Should Taxi-Drivers be allowed to carry out UBER-X work in their Cabs?

Akong

In accordance with the Point to Point regulations 2017, I say bring it on and let's utilise all of the dormant cabs sitting idle. In return Uber should impose a higher commission of 33%.

More $$$ for Uber and greater choice for the travelling public. It's all about the customer. Ladies and gentlemen keep your comments relevant and respectful.

lespaul

my rider app has Uber Taxi (metered) as an option. what cabbie in their right mind wouldn't be using Uber as a source of rides

any Uber Taxi folk on here to elaborate?

everythingsuber

No. Uber can rot in hell and die. Seriously though what cab driver in their right mind would compete against themselves. You want to do Uber at cab rates we can talk.

lespaul

No. Uber can rot in hell and die. Seriously though what cab driver in their right mind would compete against themselves. You want to do Uber at cab rates we can talk.
a cab driver that wants to increase margins by cutting costs

its not only the top line that counts.

turn left

my rider app has Uber Taxi (metered) as an option. what cabbie in their right mind wouldn't be using Uber as a source of rides

any Uber Taxi folk on here to elaborate?

"taxi folk" on here?? lololol these morons are illterate, that's why they don't know how to use the two sat navs in their taxis when pax want them to.

Last edited by a moderator:

[email protected]

I don't think uber drivers have too much to worry about if this happens. Most pax I talk to say that they will never go back to a taxi even if uber rides become more expensive. They are fed up with dirty cabs, rude drivers, bad routes, or being ripped off by the cab drivers. That is why they switched to uber.
A taxi booked by uber app is still a taxi.

Last edited:

Akong

I don't think uber drivers have too much to worry about if this happens. Most pax I talk to say that they will never go back to a taxi even if uber rides become more expensive. They are fed up with dirty cabs, rude drivers, bad routes, or being ripped off by the cab drivers. That is why they switched to uber.
A taxi booked why uber app is still a taxi.
Are you also aware that the majority of Uber drivers are ex-cabbies.....

Another Uber Driver

my rider app has Uber Taxi (metered) as an option. what cabbie in their right mind wouldn't be using Uber as a source of rides any Uber Taxi folk on here to elaborate?

I will elaborate. I was one of the first cab drivers that Uber signed up for Uber Taxi in the Capital of the Noonyetidd Staytes uMurrica (there is a guy below quoted who insists that I am an "illiterate moron", so we do not want to make him look bad, reckon?) In this market, Uber Taxi goes for the rates established by the regulators. The driver keys in the metered fare at the end of the trip. There is no surge pricing. In additon, Uber addresses the demand for wheelchair accessible services through the Uber Taxi level in this market. That is going to change, as some busybody do-gooders are suing them over it. Odds are that they will have to keep the Uber Taxi wheelchair services available, as they are having a hard time attracting drivers of the specially equipped vans at the UberX level. The TNCs (Uber and Lyft) pay a one per-cent tax to the gubbermint of the Kapeetull Sitty uv thuh Noonyetidd Staytesuh Murrica on every trip that ends or begins there. That tax is earmarked to fund wheelchair accessible taxicabs. Uber figures that since it is paying for these accessibles, it should get some use out of them. I am hard put to blame Uber on that one.

I do not disagree with Original Poster. When Uber first appeared here, all that it had were the limousines: Uber Black. We cab drivers hated it, but, when Uber put out the word that it was offering Uber Taxi, I went to sign up for it. To this day, I can not understand why drivers do not use it, I use it. I like it. I will continue to use it. I am happy to have any customer. I do not care who gives the customer to me. In fact, when Uber had the onboarding even at a restaurant here, they bought us lunch and made their pitch. I said to the Uber guy: "Let me get this straight: you want to give me customers and it is not going to cost me ANYthing?"

He told me that I had it correctly. I had to ask him: "Why would I not want this?".

He could not understand, either, but there were some drivers at the event who balked. I did not understand it then. I do not understand it now.

