Should I Pay?

outlier

Hi guys, I wonder whether I have to pay a ticket that I received for my previous totaled car for not having a vehicle sticker. I kinda don't wanna pay $250 but I am afraid it's gonna bite me in the ass later on. And just last night while working on Lyft's 7 rides between 8-11pm for $35, I got a redlight violation. I shouldn't have been nervous about pax being in a hurry. I know that many of you have warned us not to go along with their poor time management, but I didn't know what to do or how to respond when they said they had to be there in x minutes. I said I'd try my best but I felt that they were watching me every move, every turn. They simply breathed on my neck and sighed. Another $100 for the city of Chicago.

isosconfig

Well, not gonna say, I know know better and you should have done this or that. That is always the worst situation, and many, like me can be susceptible to that and worst. See, it goes beyond ration and reason. Not at my best, becomes a game...a point of pride (about that self-esteem thing) Not only do I want to please this total stranger and them to like me in return. I'm the best damn driver in the world and I can do that. Hell, I can do anything. Damn fool and a dodo bird me own mom would say. Now. I think car ticket can bite you. But you can pay up if and when it does. Check your chit online yourself. Ask Laker. Speed ticket. Ouch. First one? Freebie. Otherwise fight. I'd plain tell the judge. I was under duress. Did the best I could. Worth a shot.

Going forward. Being the man I am and the driver I is now. I'd laugh so hard. Cutx that chit out right from jump: I dont "do" fast only smart and safe. But dont fear, there are like 100 dudes (within a mile) happy to zippitydoda for u. Soon as you cancel this ride ma'am. Ta ta!

And they wouldnt be in such a hellfired hurry if they knew they had to fight uber insurance for.an aspirin even it they are on life support at hospital.

Last edited:

blackjackross

Hi guys, I wonder whether I have to pay a ticket that I received for my previous totaled car for not having a vehicle sticker. I kinda don't wanna pay $250 but I am afraid it's gonna bite me in the ass later on. And just last night while working on Lyft's 7 rides between 8-11pm for $35, I got a redlight violation. I shouldn't have been nervous about pax being in a hurry. I know that many of you have warned us not to go along with their poor time management, but I didn't know what to do or how to respond when they said they had to be there in x minutes. I said I'd try my best but I felt that they were watching me every move, every turn. They simply breathed on my neck and sighed. Another $100 for the city of Chicago.
Newbie mistake. NEVER, EVER give a rat's ass about the rider's time management issues. For example, yesterday I get to a pick-up location in north Rogers Park. The rider makes me wait almost 5 minutes and shows up just about the time I was going to cancel. He tells me there's another rider going with us and stands half-way in and out of my car with the door open to make sure I don't leave. I was willing to wait a couple of minutes since we were going on a long ride from Rogers Park to Union Station. The 2d rider makes me wait another 3 minutes-----I decided then and there that I was eventually going to 1-star them.

The 2d rider shows up and just as he was about to get in he says he's got to go back up to the apartment because he thinks he might have left the coffee pot on. I wait another 4 minutes. So after waiting 12 minutes, they get in and the rider who made us wait 12 minutes has the balls to tell me that they are running late to catch a Metra to Downer's Grove. They tried to put the responsibility for being d-bags on me. I was tempted to rant at them but took a passive-aggressive approach instead. I made every effort to miss green lights, went just below the speed limit on LSD and took the slowest route possible.
The idiots got frantic and started to yell at me to hurry up. I simply ignored them and told them that I was doing the best I could. They ended up being 10 minutes late for the train. Most satisfied feeling I've had in a long time.

Don't ever take responsibility for someone else's time management issues. Don't let them put the stress on you---put it back on them.

outlier

Well, not gonna say, I know know better and you should have done this or that. That is always the worst situation, and many, like me can be susceptible to that and worst. See, it goes beyond ration and reason. Not at my best, becomes a game...a point of pride (about that self-esteem thing) Not only do I want to please this total stranger and them to like me in return. I'm the best damn driver in the world and I can do that. Hell, I can do anything. Damn fool and a dodo bird me own mom would say. Now. I think car ticket can bite you. But you can pay up if and when it does. Check your chit online yourself. Ask Laker. Speed ticket. Ouch. First one? Freebie. Otherwise fight. I'd plain tell the judge. I was under duress. Did the best I could. Worth a shot.

Going forward. Being the man I am and the driver I is now. I'd laugh so hard. Cutx that chit out right from jump: I dont "do" fast only smart and safe. But dont fear, there are like 100 dudes (within a mile) happy to zippitydoda for u. Soon as you cancel this ride ma'am. Ta ta!

