She Had Every Right to Reduce My Tip or Not Tip at All

Driving With A Purpose

I was driving around between deliveries Monday about 11:15pm my time. Got a ping from a local upscale tavern showing $5 for a 10-mile delivery. Turned it down immediately. Then, within probably 5 seconds, I get another ping from the same tavern. This time it is $10.50 for 2.0 miles! In essence UE was saying "We'll pay you 50 cents a mile. Not good enough? How about $5.25 a mile, more than 10 times as much per mile!" I was surprised they didn't at least try to pawn it off as a double. I'd have taken $15.50 for 12 miles of driving. Oh well, definitely not complaining!

Get to the restaurant and they tell me they are out of cheese curds, a part of the order. I text the customer and ask for a substitute. She says there is no substitute and to just deliver it. Originally her instructions said "Meet at Door." She changed that to just leaving it by the door. I figure, there goes my streak of Tips Upfront (since they began here on 9/3) always coming through without a single reduction.

Upon delivering, I see the delivery fee paid by UE was only $2.50. You know what that means? The tip was at least $8 and very likely even more, at least originally. Keep in mind that in the estimated deliveries UE will not show anything (tipwise) above $8 (credit to "Nats121" for discovering this one). One hour passes and the tip comes through at $12.00. So the streak is still alive! The deal ended up paying $14.50 or $7.25 per mile.

I am impressed that the customer didn't try to take it out on me that she didn't get the cheese curds. Also, it was amazing that UE would present me with a delivery paying 50 cents a mile and immediately change it to one that ended up paying $7.25 a mile from the exact same restaurant!!!

And, no the restaurant was not about to close. It was pretty packed (even on a Monday night) when I got there.

Gosh it's nice to have a positive story once in a while. There is a second one as well. Look for my posting on Chick-Fil-A and you will see it.

Ubend R.S.

I was driving around between deliveries Monday about 11:15pm my time. Got a ping from a local upscale tavern showing $5 for a 10-mile delivery. Turned it down immediately. Then, within probably 5 seconds, I get another ping from the same tavern. This time it is $10.50 for 2.0 miles! In essence UE was saying "We'll pay you 50 cents a mile. Not good enough? How about $5.25 a mile, more than 10 times as much per mile!" I was surprised they didn't at least try to pawn it off as a double. I'd have taken $15.50 for 12 miles of driving. Oh well, definitely not complaining!

Get to the restaurant and they tell me they are out of cheese curds, a part of the order. I text the customer and ask for a substitute. She says there is no substitute and to just deliver it. Originally her instructions said "Meet at Door." She changed that to just leaving it by the door. I figure, there goes my streak of Tips Upfront (since they began here on 9/3) always coming through without a single reduction.

Upon delivering, I see the delivery fee paid by UE was only $2.50. You know what that means? The tip was at least $8 and very likely even more, at least originally. Keep in mind that in the estimated deliveries UE will not show anything (tipwise) above $8 (credit to "Nats121" for discovering this one). One hour passes and the tip comes through at $12.00. So the streak is still alive! The deal ended up paying $14.50 or $7.25 per mile.

I am impressed that the customer didn't try to take it out on me that she didn't get the cheese curds. Also, it was amazing that UE would present me with a delivery paying 50 cents a mile and immediately change it to one that ended up paying $7.25 a mile from the exact same restaurant!!!

And, no the restaurant was not about to close. It was pretty packed (even on a Monday night) when I got there.

Gosh it's nice to have a positive story once in a while. There is a second one as well. Look for my posting on Chick-Fil-A and you will see it.
No offence but how sad it is read this. 'leaders of the free world' yet someone sees fit to create a glory thread over $14.50. Has life really become so awful.
Again no offence meant just sad ia all.

Driving With A Purpose

It was me

Alltel77, I was trying to tell whether or not you really did discover the $8 max. tip in the estimates. I went through your posts since late March and couldn't seem to find anything in there. Can you provide a link where you discussed this?
Post automatically merged:

No offence but how sad it is read this. 'leaders of the free world' yet someone sees fit to create a glory thread over $14.50. Has life really become so awful.

I fully realize that $14.50 (or even $1,000) isn’t gonna change my lifestyle. I do take pleasure in things that others might find trivial. I found a silver dime while waiting in line at a McD in the last several days. That dime, worth about $2, meant more than an $8-10 UE gig. Sounds crazy, I know. But silver is very hard to find in the wild and I can get UE deliveries left and right, so they aren’t as meaningful in a sense.

Also meant to say that the big picture wasn’t a $14.50 delivery. It was more about 2 other things:

1) Turning down a lousy deal and getting a much better one right away from the same restaurant; and

2) Our preconceived notions about deliveries can be way off. Something was missing from my delivery. I expected the worst (low tip or no tip) and the tip went from the $8 max to $12 instead.

Last edited:

Alltel77

Alltel77, I was trying to tell whether or not you really did discover the $8 max. tip in the estimates. I went through your posts since late March and couldn't seem to find anything in there. Can you provide a link where you discussed this?

I fully realize that $14.50 (or even $1,000) isn’t gonna change my lifestyle. I do take pleasure in things that others might find trivial. I found a silver dime while waiting in line at a McD in the last several days. That dime, worth about $2, meant more than an $8-10 UE gig. Sounds crazy, I know. But silver is very hard to find in the wild and I can get UE deliveries left and right, so they aren’t as meaningful in a sense.

Also meant to say that the big picture wasn’t a $14.50 delivery. It was more about 2 other things:

1) Turning down a lousy deal and getting a much better one right away from the same restaurant; and

2) Our preconceived notions about deliveries can be way off. Something was missing from my delivery. I expected the worst (low tip or no tip) and the tip went from the $8 max to $12 instead.

I did. I know I posted at least twice about it but there's one link. I didn't tell the $ amount, more $$$ for me.

Last edited:

Acheese11

10 miles is still too far for $14.50 I would've never accepted that. Maybe if it was a double around $19 then I know I'd most likely get closer to $30.
same, I only take orders showing over $2 a mile

I didn't realize it only showed tips up to $8 though, that's good to know. I do get a lot of higher tips than estimate, so that's probably why