Dar-K

Was watching the news....
Heard that two women were shot while in Uber.
Apparently shot in arm & back - didn't catch much details.
Anyone able to provide additional information??

BurgerTiime

Uber banned guns in vehicles so imagine if matters got worse and this driver was cornered and he/she owned a weapon but left it at home due to Ubers policy. Ubers policy can get you killed! If you have a conceal and carry permit I say exercise your rights, don't let any passengers know, keep it concealed, never mention to passengers you carry.
Uber does not consider you an employee!
Protect yourself and your passengers from a possible blood bath so you aren't one soaking! It's dangerous out there and you never know who you just picked up or what they've been up to before they entered your car. The very least carry mace, get a dash cam and try to avoid bar close! (Especially pax from DT)

Merc Man

That driver obviously pissed somebody off. Driving like a jerk around some homies? This will be interesting.

I am a firm believer in the right to protect myself and, if need be, my passengers. You never know who you are picking up, and who they might have pissed off. There are a lot of irrational people out there and unfortunately, many of them are riding Uber. I was naive, when I first started driving, about the drug problems and other crime in the city, but after driving for the past year, I have learned to identify some of the meth users by their stench when they get in my car. I carry a gun, pepper spray and have a dash camera mounted beneath my rear view mirror that records the cabin of my car. I refuse to be a victim.

dirtnaprightnow

The problem now is who's insurance are the shootees going sue? I'm sure UBER will abandon the driver like always.

I agree with all of your precautions and do the same.

Since we are not employees and we own our workspace , UBERs directive is contrary to law and common sense.

That type of directive can only be applied to employees, while in company buildings.

Were the shooters going after the passengers or the car/driver? None of the news accounts have said. Seems more likely they were following the PAX leaving a bar.

Feisal Mo

That driver obviously pissed somebody off. Driving like a jerk around some homies? This will be interesting.
Merc Man, racist moron.
It doesn't take genius to figure out when you say the shooting was done by homies, you mean black people . Where in the article does it mention race?
Racist prick!

Anotherdriver

From the sound of it, the shots were directed "into the rear" of the vehicle. This tells me that they were targeting the passengers. I am guessing it may turn out that someone had issues at the nightclub and when they left they were followed. If they were after the driver, they would have driven up next to him/her and shot that person. This appears to be directed at the passengers for some reason. I am watching for more details to come out.

This is exactly why I stay out of the warehouse disct at bar close. I did armed patrol and body guard work in mpls years ago, and downtown was my main area. I know how rough it can get in the warehouse disct (1st ave) at bar close. There are a lot of shootings that happen there during that time.

As for not knowing who you are picking up, this is true. I got pinged to a rider a few weeks back and as I rolled up to the pick up location there was police everywhere, and I found out that I was in the middle of where they were protesting and the police came in and chased them out. I picked up 3 riders that came running up to my car, and as we drove away I asked (as I always do), Hows your night going? The reply i got was "good just out doing some protesting". I didn't know if they were wanted or just trying to get away before the police picked them up for protesting, but I stayed out of NE Mpls for the rest of that night.

Be careful! Watch people around you, and remember you can tell anyone NO even after they get into your car. Do what you have to do to protect yourself and your riders. But go home safe at the end of the night.

bigdaddy

Since we are not employees and we own our workspace , UBERs directive is contrary to law and common sense.
Except that you have a contractual obligation to comply with Uber's policy on this. It's part of the agreement you entered into when you began driving. I don't see how it's contrary to law and common sense. It's just another term of your contract.

Dar-K

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Given, where the shots were fired and who was hit.. I think the shots were aimed for those in the back seat.
-- Wonder why they took the shots?
-- Was their intent to kill or harm?
Either way, scary stuff! All for chump change.....

dirtnaprightnow

Not in my contract. One I agreed to was follow state law which makes more sense.

Even so I checked with my attorney on this and she is in agreement. She has experience with these issues and I'll go with her.

Besides as a retired LEO , I fall in a different category.

dirtnaprightnow

Another reason to pack heat...these thugs r outta control!!!
The idea of a corporation 1500 miles away setting nonsensical rules, contrary to state and federal laws is laughable. The Uber contract is largely unenforceable hence the push for binding arbitration. Any L2 could crack it during recess. It largely addressed the work relationship as contractors rather than employees.