Should I throw the towel or wait for deactivation

jgiun1

Start tipping the passenger's

Just keep at it and it will rise with more rides....just whatever you did the first rides, completely do the opposite. If you're talking during ride, shut up....you might have radio up too loud, bad radio station on......just totally flip it

reg barclay

I was at 4.63 at that point but by taking the advice of the board i am now at 4.89. I dont think you have to worry before 100 trips.
IIRC my rating was lower than that at that point, and I also took advice here at avoiding the types of pax and scenarios that often lead to low ratings. Now those things are second nature, and TBH the kinds of pax/scenarios that lead to low ratings are usually not the rides I'm looking for anyway. I also think I became more confident with time, and that helps with ratings.

TomTheAnt

As mentioned already, it's not all about the pax. You need to adjust yourself, the time/place when/where you drive etc. etc. One low rating is weighing a lot more at the beginning, anyway. IIRC, Uber calculates the rating based on your last 500 and Lyft the last 100 rides, so once you get more rides in and you develop your own niche, the bad ones start falling out and will be replaced with better ones.

UberBastid

I had that attitude after about the first 30 days.
I felt like "Hey, I am doing the best I can. I can't do 'better' because they already getting my best. If that's not good enough for 'the boss' when he's paying me less than minimum wage, then he should hire someone who can do more for less."
And, I kept on doing a good job.
Turns out it was good enough to last for three years, over 5k rides, 4.84 GPA.

I've lost a lot of minimum wage jobs, and I always seem to survive somehow.
The boss has gotta pay me to GAF; otherwise, I just do my job.

Or, as I told a boss once, "It's hard for me to give a shit about this company when it is demonstrated to me every day that this company does not give a shit about me."
"Really?" he says. "Why do you feel that way?"
"Oh, I dunno. Maybe its the working conditions, the lack of management, the lack of pay, the poor morale ... lemme think about it and I'll give you a list."

Oscar Levant

My rating is 4.55 with only 50+ trips. I only do Uber to pay for my vídeo games. No matter how you treat the pax if they have a bad day they will rates you low. Doing Uber shouldn’t be your main source of income. that is me.

It will go up, just keep driving. Mine sunk to 4.6 quickly in the first week I began, but it slowerly floated upward it's up to 4.89 as of yesterday. It will slowly float upward. Patience.

You're doing something that is alienating passengers. Take a good look> Car dirty? Are you cheerful? Are you injecting yourself uninvited at passengers' conversations? Body Oder/ personal hygiene? Driving habits? Texting while driving? playing music customer doesn't like or want to hear ? (except that At night I play cassette era rock and roll, and most at might like it. African Americans and young persons seem to want hip hop, which I can't stand, but I will play it ). What I found out is that being quiet is better than being chatty, and only talking if they want to talk. If they don't want to talk, dont talk. Quiet is better, and my rating starting going up. I'm a chatty guy, and being quiet is something I had to actually work at. But, when they first get in, a nice cheerful greeting is a good idea.

One thing is absolutely certain: giving freebies DOES NOT improve your rating. I do supply charge chords, though.

Last edited:

Taksomotor

"Oh, I dunno. Maybe its the working conditions, the lack of management, the lack of pay, the poor morale ... lemme think about it and I'll give you a list."
Or, it could be just you - lazy, unmotivated, unintelligent, entitled. That is my experience anyway. Often when someone complains about their job, it is them who is the problem. Especially if it happens at every job they take.

touberornottouber

It could just be bad luck where you are getting crappy passengers. Otherwise just make sure to cover the basics:

1. Try not to say anything which will piss off the passenger.
2. Keep the vehicle clean. When getting out always check the back seat.
3. Ask the customer if they have a preferred route or if we should just use the way U/L suggests as best.
4. If you have to say "NO" to the customer for anything and have a chance to do so, cancel the ride. Taking it almost guarantees a 1* as the customer will retaliate for you saying no. (really)

Some other things to try:

1. Avoid bar closing time.
2. Stick to the day hours.
3. Be friendly and greet the customer but don't talk too much. Take their lead on if they want to speak.

UberBastid

Or, it could be just you - lazy, unmotivated, unintelligent, entitled. That is my experience anyway. Often when someone complains about their job, it is them who is the problem. Especially if it happens at every job they take.

It could be me, but, I am not lazy, or unmotivated or unintelligent or entitled.
Anybody that knows me knows that.

But, I could have a bad attitude -- in fact, according to many bosses I've had, I do.
I believe in human dignity. I believe in MY ability to support myself and my family.
And I am not willing to kiss anybody's ass to be their slave.

I believe in paying a man a fair days wages for a fair days work.
And, according to many 'bosses', THAT IS a bad attitude.

But, it is mine. I own it.

Taksomotor

But, I could have a bad attitude -- in fact, according to many bosses I've had, I do.
I believe in human dignity. I believe in MY ability to support myself and my family.
And I am not willing to kiss anybody's ass to be their slave.

I believe in paying a man a fair days wages for a fair days work.
And, according to many 'bosses', THAT IS a bad attitude.

But, it is mine. I own it.
Yes, it is a bad attitude. When you are providing a service for pay, you are not a slave, but you are expected to deliver what they are paying for. Hence you need to meet that expectation. Fair wages is relative. Any boss will only pay you what the job is worth in the market. If he can find someone else who can do this job with results meeting the expectations for less money - that is the fair rate. He won't pay to you more, just because you need to support a family. In other words the job has to be worth the pay.

DriverMark

The freaking 1 star was because I missed the house by 3 houses and he didn’t like it.

This is where you make sh*t up in your conversation while picking them up..... like: "Hello, I'm Velos1, can I verify your name?"...... get his name.... "So sorry I went a bit past your house. My GPS was lagging a bit and I drove past before I noticed". or ... "Oh man, so sorry you had to walk a bit further, the PIN on the map looked like it was up here a little more."

Simple conversation like this will let the PAX know you made a bit of a mistake and are sorry. And you can even open it up to GPS sometimes does wonky things, etc etc.

ninfiction

The freaking 1 star was because I missed the house by 3 houses and he didn’t like it.

I got 2 in one week after about a month of driving. I have no idea why. I assume 2 paxholes wanted free rides. Can't please everyone, just keep on keeping on.

RideshareUSA

My rating is 4.55 with only 50+ trips. I only do Uber to pay for my vídeo games. No matter how you treat the pax if they have a bad day they will rates you low. Doing Uber shouldn’t be your main source of income. that is me.
Are at least 50% of your earnings being reinvested into water, candy, gum, sanitizer, chargers, etc?...NO! WTH? Well, the answer to your question is obvious. Riders deserve the best of everything, and then some!