• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Serious issue today...

Don Oldenburg

about 90 minutes ago, I got a PING from a LYFT rider in the city North of me. About 23 miles one way to pick him up.

Normally, I take all my PINGS as I try to earn the Bonus every week for LYFT and need to keep a high acceptance rate above 90%.

I've had this guy on UBER before. I drove 23 miles, and picked him up. Only to bring him to the grocery store literally 5 blocks away. FARE MINIMUMS APPLIED! Cost me 3 gallons of gas at $4.39 a gallon. or 13.17 in gas, and his $4 fare. NO TIP... I lost almost $10 every time he pings.

This area that he's in is NOT busy with UBER or LYFT. And also not the safest. Check crime stats on 92240 zipcode. There are no drivers up there. I think there is one UBER, but he doesn't take this guys calls either.

Anyway -- I let his LYFT request go. Took the hit on my acceptance rate. End of story? OH HELL NO! I wish it was the end of the story!!!!

for the next hour -- he initiated a new driver request, and because I'm the closest one 23 miles away -- they all come to me. I let them go. 25 times he did this in the past hour!!!!!!! My acceptance rate went from 92% to 42% in an hour!!! 25 missed rides all for "BRUCE"

I even logged out for 10 minutes -- but as this is my livelihood -- I can't stay offline. So I go back on... and within a few moments he must see me logged on, and requests another ride.

FINALLY -- I got the bright idea (or stupid idea -- time will tell), to accept the fare, I drove a few yards, and then indicated I arrived. Drove a few more yards and completed it. JUST SO I COULD RATE HIM! I rated him 1 star (I'm sure he probably rated me the same), but by rating him the 1 star, he will never be paired to me again.

I'm sure LYFT will not remove the 25 pings that I missed -- even know they are clearly all from him. I'm willing to go above and beyond for Lyft.. but MAN this is ridiculous! I did submit a help ticket. I wanted to explain why I indicate I picked him up and dropped him off when I didn't. I didn't want any misunderstanding on my motives.

Anyone have any advise?

elelegido

FINALLY -- I got the bright idea (or stupid idea -- time will tell), to accept the fare, I drove a few yards, and then indicated I arrived. Drove a few more yards and completed it. JUST SO I COULD RATE HIM!
Very, very well thought out. I'm impressed! You're obviously quite a fart smella. What's your day job?

Uber Kraus

about 90 minutes ago, I got a PING from a LYFT rider in the city North of me. About 23 miles one way to pick him up.

Normally, I take all my PINGS as I try to earn the Bonus every week for LYFT and need to keep a high acceptance rate above 90%.

I've had this guy on UBER before. I drove 23 miles, and picked him up. Only to bring him to the grocery store literally 5 blocks away. FARE MINIMUMS APPLIED! Cost me 3 gallons of gas at $4.39 a gallon. or 13.17 in gas, and his $4 fare. NO TIP... I lost almost $10 every time he pings.

This area that he's in is NOT busy with UBER or LYFT. And also not the safest. Check crime stats on 92240 zipcode. There are no drivers up there. I think there is one UBER, but he doesn't take this guys calls either.

Anyway -- I let his LYFT request go. Took the hit on my acceptance rate. End of story? OH HELL NO! I wish it was the end of the story!!!!

for the next hour -- he initiated a new driver request, and because I'm the closest one 23 miles away -- they all come to me. I let them go. 25 times he did this in the past hour!!!!!!! My acceptance rate went from 92% to 42% in an hour!!! 25 missed rides all for "BRUCE"

I even logged out for 10 minutes -- but as this is my livelihood -- I can't stay offline. So I go back on... and within a few moments he must see me logged on, and requests another ride.

FINALLY -- I got the bright idea (or stupid idea -- time will tell), to accept the fare, I drove a few yards, and then indicated I arrived. Drove a few more yards and completed it. JUST SO I COULD RATE HIM! I rated him 1 star (I'm sure he probably rated me the same), but by rating him the 1 star, he will never be paired to me again.

