1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Service animals

Discussion in 'Advice' started by UberHustla, Sep 13, 2015.

1. UberHustla

UberHustla Well-Known Member

What if as drivers we decide we want (need?) to take our service animals in the car with us? Shouldn't we have the same rights as our passengers?

And as always....Uber on!

2. KGB7

KGB7 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Then you shouldnt be driving in the first place, because you arent fit to drive a vehicle let a lone to transport other people.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Sawboy likes this.
  3. UberHustla

Suppose my service dog is there for companionship, and I have paper work from a doctor stating this. Wouldn't Uber have to make the same stipulation for me, that passengers would just have to deal with it. And if they have more than three people then unfortunately I don't have a seat (or a seat belt) for them to use

KeJorn likes this.
  4. KGB7

KGB7 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    And I have a doctors note for imaginary friends.

Sawboy likes this.
  5. Just because a person has a service dog doesn't mean they are not fit to drive or serve others. There are service dogs for different needs. Educate yourself before you make a comment like that...
    As for the OP, I suggest you talk to Uber HQ about that. I don't think it's a problem though but I'm new so best to make sure from the "boss"

UberHustla likes this.
  6. forqalso

forqalso Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    "Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA." http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

7. UberHustla

Don't think you need a note for that. Just an imagination, which it sounds like you've got down pat!

8. UberHustla

One of the reasons given is to alert a person or help them if they're having a seizure. If you have this problem, I'm not sure if that would exclude you from a driving license, but if not, there you go. A legit reason to have a service animal with you as a driver. He can also protect your imaginary friends as well

KeJorn likes this.
  9. limepro

limepro Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    If you have epilepsy you must go a certain period of time without a seizure to prove your medication is working.

10. poopy

poopy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I could see having a helper monkey... especially for Uberx.

The monkey would definitely have the higher IQ of the two.
    :)

11. Some service animals are for diabetes too.

UberHustla likes this.
  12. UberHustla

The monkey isn't driving a car without insurance, the monkey probably knows to tip when they're a pax. I would say the monkey is doing pretty well when stacked up against the other individuals in the car as far as intelligence goes

13. Desert Driver

Desert Driver Well-Known Member

Evidently, you have no grasp of the spectrum of conditions under which persons may have a service dog. Please read up on a topic before making foolish comments and looking silly.

UberHustla likes this.
  14. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Ignore him. He used to make some sense but I think Ubering has addled his mind.

To return to the original question by the poster though. If you have a disability "reasonable" accommodation has to be made by an employer. I don't know how it works for contractors but one could argue that only taking 3 pax is reasonable since that doesn't exclude too many trips.

I would, if it is truly a service dog, take it, call pax and if 4 pax, cancel. If anyone complains about that or the dog being present and uber deactivates you that would be another interesting court case.

UberHustla likes this.
  15. UberHustla

I'm not even in this situation, I'm actually just curious. We all know Uber bends over backwards to accommodate PAX, will they do it for us? We all know the answer...

16. ATX 22

ATX 22 Well-Known Member

UberHustla: I'm not even in this situation, I'm actually just curious. We all know Uber bends us over to accommodate PAX.

There, fixed your typo for you.
    Lol

UberHustla, LaustinAustin and KeJorn like this.