 1,408,526,449

Based on RustaSams figures of 1100 dead and 45000 infected that's 0.0000780958001023% dead and 0.0031948281860% infected

Meanwhile the % of hysterical Uber drivers has risen from 10% to 45.47%

View attachment 414951
Every life lost is IMPORTANT. So in order for you to call this a problem how many more need to get killed. Would say the unlikely crazy figure of 10% of 1.4 billion lives be enough for you to become alarmed. It would still leave 1.26 billion in China. I'm guessing you might need a figure thats much bigger because even a country of that size 1.26 billion is too big for your imagination.

1,350 dead
almost 60,000 infections
Thanks for keeping everyone informed.

Sandhills

Yes every life is important.. so is not catastrophising but to look at the facts which is what the post was about

We live and we die that's our fate, from many different causes..because this is a new cause it attracts a lot of attention, don't confuse that attention with its deadliness

At the moment the effect of corona virus is;

'Dr Mackay said his understanding was about 20-25 per cent of coronavirus cases in China were considered severe.

He said in the hundreds of cases outside China, the severity was "mild to very mild", and there were more resources put into treating the affected patients. '

'Because it is so new and none of us have immunity to it, if it did go around the world it would cause a lot of mild infections in people, which means people miss work and kids get sick.

"Even if only a small percentage get sick and need to go to hospital, that will put a strain on the health system.'

So you can see the fear is that it is highly contagious and takes a lot of resources to treat because there isn't a treatment protocol so that would flood the medical system so others with more severe things may miss out on treatment

Last edited:

Sandhills

Here's another side to the sensationalism

She said the Sinophobia ranged from subtle displays of fear, to more vulgar outbursts on the street.
"I will take my seat on the train and the person next to me will stand up and move away," she said.
"One boy sat down next to me and I heard his mother say: 'don't sit next to her, she might be sick'.
"It's really upset me."

Co-owner of Chinatown's Shark Fin House Gabriel Chan, one of Melbourne's most popular restaurants, cried when he was forced to close his doors after more than 30 years on Sunday.
Mr Chan said cliental had plummeted by 80 per cent, with more than 40 staff and 10 casuals laid off.

macbri

This is the economic effect in Australia of the Coronavirus.

How many businesses will close down/ jobs lost in hospitality sector due to people having an irrational fear of this virus.
Other sectors will also feel the heat but hospitality will have immediate impact.

The facts are there hasn’t been a new confirmed case of the virus in Australia for a few days now with 15 in total and 6 of those fully recovered.

I think Victoria only 4 confirmed cases yet Chinese restaurant above 80% drop in business.

Krusty

This is the economic effect in Australia of the Coronavirus.

How many businesses will close down/ jobs lost in hospitality sector due to people having an irrational fear of this virus.
Other sectors will also feel the heat but hospitality will have immediate impact.

The facts are there hasn’t been a new confirmed case of the virus in Australia for a few days now with 15 in total and 6 of those fully recovered.

I think Victoria only 4 confirmed cases yet Chinese restaurant above 80% drop in business.
A business must be in a very precarious position already if it cannot survive a few weeks of a down turn, just like a frail pensioner that gets the flu and dies its probably the final blow in an already weakened state.
Similar to driving uber, if we suffer a downturn I'm like meh whatever and take a month off, doesn't matter to me but for someone loaded up with debt that lives week to week its a death sentence.

HomerPigeon

but for someone loaded up with debt that lives week to week its a death sentence
True that. Same applies to the consulting world. You should always have 3 months worth of living expenses behind you just in case you land on bad times.

macbri

A business must be in a very precarious position already if it cannot survive a few weeks of a down turn, just like a frail pensioner that gets the flu and dies its probably the final blow in an already weakened state.
Similar to driving uber, if we suffer a downturn I'm like meh whatever and take a month off, doesn't matter to me but for someone loaded up with debt that lives week to week its a death sentence.
The consumer economy is not in good shape at moment ,just think of all the retail closures announced recently and Myer share price has taken a tanking over last year.

I don’t think many would be able to sustain 80% drop in turnover over a few weeks-restaurants still have lease,wages,electricity,council taxes etc etc to pay irrespective of how many people coming through the door.

On an individual level,Australia is one of highest debt consumer nations in the world.

There is an awful lot of people out there living week to week but positive at moment unemployment is low so weekly pay cheques are coming in.

However if Coronavirus has a nasty economic effect on Australia then we will all be impacted by the virus.

al galenz

Pollution killed almost a million people in China every year, many people in China have lung problems due to prolonged exposure to toxic air pollution, maybe this virus is just the last nail on the coffin. Maybe we need not worry or panic about this virus after all.

macbri

Latest stats from China is that they double counted 108 dead so have now removed them from fatality list.

Figures from China are not reliable but international figures a better indicator.

3 deaths internationally from a virus that has been with us nearly 6 weeks.

MrKool

A business called "sharkfin" soup must be struggling because sharkfin soup is banned in Australia. It's customers only like exotic shet.

It must be a very tough life to be any animal living in asia. Probably caged at the markets ready to be bbqed live. If an tiny slug lived down the bottom of the ocean, i'm sure they'll find it and eat it live, or boil it live to make soup. I wonder if they treat humans any better in so called rehabilitation camps.

Krusty

A business called "sharkfin" soup must be struggling because sharkfin soup is banned in Australia. It's customers only like exotic shet.

It must be a very tough life to be any animal living in asia. Probably caged at the markets ready to be bbqed live. If an tiny slug lived down the bottom of the ocean, i'm sure they'll find it and eat it live, or boil it live to make soup. I wonder if they treat humans any better in so called rehabilitation camps.
I watched a little bit of a show about their animal markets but had to turn it off because it was too distressing :frown: