• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Sexist Female Uber/Lyft Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubber

I've been reading past threads about front seat pax, and I've seen women state this at times, with it going unchallenged. With otherwise nondescript (I use this as a catch-all to mean lacking of any grotesque physical or character undesirables- - please don't make this semantical) males, why is this such an issue for solo male pax, but not for solo female pax? This is clearly not an issue the other way around, so I'm trying to understand the double-standard. It just seems not only sexist, but feminist as well. I get it being from past personal trauma, but aside from this I dunno. For those who may state something about a crime risk, what is meant by this? And is there data that can be referenced? So I'm genuinely asking for my edification, what are the good reasons for this, other than sexism/feminism or bad personal experience with solo male pax from ridesharing?

Taksomotor

That is how double standards work. Once you have established that your group is somehow oppressed in any way and have had the society acknowledge it, you become an oppressed minority and now the rules don't apply to you. Actually more like different rules apply to you. Now every time you want to take advantage of other people, you can just pull your oppressed minority card and everyone shits their pants and has to make sure your feelings are not hurt and you get preferential treatment.

mbd

I've been reading past threads about front seat pax, and I've seen women state this at times, with it going unchallenged. With otherwise nondescript (I use this as a catch-all to mean lacking of any grotesque physical or character undesirables- - please don't make this semantical) males, why is this such an issue for solo male pax, but not for solo female pax? This is clearly not an issue the other way around, so I'm trying to understand the double-standard. It just seems not only sexist, but feminist as well. I get it being from past personal trauma, but aside from this I dunno. For those who may state something about a crime risk, what is meant by this? And is there data that can be referenced? So I'm genuinely asking for my edification, what are the good reasons for this, other than sexism/feminism or bad personal experience with solo male pax from ridesharing?
Your writing skill very impressive...

SJCorolla

For one thing, solo female pax almost never insist on sitting in front. Why this is, I don't know. So the front seat solo pax left to gripe about are mostly the male ones.

Last edited:

May H.

We need to protect ourselves from physical harm. A solo passenger sitting in the front seat (especially an intoxicated one) is closer to the driver. If a passenger is in the back they’re more out of reach. It has absolutely nothing to do with gender bias or “feminism”. I’ve lost count how many times men have inappropriately touched me during a ride-especially at night- it’s also against the terms of service.
Post automatically merged:

We need to protect ourselves from physical harm. A solo passenger sitting in the front seat (especially an intoxicated one) is closer to the driver. If a passenger is in the back they’re more out of reach. It has absolutely nothing to do with gender bias or “feminism”. I’ve lost count how many times men have inappropriately touched me during a ride-especially at night- it’s also against the terms of service....And yes, it’s sexist of you to assume sexism.

Fozzie

Until you've driven in our shoes and had multiple weirdos hit on you, you have no clue what it's like. Don't try to turn this into a battle of the sexes, or blame "feminism" for something you don't understand.

As a guy, do you feel that you're vulnerable when an unknown stranger is sitting next to you? Do people you don't know stare and look at you like they just want to sexually assault you with or without your permission? When you've experienced that, maybe you'll understand what we deal with on a daily basis.

TheDevilisaParttimer

I’m going to assume you’re saying there is bias between male and female pax that sits up front.

Females are less threatening in social encounters with strangers on a whole, plus are less prone to violence. We have a few thousand years worth of evidence at least.

Have you been raped? Have you been sexually assaulted? Have 1/2 of your friends? Do you run scenarios in your head of how you'd overpower or defend yourself against a pax every time they sit up front? Or even whenever a drunk male pax gets in the car? Do you think about how to make sure pax's know you're married, but without a flashy diamond because then you worry about getting robbed? Or which clothes are the least revealing, but still presentable so people don't think you're 'asking for it'? Or wearing enough makeup that you look pleasant and approachable, but not too much so pax's don't find you attractive or '@@@@ty'?
Yeah.. didn't think so. I guess you've never had to because it'd be a double standard

240BIGWINO

Have you been raped? Have you been sexually assaulted? Have 1/2 of your friends? Do you run scenarios in your head of how you'd overpower or defend yourself against a pax every time they sit up front? Or even whenever a drunk male pax gets in the car? Do you think about how to make sure pax's know you're married, but without a flashy diamond because then you worry about getting robbed? Or which clothes are the least revealing, but still presentable so people don't think you're 'asking for it'? Or wearing enough makeup that you look pleasant and approachable, but not too much so pax's don't find you attractive or '@@@@ty'?
Yeah.. didn't think so. I guess you've never had to because it'd be a double standard
Love the anger!

Sconnie

When I ride as a pax I often sit up front. It’s either because the car is a compact/subcompact vehicle and I’m more comfortable up front or it’s an added stop trip to pickup some married couple friends of mine on the way to the final destination. I’ve never had a driver complain. As a driver, I haven’t noticed a difference in the ratio of male to female pax that opt to sit up front.

We need to protect ourselves from physical harm. A solo passenger sitting in the front seat (especially an intoxicated one) is closer to the driver. If a passenger is in the back they’re more out of reach. It has absolutely nothing to do with gender bias or “feminism”. I’ve lost count how many times men have inappropriately touched me during a ride-especially at night- it’s also against the terms of service.
Post automatically merged:
If someone is inappropriately touching you, you need to kick them out of your car and report them.

Status
Not open for further replies.