should CT drivers buy EZpass?

JaniceCT

I've been driving for awhile now. only once in a blue moon will i get a ride to NYC or Boston. I always have a $20 bill hidden somewhere in that rare chance i get one of these rides. There are no tolls in CT, but I've had a couple rides recently out of state and starting thinking about EZpass. should i even bother? I i get it and add money to it, do the funds have an expiration date if i don't use it for a few months ?

EcoboostMKS

Everyone should have one. You don't even want to know how much I spend on tolls every month. And no, they don't expire. They'll refund your money if you close your account and there's still funds on it.

Goyotes

Definitely must have an ez pass. No cost and you actually get a discount on the tolls with one. Any trip into NYC pax will be pissed if you don't have it and have to wait in a cash line which there are fewer and fewer of these days.

BINNER

That's like asking "should I have car insurance?". On top of it, you're risking lower ratings for not having it. It's expected these days.

CROWBOY

I use mine for personal use and Uber. You can have it set so it automatically deducts from a checking account, but toy have to use a credit card stored as a backup. You can actually use the debit card tied to the checking account, they have no way of telling unless you don't have enough in your account to cover tolls, but in that case you shouldn't be driving for Uber if you can't handle money.

UberRVADriver

If you get a New York E-Zpass (I think that's the default for CT residents, anyway) you can sign up for the option that requires no deposit and no prepaid tolls. It just deducts the actual tolls used from your bank account the next day. About as hassle-free as you can get, and there's a substantial discount for the Whitestone, Throgs Neck and Triboro bridges when you use a NY E-Zpass.

Squirming Like A Toad

There's a fee for the NY one. The MA one is totally free. But the discounts will be more than worth it on the Whitestone if you do a lot of airport runs.

EcoboostMKS

There's a fee for the NY one. The MA one is totally free. But the discounts will be more than worth it on the Whitestone if you do a lot of airport runs.

There isn't a fee for the ny ez pass unless this is something new.

The only way to receive discounts at the NY bridges is with a NY EZ pass, so if you plan on going over any of those bridges, get that EZ pass. The MA one isn't going to give you NY discounts.

UberRVADriver

I pay $1 per month maintenance fee for my NY E-Zpass. It's worth it to me for the daily toll deduction option, since I don't go through that many tolls down here in Virginia and don't like E-Zpass holding more of my money than they need to. (If I had a Virginia E-Zpass they require auto replenishment of $35 at a time).

EcoboostMKS

I pay $1 per month maintenance fee for my NY E-Zpass. It's worth it to me for the daily toll deduction option, since I don't go through that many tolls down here in Virginia and don't like E-Zpass holding more of my money than they need to. (If I had a Virginia E-Zpass they require auto replenishment of $35 at a time).

Just looked at my NY statement and there's no maintenance fee on mine. Just toll fees and that's it. Maybe there's a minimum spending amount and the fee gets waived. My account replenishes $440 at least once a month.