I'm sure LYFT will not remove the 25 pings that I missed -- even know they are clearly all from him. I'm willing to go above and beyond for Lyft.. but MAN this is ridiculous! I did submit a help ticket. I wanted to explain why I indicate I picked him up and dropped him off when I didn't. I didn't want any misunderstanding on my motives.

Anyone have any advise?
So the guy expects you to drive all that way and then sit there while he grocery shops? I think that if Lyft has the power to prevent you from being paired with him again the story is over. What a bummer!

claritys

This sounds like a terrible mistake. From what it sounds, you charged him for a ride you didn't do? That is completely unprofessional :/ At the very least, you could have given him the ride and rated 3 stars (still would not be paired again). I understand why you did it, but I really hope this doesn't kick your ass later

A lot of people in areas that don't have cabs rely on Uber/Lyft to get around, especially in "bad" areas where they can't afford/aren't allowed their own transportation. I get that you shouldn't have to risk losing any income, but I feel like this should have been handled differently. Good luck

ReviTULize

Anyone have any advise?
I accept about 10% of my Lyft requests. Never had an issue. Don't ever lose money because you care about acceptance rates. You can always justify that far distance if needed

elelegido

This sounds like a terrible mistake. From what it sounds, you charged him for a ride you didn't do? That is completely unprofessional :/ At the very least, you could have given him the ride and rated 3 stars (still would not be paired again). I understand why you did it, but I really hope this doesn't kick your ass later

A lot of people in areas that don't have cabs rely on Uber/Lyft to get around, especially in "bad" areas where they can't afford/aren't allowed their own transportation. I get that you shouldn't have to risk losing any income, but I feel like this should have been handled differently. Good luck
Driver hit "Picked Up" by mistake, then the app locked up and he couldn't cancel it. All he could do was end the trip. Lyft CSR drones refund the pax his $5 or $6 and job done.

Don Oldenburg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So the guy expects you to drive all that way and then sit there while he grocery shops? I think that if Lyft has the power to prevent you from being paired with him again the story is over. What a bummer!
Yeah, it sucks.

Don Oldenburg

I accept about 10% of my Lyft requests. Never had an issue. Don't ever lose money because you care about acceptance rates. You can always justify that far distance if needed
Yeah, but that 20% bonus makes you strive for 90% acceptance. Which I usually can get!

Don Oldenburg

I think you have misread it. He did it to stop the pax from making requests that would result in significant financial and time losses for him. Entirely justified.
Thank you elelegido... But will life reverse the 25 missed rides for him?

Teksaz

Why not just drive a few miles in the opposite direction to get out of range once you had the app off?

Don Oldenburg

Why not just drive a few miles in the opposite direction to get out of range once you had the app off?
Well -- not sure if I can explain this -- The valley here is about 40 miles long and 10 miles wide. He's at the top of the 10 miles, and I'm at the bottom. He's more east, which makes the 23 miles. I can't go any further WEST OR SOUTH from him as I'm surrounded by mountains. I'd have to go north west about 45 miles to get further way, but I'd be closer before I was further. I could go east -- down valley, but same thing... I have to travel almost the 30 miles to the opposid=te end of the valley to escape him. Bottom line, both those options are further way than he is.

claritys

I guess I have a totally different perspective, seeing as how I drive in a busy city, and this is my primary source of income. I think my farthest ping was under a 10 minute drive, but most are under 5.

Also, if you spend 3 gallons of gas on a 23 mile drive, you probably have a less than ideal vehicle for ridesharing? That sounds like gawd awful gas mileage!

Hope it all works out though

elelegido

Well -- not sure if I can explain this -- The valley here is about 40 miles long and 10 miles wide. He's at the top of the 10 miles, and I'm at the bottom. He's more east, which makes the 23 miles. I can't go any further WEST OR SOUTH from him as I'm surrounded by mountains. I'd have to go north west about 45 miles to get further way, but I'd be closer before I was further. I could go east -- down valley, but same thing... I have to travel almost the 30 miles to the opposid=te end of the valley to escape him. Bottom line, both those options are further way than he is.
He did not deduce from your post that you were in a location where you regularly wait for pings, or that the pax was in a location he regularly requests from.

But anyway, 15 mpg highway? What do you drive, a Sherman tank?