And they wouldnt be in such a hellfired hurry if they knew they had to fight uber insurance for.an aspirin even it they are on life support at hospital.
thank you for your thought. i was just tired last night and that was my last ride. i had been well behavedwith the driving after getting a few tickets doing uber. i told myself i would not get another ticket, but there it was last night. of course it was me making that decision to just try to run and i might make it. but i felt so uncomfortable when the rider said they they were in a hurry. i didn't try to please them but having them watch me for every move, it's just stressful.

any tickets issued by the city need to paid bwell before June 1 next year or they will not renew your Tnp Chauffeurs Licence, and you will be deactivated.
thank you lakersfan1. i kinda know that i have to pay, but was hoping there mught be a lopphole for the car that no longer existed anymore :frown:

outlier

Newbie mistake. NEVER, EVER give a rat's ass about the rider's time management issues. For example, yesterday I get to a pick-up location in north Rogers Park. The rider makes me wait almost 5 minutes and shows up just about the time I was going to cancel. He tells me there's another rider going with us and stands half-way in and out of my car with the door open to make sure I don't leave. I was willing to wait a couple of minutes since we were going on a long ride from Rogers Park to Union Station. The 2d rider makes me wait another 3 minutes-----I decided then and there that I was eventually going to 1-star them.

The 2d rider shows up and just as he was about to get in he says he's got to go back up to the apartment because he thinks he might have left the coffee pot on. I wait another 4 minutes. So after waiting 12 minutes, they get in and the rider who made us wait 12 minutes has the balls to tell me that they are running late to catch a Metra to Downer's Grove. They tried to put the responsibility for being d-bags on me. I was tempted to rant at them but took a passive-aggressive approach instead. I made every effort to miss green lights, went just below the speed limit on LSD and took the slowest route possible.
The idiots got frantic and started to yell at me to hurry up. I simply ignored them and told them that I was doing the best I could. They ended up being 10 minutes late for the train. Most satisfied feeling I've had in a long time.

Don't ever take responsibility for someone else's time management issues. Don't let them put the stress on you---put it back on them.
thank you for sharing your experience. yes riders always put it on us to get faster. i tried to ignore but i kinda felt guilty when i missed the light. lesson learned :frown:

Reactions: MHR

Whatevs

I had unpaid parking tickets in chicago from a car that I didnt have for 4 years and got the boot on my car when i parked at ohare for a flight. Guessing they checked my new plates under my name and saw the unpaid tix from another plate/car. Also got my license suspended from a speeding ticket that I didnt pay from GA 3 years ago. Pay them now bc the fines added onto it will be even more later. It will catch up to you eventually.

outlier

I had unpaid parking tickets in chicago from a car that I didnt have for 4 years and got the boot on my car when i parked at ohare for a flight. Guessing they checked my new plates under my name and saw the unpaid tix from another plate/car. Also got my license suspended from a speeding ticket that I didnt pay from GA 3 years ago. Pay them now bc the fines added onto it will be even more later. It will catch up to you eventually.
thank you! i will definitely pay it off, but it's such a pain to give my hard earned money to the city of chicago for the traps they set up.

chitown73

I would take care of that ticket asap. They used to boot your car if you had 3+ tickets but a few yrs ago it was changed to 2 tickets and your car is added to the boot list. That being said I've seen quite a few City of Chicago Dept of Finance vans driving around looking for cars to boot.

TommyUber

Drive safe, that's not your fault, they have to pay the responsibility, not you!!! I never do this for my passenger, if I got any violation, they won't pay my ticket. Do you prefer a low rating or 100 dollars fee? Good luck!

xcnco

thank you for your thought. i was just tired last night and that was my last ride. i had been well behavedwith the driving after getting a few tickets doing uber. i told myself i would not get another ticket, but there it was last night. of course it was me making that decision to just try to run and i might make it. but i felt so uncomfortable when the rider said they they were in a hurry. i didn't try to please them but having them watch me for every move, it's just stressful.

thank you lakersfan1. i kinda know that i have to pay, but was hoping there mught be a lopphole for the car that no longer existed anymore :frown:

Yes, they can technically boot your new car for unpaid tickets.

Grand Master B

I would take care of that ticket asap. They used to boot your car if you had 3+ tickets but a few yrs ago it was changed to 2 tickets and your car is added to the boot list. That being said I've seen quite a few City of Chicago Dept of Finance vans driving around looking for cars to boot.

It's 3 tickets if under one year, and 2 tickets if older than a year.

you were nervous because you didn't know what to do. this may sound corny but i'm being dead serious; become an alpha driver like me. your ratings and tips might get slightly dinged but you'll soon find out most people respond WELL to confident & competent authority figure.

blackjackross

Last night I had to pull over and threaten to eject a rider for micromanaging my driving. He was in a hurry at 1AM to get to a bar that closed at 2AM----f**king loser.

