Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Short ride / small fare pax are the thirstiest

3K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  oleole20 
#1 · (Edited)
Seems the smaller the fare, the more eager the pax are to take advantage of any freebies offered.

I've even had one lady chug down a water and put 2 more in her purse on what was essentially a minfare ride. That's like, $0.35 - $0.40 (after CRV; but not including my time!) in costs! 10% of my gross income on that ride!

I was too scared of a downrate to tell her that's just ****ing greedy. But I did think to myself, "you ****ing *****!"

Lord, please have mercy on my soul.

#3 · (Edited)
...but what about the POOL pax who believes premium bottled water and baggage service is required for 5* ???

Or the Express POOL pax who wants a direct pickup at his address?

All I can do is watch, smile, and restock the now-empty cupholders like the ant that I am.

One day I will grow a spine.

#4 ·
Seems the smaller the fare, the more eager the pax are to take advantage of any freebies offered.

I've even had one lady chug down a water and put 2 more in her purse on what was essentially a minfare ride. That's like, $0.35 - $0.40 (after CRV; but not including my time!) in costs! 10% of my gross income on that ride!

I was too scared of a downrate to tell her that's just @@@@ing greedy. But I did think to myself, "you @@@@@!"

I really don't think "amenities" are in a driver's best interest. I have not had mints or water since my first few months. Riders used to clean out the mint cup, leave half empty water bottles, and jam wrappers in any crevices they could find. Several tried to walk off with my charging cables.

The non tippers were the worst.

#5 ·
I was once tipped $0.50 on a POOL ride to the airport.

Couldn't tell whether it was an intentional insult, or genuine sign of appreciation. Either way, it allowed me to break even on the last 4 or so bottles of water I gave out so I was happy.

Almost wanted to print out a screenshot, and frame / hang it. But I was too busy accepting the next mid-4* ping, like the ant that I am, to have time for that nonsense.

#6 ·

I was too scared of a downrate to tell her that's just @@@@ing greedy. But I did think to myself, "you @@@@ing @@@@@!"

How long you been doin' this, man?

NO FREEBIES. If they're thirsty, they should've brought water. Giving them free stuff only reinforces their preposterously inflated sense of entitlement.

Many of them will take your free water, take a couple of sips -- and leave the damned thing in the car, which you'll have to take care of before the next paxhole gets in. Same for candy wrappers; doing this only creates work for you. They won't "appreciate" it; they'll take it for granted.

More importantly, empty water bottles are an environmental nightmare. Billions and billions of them are created each year, and they're not really recyclable, despite what they try to tell you. Sometimes there's no getting around it, so we have to live with them to some extent. But no one should be doing anything that casually increases the number of plastic bottles floating around -- and "floating" is often the right word when they wind up in the water. It's appalling that Uber strongly encourages starting drivers to do this.

#7 ·

I was too scared of a downrate to tell her that's just @@@@ing greedy. But I did think to myself, "you @@@@ing @@@@@!"

I rather have one good water bottle than multiple of those no name water bottles.
Although I only use Express Pool, I feel nothing inappropriate taking amended as I see fit if it's being offered, naturally star ratings will go up in relation to the quality of the amendies as sign of appreciation.

#43 · (Edited)
naturally star ratings will go up in relation to the quality of the amendies as sign of appreciation.
From a 1star to a 2star?

naturally star ratings will go up in relation to the quality of the amendies as sign of appreciation.
It's encouraged for good rating.
Pax like you are full of Sh!t. Even when drivers gives a 5star service (including good water bottle), the moment driver can't do a small request (e.g. go to a drive-thru) driver gets a 1star.

#15 ·
When your expenses are greater than the additional revenue in you, as a business owner, should make the decision to reduce / eliminate the expenses. Those FREE amenities don't generate additional revenue to offset the costs in my experience and that of thousands of others on this site. Star ratings don't pay bills or generate increased revenue. Please consider this and make the wise decision, as a business owner, to eliminate these FREE items and focus on getting your PAX from point A to point B in a comfortable & safe way.

#19 · (Edited)
Yo quiero taco bell tho

@SFOspeedracer your thoughts on non-consumables like charging cables etc?

@AveragePerson are you more likely to rate me as a lesser driver if the charging cables are not a premium brand that you feel you deserve?

Maybe we can come to a compromise and I can offer tap water from a jug into paper cups, that way you can have all the free water your minfare heart desires and I don't have to be mad about it.

You can then promise me a tip in the app for my generous services, and just like that, we're even

#24 ·

That's disgusting. But they're used to having everything else for free. Did she leave a tip? I'm assuming no...

#26 ·
Anyone who provides "extras" and were not talking bout the one ones dancers provide, is just asking to lose money. While the little I do drive isn't in a major market, I've only had 3 riders in the 2 bullshit years of weekend drives ask about water or such.

Just an unnecessary hassle to deal with. Same with aux cord or gum, etc...

The service is a safe courteous ride from point A to hopefully just point B.

#27 ·

why do you have water in the car accessible to riders in the first place? Back when there was surge and one made a lot more than less than minimum wage drivers had water. Nowadays you are crazy to purchase things like water for riders. You are a business person likely making .60 cents per mile while the IRS business write-off is .58 cents per mile. Then you go out and actually purchase water for the paxoles? Seriously, you need to consider the larger picture here and the obvious fact that you need to learn to control business expenses.

Anyone who provides "extras" and were not talking bout the one ones dancers provide, is just asking to lose money. While the little I do drive isn't in a major market, I've only had 3 riders in the 2 bullshit years of weekend drives ask about water or such.

Just an unnecessary hassle to deal with. Same with aux cord or gum, etc...

The service is a safe courteous ride from point A to hopefully just point B.
after three years of doing this, I am at the point where if they asked where the water is I would say put a stop in the app for a store you want to pick up water at. Even in today's over 100 degree heat I would NEVER consider giving entitled paxoles water out of my own pocket. Maybe I should start selling it in my car for 2.00 a pop.

#28 ·
Raisedoncereal is a troll. This thread is proof of that. Adding to my short list of ignored members.

#30 ·

And this surprises you? Cheapholes are cheaphols for a reason, and will lie, stela, take everything they can to maximize their $7 fares.
That's why you offer NOTHING for free.
Have a box, and charge $3 min for chcolates, nuts, geenric water & $10 for Aux cord they can purchase.

Reactions: raisedoncereal
#31 ·

I've noticed the same thing. And they make sure you hear them gobbling up all your free stuff too.

Ghetto is ghetto.

#33 ·
Stop, my friend, being an enabler.
These people need to be responsible for themselves. They need to feed themselves, buy water for themselves if they're thirsty. They need to make sure their phones are charged before they leave the house and stop being so very reliant on it so that it maintains charge so they don't have to whine for chargers like petulant children.

They will NEVER learn to do this if you and your like are out there supplying these things.
Like puppies, they need to be TRAINED into respect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.