• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Servicing sth east

I2icho

Just dropped my toyota hybrid of for service at toyota ftg for 120k service and was shocked at the price quoted just a touch under $1000 for basic service $647 trottle body clean $180 fuel injector clean $180.
This sounds absurd to me. I guess thats dealership price.
Anyone have a good mechanic in the sth east who wont rip me off?

Stavy

The problem is as soon as mechanics hear ‘hybrid’
They get scared and say ‘never touched a hybrid’
I serviced my car frankston toyota yesterday basic service $250

zanboor

Just dropped my toyota hybrid of for service at toyota ftg for 120k service and was shocked at the price quoted just a touch under $1000 for basic service $647 trottle body clean $180 fuel injector clean $180.
Mate mate mate, injector clean! Just put a damn bottle of injector cleaner in your fuel tank and it’s done ($20 max)
Throttle body cleaner, get a bottle from SuperCheap and don’t forget to show your uber pro card to get discount, 10 minutes job, done!
Never too late to learn a few basic things about your car, lots of YouTube around if you get stuck. :sneaky::redface:

I2icho

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mate mate mate, injector clean! Just put a damn bottle of injector cleaner in your fuel tank and it’s done ($20 max)
Throttle body cleaner, get a bottle from SuperCheap and don’t forget to show your uber pro card to get discount, 10 minutes job, done!
Never too late to learn a few basic things about your car, lots of YouTube around if you get stuck. :sneaky::redface:
Yeah deff going to see what i can do myself.

Called them 20 mins after dropping the car off, told them i had an emergency and had to pick up the car asap and stop any work that was going to happen.
So i get there aprox 45 mins after phone call then they proceed to tell me that they have gone ahead and serviced the car even thou i had told them not too. Handed me a $650 bill for the service.
Kicked up a stink and refused to pay the bill as i had told them to stop and i had to pick up the car. Anyway this went back and forth for 20 mins until they got the manager. After some back and forth they agreed to amend the bill to $490.
Fair to say i wont be going back there ever again.
What a farce

Mojo24

I've always had my hybrid serviced at Toyota but after they wanted to keep my car for 2 days for diagnostics even after I told them exactly what was wrong I'm thinking a trusted local mechanic might be just as good, if not better.

(It was the 12V battery that had died - the Toyota muppets kept trying to tell me otherwise)

Llib07

My mechanic is very good and honest, I used to go to Holden and they would charge for this and for that and when I had a real problem with drainage from the sunroof they couldn't fix it but of course they charged me for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Immoralized

Yeah deff going to see what i can do myself.

Called them 20 mins after dropping the car off, told them i had an emergency and had to pick up the car asap and stop any work that was going to happen.
So i get there aprox 45 mins after phone call then they proceed to tell me that they have gone ahead and serviced the car even thou i had told them not too. Handed me a $650 bill for the service.
Kicked up a stink and refused to pay the bill as i had told them to stop and i had to pick up the car. Anyway this went back and forth for 20 mins until they got the manager. After some back and forth they agreed to amend the bill to $490.
Fair to say i wont be going back there ever again.
What a farce
You got scammed. They didn't do anything and got close 500 off you

Sandhills

That's one you will win if take to fair trading provided you can prove told them to stop in time... U will also find Toyota will likely capitulate once case lodged

Nah find different dealer.
Service $270
Inlet clean $$70
Never did injector clean so can’t say
My dealer always refund me inlet clean so I come up with basic service for $270
Go to city Toyota speak with John.
And by the way you should be doing transmission flush and service at 100k they won’t tell you that unless asked,as preventative maintenance $300.
Post automatically merged:

I just checked invoice for you inlet and injector clean $110.
Go to City Toyota.
When I got mine local mechanic wanted more than dealer for service.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kick poor Ant in guts

Throttle body clean???? Go to this bloke in Braeside: MD Autocare - Mark is about 50 yo, runs his own professional shop - fair and reasonable plus he's very thorough

Llib07

It all depends on how honest your mechanics are whether independent or dealers. I think Independent ones will be on average cheaper and more honest as they are under pressure to keep your business and have lower costs. I didnt find any Holden dealer that was good or honest they were just looking for more ways to make money kind of like 5 year warranties on appliances. It took me a while but I did Paul in Auto Academy in Highett very honest (this is not advertising I actually go to him and want to help other drivers). An example was when I went to get tyres I asked him about branded tyres and he said just get the mid quality chinese ones as good tyres will still get uneven wear from alignment and tyre pressure changes. He also only charges extra on a service when there is something genuinely wrong with a part and if something is wearing slightly he won't go overboard and tell you to fix on the spot he will advise that you have another 20k's left and then you should consider changing.

Kick poor Ant in guts

It all depends on how honest your mechanics are whether independent or dealers. I think Independent ones will be on average cheaper and more honest as they are under pressure to keep your business and have lower costs. I didnt find any Holden dealer that was good or honest they were just looking for more ways to make money kind of like 5 year warranties on appliances. It took me a while but I did Paul in Auto Academy in Highett very honest (this is not advertising I actually go to him and want to help other drivers). An example was when I went to get tyres I asked him about branded tyres and he said just get the mid quality chinese ones as good tyres will still get uneven wear from alignment and tyre pressure changes. He also only charges extra on a service when there is something genuinely wrong with a part and if something is wearing slightly he won't go overboard and tell you to fix on the spot he will advise that you have another 20k's left and then you should consider changing.
I don't agree with the Chinese tyre advice. Look at last Saturday night. Chinese tyres would have been useless. I set saved searches in Gumtree for Michelin tyres that suit my two cars - when they pop up I buy them - my current set of michies on my FG2 cost me $325 and were 98% - they're now 80% and still as good as the day I put them on. Michelin's hang on till the end. Chinese tyres leave the scene - once they get to about 3/4 - they are crap. It's false economy. The Lattitude Tour HPs on my Santa Fe are unbelievably grippy - don't buy crap tyres. Just set your saved searches on Gumtree, to buy decent nearly new Michelin's - wing Wong's Super Supremes will just leave you sliding all over the road.
Post automatically merged:

I don't agree with the Chinese tyre advice. Look at last Saturday night. Chinese tyres would have been useless. I set saved searches in Gumtree for Michelin tyres that suit my two cars - when they pop up I buy them - my current set of michies on my FG2 cost me $325 and were 98% - they're now 80% and still as good as the day I put them on. Michelin's hang on till the end. Chinese tyres leave the scene - once they get to about 3/4 - they are crap. It's false economy. The Lattitude Tour HPs on my Santa Fe are unbelievably grippy - don't buy crap tyres. Just set your saved searches on Gumtree, to buy decent nearly new Michelin's - wing Wong's Super Supremes will just leave you sliding all over the road.
Michelin do much better compounding and have much more advanced carcass tech. There's just no substitute for great tyres.