Shame on law enforcement

MyJessicaLS430

I am sure every of you have watched the saddened news. Perhaps I have missed parts of the story but based on what I understand, the police was dispatched to handle a suspect involved in using counterfeit money. What was not reported (or I have missed) is that how the suspect ended up being kneeled on his neck? Was he aggressive? Did he resist arrest? Did he carry a weapon?

From a medicine perspective, there is a 3-minute threshold that determines survival. Cerebral hypoxia (which the term itself is confusing because it does not only affect the cerebrum) develops when the supply of oxygen to the brain is reduced. The first sign of cerebral hypoxia is the loss of consciousness, which can happen as early as 30 seconds after reduced oxygenation. I personally find it unbelievable that the officers did not even notice about that. Let's assume the one who kneeled on the suspect enjoys the process, how about the other two who assisted in restraining? How can all of them ignore the warning sign (multiple times of ''I can't breath'')?

Depending on age and health, if blood flow can be restored within 3 minutes, survival is likely. This means that the suspect would not have received a 'dead sentence' had any of the 3 officers attempted to re-position him in a way that he could breathe while restrained. Furthermore, a reduced oxygenation that sustains for > 3 minutes will provoke the ' ischaemic cascade' leading to irreversible brain damages. This involves over-excitation of neurons due to a sudden spike of calcium availability in response to energy deprivation. Assuming the suspect could survive, he would have suffered from loss of intelligence and/or memory, become physically handicapped, if not worse remained a vegetative state for the rest of his life. Ischaemic-reperfusion (I/R) injury to the brain and heat could also follow due to respiratory burst and oxidative stress upon restoration of blood flow.

Anyway, is it really necessary to have 3 officers to restrain a suspect who did not exhibit any signs of harm? Does the officer need to kneel on the suspect's neck for that long (9 minutes if I remembered correctly?) Isn't it true that having the suspect handcuffed would have been the end of story?

This is entirely a hypothetical question. How would have the officers handled differently if the suspect was a white? I bet using counterfeit money does not involve any violent component that requires such level of restrain? I can't recall the source where I learnt the idea that African Americans are 2.5 times more likely to be killed by the police. Crimes transcend race. Why do people still have such prejudice now in 2020? This is exceptionally relevant for police officers, whose decisions can determine life or death of the suspects.

Uber's Guber

Perhaps I have missed parts of the story but based on what I understand, the police was dispatched to handle a suspect involved in using counterfeit money.
Even if the passing of counterfeit money was involved, it does not mean that the person who passed it did it with criminal intent. At any time, anyone of us could have been the recipient & giver of a counterfeit bill and never even knew it. Just because George Floyd was alleged to have been in possession of a counterfeit bill does not make him a criminal.

What was not reported (or I have missed) is that how the suspect ended up being kneeled on his neck? Was he aggressive? Did he resist arrest? Did he carry a weapon?
At this point, the only thing that matters is that once George Floyd had his hands cuffed behind his back, any immediate threat to the lives of the officers is diminished. Unfortunately for George Floyd, this officer failed to follow proper detainment-protocol while detaining a citizen, and thus he is responsible for the death of George Floyd. This was a rouge officer, a bad cop! And now that an autopsy report describing the cause-of-death has been released, I expect that the current charge of 3rd degree murder will be elevated to an even more serious charge.

IthurstwhenIP

Every member of the union in that city is simply a gang in blue. Who is paying for his lawyer? Who guards his house? Condemn the foot soldier but burn the house that controls him

Another Uber Driver

Does death penalty exist in the state of Minnesota?
Minnesota banned the death penalty in 1911.

If Chauvin does walk on the state charges, there are still federal charges that could be brought against him. Some of those potential charges do bring into play the death penalty.

If Chauvin does face federal charges, his lawyer, of course, will raise the double jeopardy argument for the record. The judge will not allow it, as the courts repeatedly have rebuffed similar efforts.

