1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Set your own rates!

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by Fireguy50, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Fireguy50

Fireguy50 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    I was checking out a new company app service with Uber continually going downhill. It's called HONK, basically it's for tow truck drivers. They offer
    • Jump starts
    • 3 gallons of gas
    • Change a flat tire
    • Towing
    • Winching out of a ditch
    • Locked out (keys inside)
    With winter coming, I was going to join and offer everything except towing or winch. I can do the rest quickly I'm handy, and have broken into more than a dozen locked cars.

Here's the shocker, at the end of signing up as a service provider, I got to enter in what I would charge for each service, and HONK would add their service fee's onto that. :D:eek::cool:

That's what real "partners" or independent contractors should be doing, especially if we're NOT employees and get 1099's. Uber could change their business model and stay out of our lives! :mad::(o_O

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  2. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

There's a lot of potential in this. The tow industry is ripe for "disruption". I needed my motorcycle transported 38 miles home and one tow company wanted $330. Cheapest quote was $140.

Fireguy50 likes this.
  3. nickd8775

nickd8775 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Setting our own rates will only drive the rates down for longer trips. Look at the ride share section on Craigslist. There are some people offering rides for 50 cents a mile

Shangsta likes this.
  4. Fireguy50

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    Good for them, don't care. I need a certain amount to drive. I don't drive for base rates, or sit around waiting for pings. If it's that slow or cheap, I'm done. So let Craigslist have the cheap rides, I don't want them. And I'll laugh when they get caught without insurance or get dropped after a crash for commercial driving.

5. Mars Troll Number 4

Mars Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Still higher than Orlando uberX rates paid to the driver...

Fireguy50 likes this.
  6. Driving and Driven

Driving and Driven Well-Known Member

I wonder if HONK will show the price in the app before the tow truck arrives. Depending on the situation, tow truck drivers sometimes have to evaluate the situation in person before quoting a price. Still, very cool concept.

Fireguy50 likes this.
  7. Fireguy50

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    Yes, it list's the price before you request the service. The app functions alot like Uber. Pin drop location, tell them what you need, get price and ETA.

Driving and Driven likes this.
  8. Driving and Driven

Driving and Driven Well-Known Member

That's awesome, however, I imagine there will be some very small percentage where the situation would warrant additional fees (clicking on "stuck in a ditch" may not cover the 30-foot drop into the ravine on the other side of the alligator farm) and there would have to be someway to rectify the actual required price within the app.

That being said, I can see this app being crazy popular and effective.

Fireguy50 likes this.
  9. Fireguy50

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    I'm sure there's fine print.
    I'm hoping it's mostly for the stuff I'm willing to do.
    Out of gas, dead battery, locked out, occasional flat tire. I'm not a tow company, but willing to jumpstart a car for more than Uber pays!

Driving and Driven likes this.
  10. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

No insurance requirements ?

Boca Ratman likes this.
  11. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

I had to have a guy get into my car...

I could have done it if I had some tools but I was at SeaWorld.

The guy had what looked similar to a blood pressure thing. Slipped it I time a space on the doorframe, a few pumps of air enough space to slide a rod in and pop the lock. Maybe 5 seconds ...

Boca Ratman and Fireguy50 like this.
  12. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    I think you're right. It will be an online bidding war with the host taking a percentage. You can apply this to any service. Hose A will trim your trees for $20, Hose B will trim your trees for $18 and Hose C will trim your trees for $15. Then Hose B will have the "mention this ad and get grass cut for $5" coupon. It's nothing new, it's just an easier way of advertising cheap service.

Fireguy50 likes this.
  13. Fireguy50

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    I'm still looking into that, all their insurance questions were about towing their vehicle. Plus the background check is still pending. I'm not done with the sign up process, but I liked the set your rate idea!
    That's what I have, real quick, I can open any door like that.
    They are 10X thicker than a Blood pressure cuff, probably couldn't fold it in half if I tried

14. Fireguy50

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    But the $15 option will be taken first and service will suck, then people will get app messages that the $18 option is all that's available currently. I'd let all the newb's take the $3 rides, why would I care? It's their loss! I could set my cancellation rate, and my radius of service.
    HONK let me enter a service radius, no more 15min pings if Uber used this!