Serious issues with children and no car seats

Bjo16

The amount of riders iwth children and no car seats is a serious issue here and uber needs to address that, however they dont seem to really care too much. Its really unfair that we have to deal with this bs and have riders yell at us and tell us lies about the laws etc and they should have their accounts cancelled until they can follow the laws. I dont think ive ever had one pax have a car seat on them.

I didnt really know the laws or think about it until recently and hearing other drivers not accepting those rides. I guess basically almost everyone even up til 12 needs a car or booster seat. sure changed a lot since i was a kid.

in any case they should be following the laws but they dont seem to give a crap and take advantage of the drivers. and its 100% certain if theres an accident and teir kid is injured they are going after the driver for taking their kid with no car seat. totally ridiculous and uber needs to send out messages for these people.

Just_in

The amount of riders iwth children and no car seats is a serious issue here and uber needs to address that, however they dont seem to really care too much. Its really unfair that we have to deal with this bs and have riders yell at us and tell us lies about the laws etc and they should have their accounts cancelled until they can follow the laws. I dont think ive ever had one pax have a car seat on them.

I didnt really know the laws or think about it until recently and hearing other drivers not accepting those rides. I guess basically almost everyone even up til 12 needs a car or booster seat. sure changed a lot since i was a kid.

in any case they should be following the laws but they dont seem to give a crap and take advantage of the drivers. and its 100% certain if theres an accident and teir kid is injured they are going after the driver for taking their kid with no car seat. totally ridiculous and uber needs to send out messages for these people.
I totally understand where you are coming from here...Your in a pickle...These people are irresponsible without question.

Look up the vehicle code online DMV.. Know the code or law and what it means...The more information the better..Don't expect Uber to train those types..You need to know for your own sake..

JustFun78

I had a pax the other night that told me her son was fine. I insisted and she walked over to her car and grabbed the booster seat they use in their personal car.

Responsible enough to not drink and drive but no concern for the problems you will have if you get into an accident.

Just_in

I had a pax the other night that told me her son was fine. I insisted and she walked over to her car and grabbed the booster seat they use in their personal car.

Responsible enough to not drink and drive but no concern for the problems you will have if you get into an accident.
Usually they will say that they use the service all the time. No other drivers have ever complained about needing a Car Seat before...

Chauncey Bivitz

Usually they will say that they use the service all the time. No other drivers have ever complained about needing a Car Seat before...
The problem is with the drivers that take the kids without a car seat. If Uber were serious they would shut down the account of any driver that does this. I've brought it up several times and in person. Crickets. They just want to maximize the number of rides and tell the drivers to "use your best judgement" even if it means ruining the life of the poor sap who gets in an accident w/o the proper equipment.

mark edwards

And so many Uber drivers are clearly so desperate- thanks to Uber not paying enough and having too many drivers - that they will take too many risks for a fare.

Thatendedbadly

I guess basically almost everyone even up til 12 needs a car or booster seat. sure changed a lot since i was a kid.
Well, no, while all passengers need be belted per Uber policy, car seat/booster seat requirements drop off at age 7-8 in most states with a minimum weight requirement thrown in. Child restraint laws have been on the books for at least several decades, btw. If a pax gives you grief about not getting a ride because you insist on abiding by your local traffic laws you can always note their name and the rest of the relevant information and report them to CS after cancelling. Not that it would do any good.......

CROWBOY

I don't care what the law says. Cars are using cheaper parts and crumple much easier. I go by recommendations of height, and weight. Never by age. I don't want a kid dying in my car if I get into a wreck. If the shoulder belt is anywhere close to the neck, don't accept the ride unless they're in a booster. Just use your eyes. I've seen kids 12 years old and sitting in a booster. It's better to be safe than sorry. All life is precious!

JustFun78

im not sure that applies to "for hire" vehicles
The law is for all cars. Even buses need to put infants in car seats. They allow them to bend the rules for the booster seat. What is the difference between your car having a "taxi" beacon on your roof and a personal car. A Camry is a Camry and so on. The kid will be hurt either way.

tohunt4me

I've never had Pax without a car seat.
Even had one who's stroller seat was a car seat.

borrowedtune

One time I hadn't even driven 30 seconds away after canceling before getting pinged again by the same pax (with child in arms).

I've also had a flurry of 5 pax attempts lately. While not (technically) children, it's just as dangerous. Point is there's plenty of drivers who do these rides.

CROWBOY

You think this is not a business? Then why are you filing a schedule C?
Where are getting this from? Read the laws about car seats, livery, and taxis. Are vehicles are NOT for hire. We do not have commercial plates. Taxis ate the only ones that can transport children without the appropriate seat. I'm not saying we aren't independent contractors in any way.

uberron73

I had same prb with a young girl passenger other day she had her 1 year old girl with her, an she didn't bring any car seat. So she just held her. I was worried the whole way. Im thinking about carrying a small car seat in the trunk but should I have to? I shouldn't supply this kind of things OR do I?