What is worthy of note here, is that this raises another matter. One of the reasons that The Donald managed to win in 2016 was that the black voters, tired of b eing taken for granted by the Democrats, stayed home. This time, regardless of what they may or may not think of Jumpin' Joe, they would do well to come out and vote for him; particullarly in the so-called "battleground" states. Why? (Or "why?" as it has to do with Chauvin/Floyd).................... If Chauvin does walk on the state charges, if Donald Trump is President, I will put my money on Chauvin's not being prosecuted by the Feds. If he walks and Joe Biden is President, my money is on his facing Federal prosecution.

rideshareMN

I am sure every of you have watched the saddened news. Perhaps I have missed parts of the story but based on what I understand, the police was dispatched to handle a suspect involved in using counterfeit money. What was not reported (or I have missed) is that how the suspect ended up being kneeled on his neck? Was he aggressive? Did he resist arrest? Did he carry a weapon?

From a medicine perspective, there is a 3-minute threshold that determines survival. Cerebral hypoxia (which the term itself is confusing because it does not only affect the cerebrum) develops when the supply of oxygen to the brain is reduced. The first sign of cerebral hypoxia is the loss of consciousness, which can happen as early as 30 seconds after reduced oxygenation. I personally find it unbelievable that the officers did not even notice about that. Let's assume the one who kneeled on the suspect enjoys the process, how about the other two who assisted in restraining? How can all of them ignore the warning sign (multiple times of ''I can't breath'')?

Depending on age and health, if blood flow can be restored within 3 minutes, survival is likely. This means that the suspect would not have received a 'dead sentence' had any of the 3 officers attempted to re-position him in a way that he could breathe while restrained. Furthermore, a reduced oxygenation that sustains for > 3 minutes will provoke the ' ischaemic cascade' leading to irreversible brain damages. This involves over-excitation of neurons due to a sudden spike of calcium availability in response to energy deprivation. Assuming the suspect could survive, he would have suffered from loss of intelligence and/or memory, become physically handicapped, if not worse remained a vegetative state for the rest of his life. Ischaemic-reperfusion (I/R) injury to the brain and heat could also follow due to respiratory burst and oxidative stress upon restoration of blood flow.

Anyway, is it really necessary to have 3 officers to restrain a suspect who did not exhibit any signs of harm? Does the officer need to kneel on the suspect's neck for that long (9 minutes if I remembered correctly?) Isn't it true that having the suspect handcuffed would have been the end of story?

This is entirely a hypothetical question. How would have the officers handled differently if the suspect was a white? I bet using counterfeit money does not involve any violent component that requires such level of restrain? I can't recall the source where I learnt the idea that African Americans are 2.5 times more likely to be killed by the police. Crimes transcend race. Why do people still have such prejudice now in 2020? This is exceptionally relevant for police officers, whose decisions can determine life or death of the suspects.
that whole knee on neck move needs to be really thought out...my neck is fused with a large titanium plate and 8 screws, as soon as that move would be applied to me, i'd likely either be paralyzed or dead...

Muhammad D

Police messed with people at the wrong time. People were already fed up with staying at home, and they had nothing else to do but get pissed. They charged the officer in record time. Now get him covincted in record time and calm everyone down.

ANT 7

The dead person was found to be high on Fentanyl and had methamphetamine in his body as well.

He had quite a long rap sheet too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fakenews/comments/gsq6vv
A video exists of him fighting with the officers from the back of the police car. Hmmmmmm.......a stoned perp doesn't want to go back into the big house again I guess, I don't know. The fight ends up outside the police car as a result.

Is putting your body weight and knee on someones neck to restrain them an acceptable tactic across police forces in Canada and the US ? They certainly do that shit up here, and it's usually the white guys on the ground getting cuffed because they're whacked out on opiods. It's a totally unacceptable manner of holding someone down IMHO. Now, I don't like cops per say as a rule. Here in Canada they like to taser you right from the get go, and we kill quite a few folks like that. This was certainly a preventable situation by all the parties involved however, starting with the actions of George Floyd.