Customers from other parts of the U.S. of A. where Uber Taxi is not available have asked me about getting it there. I tell them that they should let Uber know that they want it and, if enough people ask for it, Uber might launch it. We do not have it many places in the U.S. of A. The only place that you have it in Australia is Sydney.

No plain and simple,thats why people take uber because of cabs

That is not necessarily the case. In many cases, people did anything but take ground transportation for hire because they could not get it. Uber has brought it to them.

Seriously though what cab driver in their right mind would compete against themselves. You want to do Uber at cab rates we can talk.

I do not know what happens in Australia, but, in the Capital of the U.S. of A., Uber Taxi is Uber at cab rates.

"taxi folk" on here?? lololol these morons are illterate,

Eye-mun uhliterrutt moe-ronn butt eye teye reel hart 2 dryfe me tek-see en no wear eyem gow-wing sew eye doan 1/2-2 lurn how2 yooz know Jippy Yess.

Most pax I talk to say that they will never go back to a taxi. They are fed up with dirty cabs, rude drivers, bad routes, or being ripped off by the cab drivers. That is why they switched to uber.
A taxi booked why uber app is still a taxi.

We have heard similar stories here about how awful cabs supposedly are. In the Capital of the U.S. of A., we kept telling the politicians, the regulators and the fourth estate that it was the illegal, unlicenced drivers who were responsible for the abuses. They would not listen to us. What is funny is that when UberX started here, the illegals all went to drive there. There are fewer complaints against cab drivers and all of the complaints that used to be made about taxicabs are now showing up as complaints about Uber and Lyft drivers.

turn left

We have heard similar stories here about how awful cabs supposedly are. In the Capital of the U.S. of A., we kept telling the politicians, the regulators and the fourth estate that it was the illegal, unlicenced drivers who were responsible for the abuses. They would not listen to us. What is funny is that when UberX started here, the illegals all went to drive there. There are fewer complaints against cab drivers and all of the complaints that used to be made about taxicabs are now showing up as complaints about Uber and Lyft drivers.

HAHAHAHAHA funniest thing I've heard all day followed closely by the subtle "supposedly are". Keep telling yourself that chum. What 5Stars said was spot on. But don't worry, your mum still loves you.

Another Uber Driver

HAHAHAHAHA funniest thing I've heard all day followed closely by the subtle "supposedly are". Keep telling yourself that chum. What 5Stars said was spot on. But don't worry, your mum still loves you.

You have no idea how delighted I am to be made aware that your are so familiar with the situation in this market.

One thing that I did forget to mention is that I do drive both Uber Taxi and UberX. I have a different car for UberX, as both local law and Uber require that,

What is funny is TNC elitism.

(TNC: Transportation Network Company: Uber and Lyft. The first use of that of which I am aware was by the Commonwealth of Virginia)

If a taxi driver can do GoCatch economy rideshare work in their cab, it seems to make sense that they can also do UberX work.

One year, or so, back, Uber did offer a one day experiment that it was going to let Uber Taxi drivers run UberX trips. They gave us a pretty good guarantee. I would have been willing to participate, but Uber failed to do its HW to deal with the regulatory problems not just in the District of Columbia, but also with the two neighbouring states, The State of Maryland and the Commonwealth of Virginia. I do not know if you have similar hurdles in Australia when state or city lines are crossed.

Bath

In accordance with the Point to Point regulations 2017, I say bring it on and let's utilise all of the dormant cabs sitting idle. In return Uber should impose a higher commission of 33%.

More $$$ for Uber and greater choice for the travelling public. It's all about the customer. Ladies and gentlemen keep your comments relevant and respectful.
There is already an Uber-Taxi app in Sydney. As to Uber-X in cabs your argument has merit.

lespaul

Silver cabs are allowed in the greenzone pickup at domestic. This annoys me, but if it means blurring the lines between taxi and rideshare even further so that bus lanes and taxi ranks become ride share services then I'm all for it. I'd love to think taxi owners have to now monitor their drivers for earning Uber income on the side with their vehicles.