Should I bother? Mesa/Tempe

NoLifeCoach

Hey Folks,

I've been curious as to whether I should start driving for Uber part time. I work full time 6:30am - 3pm M-F. I want to keep my full time job for insurance purposes and what not. However, I need something in addition to this to offset living expenses.

I just bought a 2015 Nissan Sentra Sedan, Black, Black tint, 6 speed Manual transmission, 500 miles.

I think this qualifies as UberX, although I'm not sure as I'm new to this. I live right off the 202 at Alma School.

Is it worth it to get started? I've read a lot about overhead expenses, and what to expect in costs.

Thank you in advance for any advice or consultation.

Jason

TakinItUpWithUber

Is it worth it to get started?
Absolutely not. Unless your retired with a full pension and/or independently wealthy. Uber has decreased the rates so much that you'll almost end up paying Uber to drive - no kiddin.

Here's and idea Jason. Hop in your nice new ride and head to the beaches of California!

Massirah

I stopped/quit after a year because I was only enhancing my debt instead of offsetting it. It sounds like you are in the same boat I was in, fwiw. I found a delivery job that I do part-time in the evening. No backseat drivers, drunks, need for"customer service", use of a company vehicle and much less stress....

You'll find plenty of complaints and a few "ignore the naysayers" by looking around at the countless threads in this forum asking nearly the same exact question.....

Last edited:

Tequila Jake

I'm usually one of the people that say "ignore the naysayers". However, a 2015 car with only 500 miles? Even part-time for Uber/Lyft, you can easily rack up 2-3000 miles per month and your car value is going to go down fast.

If you can work the right hours, you can easily make a couple of hundred dollars per week with DoorDash or Postmates and put a fraction of the miles on your car. Red Mountain and Alma School is outside any of DoorDash's areas but you're just north of the Tempe area. I don't know what Postmates' coverage is in that area though I'm told they're busy in Tempe and Scottsdale.

Massirah

Yeah you can thank Uber and the changes they've made over the past couple of years for the naysayers. But you know something you can only lead the horse to water...
The last rate cut and their load of bs that followed was the end for me. I've worked at plenty of places that downsized and made us work longer and harder for the same pay...but I couldnt swallow the "but you'll make more money because you'll be busier"' or worse the "we listened and adjusted the rates" load that did nothing to solve anything. I could go on, but I am now regurgitating the same complaints you can find in nearly every thread.

Teksaz

It makes my head explode when I read the LA and DC forums. These guys and gals are making anywhere from $200-$600 A DAY.

This is possible from Goober Metal incentives and Hourly Guarantees in addition to surge.

We don't get anything but $0.78/mile because Goober has all but eliminated surge by the continuous onboarding of thousands of new idiots that have drank the Kool-Aid, believing the lies Goober has brainwashed these people into believing.

I only drive early morning's and mid afternoon's and I find it almost impossible to make $100 in six to eight hours.

Basically I'm losing my azz everyday I drive after all expenses but it's a necessity right now to pay the bills. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

NothingLeftToLose

It makes my head explode when I read the LA and DC forums. These guys and gals are making anywhere from $200-$600 A DAY.

This is possible from Goober Metal incentives and Hourly Guarantees in addition to surge.

We don't get anything but $0.78/mile because Goober has all but eliminated surge by the continuous onboarding of thousands of new idiots that have drank the Kool-Aid, believing the lies Goober has brainwashed these people into believing.

I only drive early morning's and mid afternoon's and I find it almost impossible to make $100 in six to eight hours.

Basically I'm losing my azz everyday I drive after all expenses but it's a necessity right now to pay the bills. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
I feel ya. I can't believe how hard it is to scrape together a measly hundred bucks theses days ( at least for day drivers ). The rush hour surges are gone and the bulk of my rides are minfares. I'm going back to driving 6 days a week until the Fall just to make ends meet. This is bullshit. But not enough to go back to working call centers. Not yet anyway.

backstreets-trans

Uber is just paying them out of pocket to keep them from working for lyft. It's a price war for the drivers and it looks like uber might have won. Lyft has hired a firm that specializes in finding a buyer for their business.

http://fortune.com/2016/06/27/lyft-hires-investment-bank/

I hope it's not true but the evil uber has spent a lot of money to put lyft out of business.

Last edited:

UberFlunky

I say try it so you get it out of your system and you can go bad mouth Uber to the rest of the world. Sure, you will devalue your car and make yourself miserable for a while and have nothing to show for it. But, it is one of those things where no matter what people say to you, you are not going to believe them until you find out for yourself.

I can waste my time telling you Uber is an internet scam, but you will not believe me. You probably foolishly bought that car just so you could live the Uber dream. The wise thing to do would have been to keep driving your old car so you didn't need another job, but you bought the car already. Might as well double down on it so you know. Then you can go get a part time job on the weekends or change jobs like you should have done in the first place.

PHXTE

If your expenses are tight enough that you need to drive Uber to stay afloat, why did you buy a brand new car?

NoLifeCoach

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't buy a new car to drive for Uber. I don't need another job to make ends meet. I was simply looking for something to do for some extra cash. Vacation money per se.

NoLifeCoach

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I appreciate all the replies. It's pretty much what I thought. I'll check out those other suggestions and see what's out there. I just figured I'm off at 3:00 everyday. Why not make some money instead of sitting around. I'd rather make money than spend money, and that's why I don't do anything after work as it is