• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Short ride / small fare pax are the thirstiest

raisedoncereal

Seems the smaller the fare, the more eager the pax are to take advantage of any freebies offered.

I've even had one lady chug down a water and put 2 more in her purse on what was essentially a minfare ride. That's like, $0.35 - $0.40 (after CRV; but not including my time!) in costs! 10% of my gross income on that ride!

I was too scared of a downrate to tell her that's just @@@@ing greedy. But I did think to myself, "you @@@@ing @@@@@!"

Lord, please have mercy on my soul.

Last edited:

raisedoncereal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...but what about the POOL pax who believes premium bottled water and baggage service is required for 5* ???

Or the Express POOL pax who wants a direct pickup at his address?

All I can do is watch, smile, and restock the now-empty cupholders like the ant that I am.

One day I will grow a spine.

Last edited:

UberBeemer

Seems the smaller the fare, the more eager the pax are to take advantage of any freebies offered.

I've even had one lady chug down a water and put 2 more in her purse on what was essentially a minfare ride. That's like, $0.35 - $0.40 (after CRV; but not including my time!) in costs! 10% of my gross income on that ride!

I was too scared of a downrate to tell her that's just @@@@ing greedy. But I did think to myself, "you @@@@@!"

I really don't think "amenities" are in a driver's best interest. I have not had mints or water since my first few months. Riders used to clean out the mint cup, leave half empty water bottles, and jam wrappers in any crevices they could find. Several tried to walk off with my charging cables.

The non tippers were the worst.

raisedoncereal

I was once tipped $0.50 on a POOL ride to the airport.

Couldn't tell whether it was an intentional insult, or genuine sign of appreciation. Either way, it allowed me to break even on the last 4 or so bottles of water I gave out so I was happy.

Almost wanted to print out a screenshot, and frame / hang it. But I was too busy accepting the next mid-4* ping, like the ant that I am, to have time for that nonsense.

JohnnyBravo836

I was too scared of a downrate to tell her that's just @@@@ing greedy. But I did think to myself, "you @@@@ing @@@@@!"

How long you been doin' this, man?

NO FREEBIES. If they're thirsty, they should've brought water. Giving them free stuff only reinforces their preposterously inflated sense of entitlement.

Many of them will take your free water, take a couple of sips -- and leave the damned thing in the car, which you'll have to take care of before the next paxhole gets in. Same for candy wrappers; doing this only creates work for you. They won't "appreciate" it; they'll take it for granted.

More importantly, empty water bottles are an environmental nightmare. Billions and billions of them are created each year, and they're not really recyclable, despite what they try to tell you. Sometimes there's no getting around it, so we have to live with them to some extent. But no one should be doing anything that casually increases the number of plastic bottles floating around -- and "floating" is often the right word when they wind up in the water. It's appalling that Uber strongly encourages starting drivers to do this.

AveragePerson

I rather have one good water bottle than multiple of those no name water bottles.
Although I only use Express Pool, I feel nothing inappropriate taking amended as I see fit if it's being offered, naturally star ratings will go up in relation to the quality of the amendies as sign of appreciation.

JohnnyBravo836

@JohnnyBravo836 So you're saying I need Perrier or VOSS in glass bottles?
Since much of the country is having a heat wave, you might want to consider keeping some in a cooler and selling them for a substantial profit. That might make some sense. Anyone who is willing to buy one at a marked up price really wants it. "These are my waters -- I guess I could sell you one for $5 if you really want it." Cash only, obviously. :wink:

Last edited:

SFOspeedracer

...but what about the POOL pax who believes premium bottled water and baggage service is required for 5* ???

Or the Express POOL pax who wants a direct pickup at his address?

All I can do is watch, smile, and restock the now-empty cupholders like the ant that I am.

One day I will grow a spine.

Let them believe what they want to believe, they’re paying for a ride and that’s it. Avoiding pool avoids passengers who have those ridiculous expectations. Continuing to provide them enables it lol

Flier5425

When your expenses are greater than the additional revenue in you, as a business owner, should make the decision to reduce / eliminate the expenses. Those FREE amenities don't generate additional revenue to offset the costs in my experience and that of thousands of others on this site. Star ratings don't pay bills or generate increased revenue. Please consider this and make the wise decision, as a business owner, to eliminate these FREE items and focus on getting your PAX from point A to point B in a comfortable & safe way.

raisedoncereal

Yo quiero taco bell tho
Post automatically merged:

@SFOspeedracer your thoughts on non-consumables like charging cables etc?

@AveragePerson are you more likely to rate me as a lesser driver if the charging cables are not a premium brand that you feel you deserve?

Maybe we can come to a compromise and I can offer tap water from a jug into paper cups, that way you can have all the free water your minfare heart desires and I don't have to be mad about it.

You can then promise me a tip in the app for my generous services, and just like that, we're even

Last edited:

AveragePerson

Yo quiero taco bell tho

@SFOspeedracer your thoughts on non-consumables like charging cables etc?

@AveragePerson are you more likely to rate me as a lesser driver if the charging cables are not a premium brand that you feel you deserve?

Maybe we can come to a compromise and I can offer tap water from a jug into paper cups, that way you can have all the free water your minfare heart desires and I don't have to be mad about it.

You can then promise me a tip in the app for my generous services, and just like that, we're even

For chargers, I don't care if it's not premium brand whatever that is as long as it can do fast charging.

Paper cups in car? Lol.

I don't promise people tip in the app because I'm a man of my word.