Service dogs

NASCAR1991

So how does this work...
I had someone request an uber pool going all the way across the SF for one seat..so basically a guaranteed match....but pax had a huge apparently service dog.
We did get matched with one more that sat up front....but what if we would have two more joining us...or 3 more for a full car....where am i going to store that dinosaur pax brought?

manuella

So how does this work...
I had someone request an uber pool going all the way across the SF for one seat..so basically a guaranteed match....but pax had a huge apparently service dog.
We did get matched with one more that sat up front....but what if we would have two more joining us...or 3 more for a full car....where am i going to store that dinosaur pax brought?
Use the over capacity option when it tries to add on people ,it won't match you with anyone else.

Just knowing uber you might still loose out on a guarantee though so it would be safe to email them

yucklyftline

So how does this work...
That's a great question. Will uber consider a 40 lb dog a +1? Will the pax complain and it leads to another lawsuit or your name in the paper lol? I'm sure most pax would understand if you explained, but what if uber charges them $1 more because you choose +1 and they protest? How about a smaller dog? Is it considered cargo?

With all that's going on with ADA animals and uber, this is a hot topic.

Patiently waiting.......

AlexK

I don't mind the dogs... But it's the ones that reek that I have a problem with. I had to shut down and wipe down my entire back seat and then drive with the windows down lol

Side note, I always rate them a 1 or 2 and write in exactly what I had a problem with. Usually 9.9 times out of 10, if the passenger rated me low as well, Lyft excludes that rating. You just kinda know when they get out of the car whether or not it was a good experience or not.

Euius

So how does this work...
The dog shouldn't be taking a seat under any circumstance. You let the dog on the seat?

It's required to give accommodation not to act like the dog is a human. If the person doesn't accept your accommodation, that's their problem.

I make the rider with the dog sit up front with the dog on the floor between their legs. I would do so even if it was a 500 lb (whatever breed) support dog.

What if you have service elephant...do i need to take him along as well..wtf
Only dogs are recognized service animals. Miniature horses were as a test, but they reverted that. Monkeys, etc are not recognized as service animals.

Euius

Well i did put my beach towel on the seat...pax got mad right away...pshh..

They should not be allowed to use pool. What if their.match is allergic to dogs...too many variables
The law requires that they be given the same options and prices as people without service dogs. (Or in general: disabled people be given the same options and prices)

If another passenger has an allergy then you are required by Uber policy and by the law to accept the rider with the service dog. It's not even a debate, Uber will deactivate you as fast as if you punched a passenger. If the allergic passenger wants to end the ride, that's their choice.

Papa Sarducci

The dog shouldn't be taking a seat under any circumstance. You let the dog on the seat?

It's required to give accommodation not to act like the dog is a human. If the person doesn't accept your accommodation, that's their problem.

I make the rider with the dog sit up front with the dog on the floor between their legs. I would do so even if it was a 500 lb (whatever breed) support dog.

Only dogs are recognized service animals. Miniature horses were as a test, but they reverted that. Monkeys, etc are not recognized as service animals.
I ain't letting a 500 pound anything get in my car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa Sarducci

The law requires that they be given the same options and prices as people without service dogs. (Or in general: disabled people be given the same options and prices)

If another passenger has an allergy then you are required by Uber policy and by the law to accept the rider with the service dog. It's not even a debate, Uber will deactivate you as fast as if you punched a passenger. If the allergic passenger wants to end the ride, that's their choice.
Basically you can deny the dog, get deactivated, or take the dog, cause the other pax to get sick and possibly sue you, the pax with the dog, and Uber. Hell of a way to treat a "partner", guess we know who the bottom is here now don't we.

NASCAR1991

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Basically you can deny the dog, get deactivated, or take the dog, cause the other pax to get sick and possibly sue you, the pax with the dog, and Uber. Hell of a way to treat a "partner", guess we know who the bottom is here now don't we.
Well thats law suit will not affect you as much as you think

Its not your service dog. You just reuired to take it. They will sue uber directly since you just following their own policy
Plus most pax think we the poorest people on this planet...we don't have anything to take

RedoBeach

I would let a dog sit on my seats anyday.. It doesn't bother me since I would rather transport dogs than people.

The real issue.. Dog hair and dander gets everywhere, even on my pleather and impedes experience for subsequent pax.

Easiest solution has been to keep a beach towel in my trunk for easy access.

NASCAR1991

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would let a dog sit on my seats anyday.. It doesn't bother me since I would rather transport dogs than people.

The real issue.. Dog hair and dander gets everywhere, even on my pleather and impedes experience for subsequent pax.

Easiest solution has been to keep a beach towel in my trunk for easy access.
Ofcourse its the hair issue....thats the omly reason i dont want animals

Euius

Riders will not win in a lawsuit that boils down to "Driver followed the law by accepting a disabled passenger"

Papa Sarducci

Riders will not win in a lawsuit that boils down to "Driver followed the law by accepting a disabled passenger"
How is this even relevant? The person suing isn't the disabled person, it is the allergic person (who is also afforded equal protection under ADA law). Uber and the driver failed to accomodate the person with the allergy by not separating them.