First off, he wanted me to make an illegal U-turn near a 6-way intersection, then he got irritated that I waited for the light at a "No Turn on Red" intersection. Then he wanted me to take an alley as a shortcut.

I finally had it with this idiot. I pulled over and told him that if uttered one more word I would throw him out in the rain. Stared at him for a long time and asked him slowly---"Are we clear on that?" Not another peep out of the idiot. Of course, I 1-starred him. I don't think he even bothered rating me as I did not notice a ding on my rating-----not that I give a crap about it.

I will never, ever risk getting a ticket because some a-hole can't manage his/her time and tries to put the burden on me to make it up for them.

Mapnik

First of all, a red-light violation happens to the best of 'em. If you drive enough in the city, whether you have pax or not, you are bound to get nailed eventually, because there is often a fine line between hit/miss. Some general concepts you should know:
**If your front axle is over the line when the light turns red - you are fine, keep going. This means when the light turns yellow or it's a stale green, hit the gas to make sure that front axle gets over the line.
**Technically you get 4/10 of a second after the change from yellow to red, so you might find that will give you an extra few feet, but it's still best not to take the 4/10ths into account.
**If you stop and back up when you are nailed, you won't get the ticket.

Should you be overly cautious and slam on the brakes the moment you see a yellow light - I would say no, I'm sure some others will scream hysterically that you shouldn't push it. There's usually somebody right behind you, and many drivers seem to be oblivious to that a lot of the time. Frankly, if there's no camera I will run the red if I'm a second or two late, because @@@@ it, it's not dangerous unless somebody has rocket boosters coming off the red from your side. Also, this is why you want to look before you hit the gas when the light turns green, because in Chicago people will do what I just said regularly.

One more point about the red-lights: this is why people need to GET OUT INTO THE INTERSECTION on a left hand turn. Don't sit back behind the line like you are a good little rule-follower, because if there's no arrow you will not get to turn before it's at least yellow, and probably not before it turns red. If you are already in the intersection, you are good to go, and you also need to get as far out there as possible as a matter of courtesy to the drivers behind you, so that at least one or two of them can also get through (yes, believe it or not there are other people that also would like to turn left).

In speed zones, official policy says you can go up to 6 miles over the limit - so if it's a 30mph zone, you can push it up to 36 - I usually take it to 35.... the only speed violation I've had is 10+ over on W. Ogden... I'm pretty sure you won't actually get a ticket unless is 10+ over. For some reason I wasn't paying attention, but whatever, I just paid it and didn't worry too much more about it. It's an administrative violation with no consequences to your driving record.

As far as the TNP license - you only need to worry about Final Determinations. Pending tickets going through the process below will not hold up your TNP.

Here's the deal on tickets (I get parking tickets fairly routinely - the $50 variety - it's still cheaper to curb surf and get an occasional meter or street-cleaning ticket than it would be to pay a monthly fee somewhere to park:

You get a Notice of Violation first with a date sometime in the future, a "pay by" date - just file it away and wait. If you want to contest it, than do it online.
After a month or so, you will get a Notice of Determination, which is like a verdict - you get a new "pay by" date, typically about 25 days down the line. You can still contest it at that point, but now you would need to do it in person. You have up until the date on that letter to pay up or contest it, otherwise the fee doubles and you get a FINAL DETERMINATION. At that point you have no options.

You will not get the boot unless you have three unpaid final determinations out there, or 2 that are at least a year old.

So the way to handle tickets is to take it all the way up to the day prior to the final determination, which ends up being about 2 months time.

Last edited:

UberBeemer

You know the sticker issue will not be forgotten.

As far as the passenger's hurry, their bad planning doesn't constitute your emergency. Simply tell them that you can't afford a traffic ticket on what Uber pays, and the speed limit is not negotiable.

DaCoach

Ur the typical x driver! ! U work for free!!

Grand Master B

**If your front axle is over the line when the light turns red - you are fine, keep going. This means when the light turns yellow or it's a stale green, hit the gas to make sure that front axle gets over the line.
**Technically you get 4/10 of a second after the change from yellow to red, so you might find that will give you an extra few feet, but it's still best not to take the 4/10ths into account.

in chicago it's 3/10th of a second or .3 seconds.

Cheech

I got one in Lake County for 2/10ths of a second and disputed the fine, then researched how long it takes to blink which is approx 4/10ths of a second. I almost won the case until they looked up how fast I was going, doh!