The riots are orchestrated and being set up by professional thugs from the left wing. The black people I know and have sat beside or worked with for years are not stupid people who would run out and burn down the cities in which they live because of a guy like George Floyd.

Last edited:

BigRedDriver

If Chauvin does walk on the state charges, there are still federal charges that could be brought against him. Some of those potential charges do bring into play the death penalty.

If Chauvin does face federal charges, his lawyer, of course, will raise the double jeopardy argument for the record. The judge will not allow it, as the courts repeatedly have rebuffed similar efforts.

What is worthy of note here, is that this raises another matter. One of the reasons that The Donald managed to win in 2016 was that the black voters, tired of b eing taken for granted by the Democrats, stayed home. This time, regardless of what they may or may not think of Jumpin' Joe, they would do well to come out and vote for him; particullarly in the so-called "battleground" states. Why? (Or "why?" as it has to do with Chauvin/Floyd).................... If Chauvin does walk on the state charges, if Donald Trump is President, I will put my money on Chauvin's not being prosecuted by the Feds. If he walks and Joe Biden is President, my money is on his facing Federal prosecution.
yep, many of these protesters, most likely the looters and those burning down the communities, aren’t all there to mourn the man, they will use the poor man to win an election

No further proof needed.

Kick poor Ant in guts

Yeah and 45 christians were butchered in northern Nigeria yesterday by Islamic extremists but no one cares abou that do they.......

NotYetADriver

I don't think Police are unaware of the various holds they use and the potential hazards.
I would guess that they discuss the various holds frequently in and out of training.
I think Derek Chauvin knew exactly what his knee on Mr. Floyd's neck could do and he intentionally killed the guy.
Especially since Mr. Floyd was heard saying he couldn't breath.

Post automatically merged:

Yeah and 45 christians were butchered in northern Nigeria yesterday by Islamic extremists but no one cares abou that do they.......
I do !
But what can I do?

BigRedDriver

I don't think Police are unaware of the various holds they use and the potential hazards.
I would guess that they discuss the various holds frequently in and out of training.
I think Derek Chauvin knew exactly what his knee on Mr. Floyd's neck could do and he intentionally killed the guy.

I do !
But what can I do?
burn and loot.

Valar Dohaeris

If blacks don't come out and vote for Joe, are they really black?

Keep voting the same way and expect different results lol. You get what you vote for.

Kick poor Ant in guts

I do !
But what can I do?
The cop and Floyd worked at the same club - but no one is talking about that

Another Uber Driver

get him covincted in record time and calm everyone down.
According to Ellison, the Minnesota Attorney-General, that ain't gonna' happen. As little use as I have for Keith Ellison, he has been the only Minnesota Official who has used any brains in the handling of this matter. When those community leaders went to that governor and asked him to have Ellison lead this prosecution, it appears that they made a wise choice. Probably the first smart thing that the governor did was listen to them and take their suggestion. I hope that Ellison told the other officials to shut the hell up before they taint the case any more than they already have.

Ellison has admitted that this is an uphill battle. He added that everything is going to be done according to the law and not according to anything else but the law. From what I have seen, it appears that he, at least, is doing his job. He did make one minor slip, but, compared to what other Minnesota officials have said, it pales.

If blacks don't come out and vote for Joe, are they really black?
According to Ol' Jumpin' Joe, they ain't.

The cop and Floyd worked at the same club - but no one is talking about that
Someone from WCCO talked to the guy who owned the club when the two worked there. He has since sold it He stated that Floyd worked there part time during the week while Chauvin worked there part time on weekends and as far as he knows, they never crossed paths. If they did, he said that it would have been only momentary and that they would not have known each other nor did they ever work together.

Keep voting the same way and expect different results lol. You get what you vote for.
My comments were not favouring one side or the other. It was simply a statement that if the blacks want to get anyone to do anything for them on their issues, they would do well not to stay home this time. I made no statement one way or the other on their issues or the issues of anyone else.