Service Dogs

REX HAVOC

This last Friday night I picked up a fare in Oakland going to SF. The couple got on with a small dog. Now I don't mind if the dog is in a pet carrier as long as they don't shed on my seats. They didn't have one so I was going to refuse the fare but he was insistent and said he was a service dog. The guy wasn't blind so it may have been used to keep him calm. I should have asked him for some sort of ID that showed it was a service dog but I just said OK and let him take his dog. Does anyone know if service dogs have ID in case I run across this again. I'm thinking he just uses that line so driver let him take his dog in the car.

Fuzzyelvis

This last Friday night I picked up a fare in Oakland going to SF. The couple got on with a small dog. Now I don't mind if the dog is in a pet carrier as long as they don't shed on my seats. They didn't have one so I was going to refuse the fare but he was insistent and said he was a service dog. The guy wasn't blind so it may have been used to keep him calm. I should have asked him for some sort of ID that showed it was a service dog but I just said OK and let him take his dog. Does anyone know if service dogs have ID in case I run across this again. I'm thinking he just uses that line so driver let him take his dog in the car.
No ID or ANY paperwork is necessary. There have been many threads on this. The dog could easily be one trained to alert for low blood sugar or some other medical problem or the man could be lying. You will likely never be able to tell with most pax.

You can ask if it's a service dog, and you can ask what service it's been trained to perform. That's it. And service dogs come in all sizes.

Ben105

What they said. You can only ask if it is a service animal and what service it provides. Nothing more. You have to take their word. Generally though, service animals of any kind are very well trained and well behaved.