• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Service Animals??

Ohpoorme

Been reading that order from our Non-employer to allow any animal in my car without any proof! Any animal will be ok no matter how big and can it be with 4 passengers and an animal or how about a pool ride for 2.80 and the dog smells up the car. Then you get another ping and passenger notices the stink so driver gets 1 star rating plus complaint. I've taken riders with dogs that are very tiny or once I could tell the passenger had medical need. My car ... my choice. People lie anyway so are drivers to believe them? Plus service animal needs to be defined as a dog ... what about a small pig or monkey? How about proof and special registration on Uber passenger app where there is documentation as to the type and size of service animal, a photo of the passenger...and no pool rides allowed. This is way too much stupid crap from Uber Management. Too far!

Manotas

Been reading that order from our Non-employer to allow any animal in my car without any proof! Any animal will be ok no matter how big and can it be with 4 passengers and an animal or how about a pool ride for 2.80 and the dog smells up the car. Then you get another ping and passenger notices the stink so driver gets 1 star rating plus complaint. I've taken riders with dogs that are very tiny or once I could tell the passenger had medical need. My car ... my choice. People lie anyway so are drivers to believe them? Plus service animal needs to be defined as a dog ... what about a small pig or monkey? How about proof and special registration on Uber passenger app where there is documentation as to the type and size of service animal, a photo of the passenger...and no pool rides allowed. This is way too much stupid crap from Uber Management. Too far!
Remember you agreed: Even if you're allergic to pet dandruff or if you're bothered by the smell or impatient pet (or owner)... Your employer Eewber told you do take it and shut it. They will pay you nothing extra for it either.

SuperuberSFL

Remember you agreed: Even if you're allergic to pet dandruff or if you're bothered by the smell or impatient pet (or owner)... Your employer Eewber told you do take it and shut it. They will pay you nothing extra for it either.
No - actually it's simple. No dogs period. I'm allergic and they will not get me to the hospital or pay for the big hospital bill or give me the Epipen.
So no thank you. I see one - I'm cancelling and keep going. No exceptions.

No - actually it's simple. No dogs period. I'm allergic and they will not get me to the hospital or pay for the big hospital bill or give me the Epipen.

YorkieLover

No, Uber says you have to take a service animal even if you are allergic need an epipen or you might need to go to the hospital, and if you don't you are breaching your Uber contract and you could face deactivation.
IMG_20170224_212737.jpg

Where did you read that "order?" I haven't seen anything like that at all.
You will get a new agreement before going online soon and here is what it looks like.
12187.jpg
12189.jpg

JimKE

YorkieLover said:
You will get a new agreement before going online soon and here is what it looks like.
View attachment 100377 View attachment 100378
Thanks. I have not seen that yet, but I will gladly agree when I get it.

That document is simply a restatement of the specific requirements of the "Americans with Disabilities Act" (ADA) regarding service animals used by disabled people...which has been established Federal LAW since 1990.

This is nothing new here, folks. Uber waking up after probably getting their butts sued off may be new, but this is as old as the hills.

elelegido

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

SuperuberSFL

No, Uber says you have to take a service animal even if you are allergic need an epipen or you might need to go to the hospital, and if you don't you are breaching your Uber contract and you could face deactivation.
View attachment 100376

View attachment 100377 View attachment 100378

How about this ? I don't give a sh..t. It ain't happening and I don't care what they say or do !!!

Rebuconductor

I had a service dog yesterday and it brought mud into the car. All over the seat, the backs, the floor. I had to take the car out of commission. I sent a cleaning request to Uber and was given $150 in my account. So, I'll take your dog anytime. Any hair left in the seat and I'm filing a complaint.

JimKE

How about this ? I don't give a sh..t. It ain't happening and I don't care what they say or do !!!
I agree with Yorkie. Show 'em who's boss! Stand up! Be strong! Show those "crips" and "sickies" what you're made of...cull the herd!

LMFAO!

I had a service dog yesterday and it brought mud into the car. All over the seat, the backs, the floor. I had to take the car out of commission. I sent a cleaning request to Uber and was given $150 in my account. So, I'll take your dog anytime. Any hair left in the seat and I'm filing a complaint.
And THIS...is legit.

The law requires that we make accommodations for disabled people. It does NOT include damaging our property, or impeding our ability to earn a living.
Well done.

conductor

FLORIDA LAW

(I'm not able to publish the link, but you can find it easily on "leg.state.fl.us"

"A pet is not a service animal "

Some extracts:

413.08 1.d
“Service animal” means an animal that is trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. The work done or tasks performed must be directly related to the individual’s disability and may include, but are not limited to, guiding an individual who is visually impaired or blind, alerting an individual who is deaf or hard of hearing, pulling a wheelchair, assisting with mobility or balance, alerting and protecting an individual who is having a seizure, retrieving objects, alerting an individual to the presence of allergens, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to an individual with a mobility disability, helping an individual with a psychiatric or neurological disability by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors, reminding an individual with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming an individual with posttraumatic stress disorder during an anxiety attack, or doing other specific work or performing other special tasks. A service animal is not a pet. For purposes of subsections (2), (3), and (4), the term “service animal” is limited to a dog or miniature horse. The crime-deterrent effect of an animal’s presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for purposes of this definition.

413.08 3.d
An individual with a disability is liable for damage caused by a service animal if it is the regular policy and practice of the public accommodation to charge nondisabled persons for damages caused by their pets.

I'm not a lawyer, just copy what I found for further research and reference from Uber/Lyft drivers in Florida.

ZZY

Does the statute say anything about the dog owner proving to the driver that their dog is a service animal?

makes_sense

Thanks. I have not seen that yet, but I will gladly agree when I get it.

That document is simply a restatement of the specific requirements of the "Americans with Disabilities Act" (ADA) regarding service animals used by disabled people...which has been established Federal LAW since 1990.

This is nothing new here, folks. Uber waking up after probably getting their butts sued off may be new, but this is as old as the hills.
It's federal law like it says above you have to take them

conductor

Does the statute say anything about the dog owner proving to the driver that their dog is a service animal?
It's federal law like it says above you have to take them
Local Laws just expand the Federal laws.
I just copy what I found on Florida law, there are some states that mandate to include "emotional support" dogs as service animals. Looks like is not the case in Florida. For some other states you need to carry almost any dog.

Fuzzyelvis

Actually the ADA specifically states NO proof is required. Otherwise a disabled person could be stranded if they forgot their paperwork. There is NO proof or official paperwork, badge, certificate etc. in the US. There are plenty of fake certificates though.

This has been covered in SO MANY THREADS. Search here or go to the ADA website for info. Half the drivers here are clueless about the law.

JimKE

Actually the ADA specifically states NO proof is required. Otherwise a disabled person could be stranded if they forgot their paperwork. There is NO proof or official paperwork, badge, certificate etc. in the US. There are plenty of fake certificates though.
Correct. You can buy fake credentials on the Internet, but there is no such thing as a legitimate credential.

This has been covered in SO MANY THREADS. Search here or go to the ADA website for info. Half the drivers here are clueless about the law.
Go to the ADA site. You'll get accurate information there.

Here on UP, you'll just get moronic comments from people who don't know, don't want to know, and are only interested in spouting stupid stuff anonymously on the web. A lot of the comments on this subject are people just trying to be macho, but they only made it as far as nacho.

ZZY

Is it illegal to require the owner of the animal to bring an enclosure or towel etc, for the creature to sit on?
Would you let a naked man sit on your seats? How about put his feet on them?

Manotas

The only service animal I'm comfortable having in my car is me.... or it is service partner? I keep getting those confused

Reactions: ZZY